Logic Pro coming to iPad

Logic Pro has been announced for the iPad! I use koala sampler on my iPad with my digitakt all the time. Seems cool to use Logic Pro as a way to record my beats into logic to EQ, etc.

I hope elektron makes a transfer and overbridge app for iOS one day that way I can basically do everything I want with just the digitakt and an iPad.

17 Likes

Subscription :frowning:

7 Likes

$50 a year is damn cheap

6 Likes

Yeah, I expect this will be a big kick in the pants for AUv3 support :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Logic Pro on desktop has been pretty much the only game in town where you could have a pro grade DAW as a (relatively low cost) one off purchase then expect updates that keep it pro grade over many years. I get the business model they’ve used here - it’s a loss leader to keep people buying Apple hardware.

However, looking at how successful subscription models have been for Apple elsewhere, I’m not at all surprised they’ve gone this way for the iPad versions of Logic and Final Cut. I expect they’ll go this way on desktop soon enough too if there’s not too strong a backlash to the model on iPad.

I don’t begrudge them it, funding software development is hard. $49/year is a good price point for an already established product that has the potential to be the heart of a mobile setup.

I love Logic Pro on the desktop. I’ve been trying to make Drambo work as the heart of my mobile music making setup and it’s not been straight forward. As much as I do love Drambo, I’m somewhat relieved at the prospect of finally being able to Logic Pro both mobile and desk bound.

Feeling pretty positive about this.

10 Likes

Haven’t read yet, but it is the Loopy Pro model where basic functionality updates will keep the app going if you choose to not upgrade? Or will the app be unusable if not continuously subscribed?

Doesn’t matter to me, I’ll try it for a year and decide if I want to keep going. Just curious.

1 Like

Wow. WOW. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Hmm, mixed feelings here. This is fairly cheap as far as subscriptions go, but I hope this pricing model doesn’t show up for the desktop version. I definitely don’t want to see in-app subs for instruments etc. I would like to see these UI developments incorporated into Logic Remote, but I worry that they’ll just end up ditching LR altogether – it’s still pretty underpowered and hasn’t had a major update in years.

Not to be too gloomy but this feels like it could be the start of Apple slicing up and monetizing all of the great stuff that comes with the current, fixed price version of Logic.

Also: Lack of headphone jack still a notable asspain.

7 Likes

I expect it’s the litmus test to see whether Logic Pro XI can go subscription only. I’m sure this won’t happen with Logic Pro X.

1 Like

If they try it with the desktop version expect to see a massive backlash, a la the recent Waves debacle. Turns out music professionals aren’t as passive as design professionals. Every time a music software company tries to move to a subscription model they get humble pie forced down their gullet. I bet if I went to a gearspace topic about this right now I’d find people saying they will never pay a subscription for Logic even though nothing of that sort has been announced.

2 Likes

To be fair, you can go a long, long way with the free Garage Band and then import your GB project into LPX if you need specific premium capability to finish your track…I do this where I use the iPad portable and LPX on a MBP/Mac back in the ‘studio’ (e.g. my dingy bedroom).
I wonder if GB will continue to be provided free and if, in the future, I can have one LP subscription that works across Mac/MBP & iPad?
Obs. at the moment I’m enjoying my LPX licence on Mac and MBP with all the updates to this major version for free.

5 Likes

Yeah though my problem with subs is sometimes I don’t use it for few months and I’m paying for it which is annoying

Also as a student/teacher I can get full copies of logic and Final Cut for £200 to own forever so I guess £100 to own them on an iPad for one year seems steep.

2 Likes

LOL, 2nd post in. Must be some kind of record:

Who wants to give me a fiver?

4 Likes

Great! I just bought a 12.9 inch iPad Pro (2021) when they went on sale after the new ones came out late last year. I was upgrading from a basic iPad hoping to use it for music, but really haven’t yet. Hopefully, already being a Logic (and Bitwig) user, this version of Logic will inspire me to use my iPad for more music noodling.

3 Likes

To cover your first month’s subscription to Logic, I presume?

6 Likes

:scream:

I have no iPad yet I must scream

6 Likes

I’ll need to buy a new iPad if this version of Logic is any good, because mine is a Pro from 2017 and unsupported. Maybe going to ‘just’ an M1 from a couple of years ago isn’t that great a move, as I suspect that Logic will be quite power-hungry and I’ll want to do as much as possible on it / futureproof it! Plus, a new iPad will eat Drambo and Loopy Pro for breakfast, giving me loads more options to max out those apps.

2 Likes

Not when the desktop version is a one time fee of $200 for Logic and $300 for FCP. :imp:

2 Likes

I got them both for $200 with the student pricing!

1 Like

Cheap is a relative term. One man’s cheap wine is another man’s ambrosia Those that want this app will subscribe, others wont, it’s all good.

They got me for a year already and it’s not even out yet.

3 Likes