LIVEN 8bit warps

8-bit waveform memory synthesizer with a step sequencer, with a focus on live electronic performance.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sonicware/liven-8bit-warps-8bit-wave-memory-synthesizer-8/description

7 Likes

I backed instantly, the Band Set is where it’s at, you get the ELZ_1 and the Liven for under $550! Limited number though, snatch them up people. Firmware 3.0 for the ELZ_1 added so much good stuff.

2 Likes

I’m too broke right now but will definitely pick this up. I was just looking at 8bit synths on the market a few days ago.
Plocks on a 64 step sequencer…wicked!!

1 Like

Has anyone else scooped? The sound of the Liven is extremely appealing to me. The campaign video is alright but the two other videos really show off the engines.

…thank god, i have my oto bisquit for all this lofi bit reduction charme…

but i would give this a try if it would already exist…

1 Like

That video at the top of the kickstarter looks like an old Tim & Eric clip.

Is this just one of the elz-1s engine broken out in to a separate box with more dedicated buttons/knobs? Is it adding anything unique not available on the other box?

Looks great for a sub-$200 synth, it knows what it wants to be.

2 Likes

From what I can tell it’s new engines and new effects for this specific synth, there is some overlap with ELZ-1 in that they can both make video game sounds but looks like an all-new unit.

1 Like

Lack of drums is a pity, otherwise it’d be a great groovebox…

1 Like

I feel you, but this is a dedicated synthesizer, not a groovebox, so I understand why it doesn’t have them. Maybe they will come out with a drum machine for the next Liven box…

I’m also wondering why there’s not more interest. Elz-1 somehow passed me by… I wonder if going up to that level is more worthwhile, untimately, but this is so cheap and straightforward and it’s hard to not want to give it a try.

What else is this comparable to?

The Kickstarter is climbing steadily, it was at $17k yesterday and it’s almost at $26k today so I think there’s pretty good interest. I would be really disappointed if it didn’t hit the goal because I have wanted the ELZ-1 for a long time and this is a really amazing price for both instruments. $545 USD, incredible value. Even though the Liven is really inexpensive, I think the band set is really the way to go. GO BACK THIS EVERYONE… so I can get mine.

I guess it’s sort of comparable to having a DMG with nanoloop, but the sequenced modes are in addition to being a fully playable performance synth. Nanoloop of course is a fully featured groovebox with drum synthesis etc so not totally comparable. It also REALLY reminds me of Elektron gear, kind of a combination of the MK1 boxes with some model:samples DNA.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this is just the first in a series. I’d personally rather have one multi-talented box.

The main thing that put me of the elz1 is that it is mono-timbral. Such a shame as it could be awesome as a little production unit.

I sent the guys a message regarding the Liven 8 - it’s also mono timbral. The looper is an audio looper, with the plan being 2-3 tracks or overdubbing capabilities. This makes it pretty fun sounding and encourages a similar-ish workflow to the op-1.

I wonder why they chose to put the input/output jacks on the face and not the back. I would very much prefer the latter as I feel the cables get more wear and are in the way with this config.
It’s one (of a few) of the reasons I never got any Volcas

I’ve always really liked the ports on the top of gear, or for keyboards on the side, so I was pumped to see this, it’s MUCH nicer when arranging gear on a desk to have the I/O on top so you can have the back of the module right up against another piece of gear. It’s one of the big strengths of the Volcas, you can stick them all together in a grid. If the cables came out the back, the cool little racks and cases people make for their Volcas would not work. I don’t think it’s an issue for cable strain, it’s just MIDI and 3.5mm jacks and those are lightweight. Never had a single issue with the jacks on my Volcas since they launched and I’ve taken them everywhere.

1 Like

Fair points.
Personally I like stacking the gear behind above the piece in front. It of course makes room for the cables but I also usually angle the back piece for easier use. Kind of like the two-piece stands for the AR/A4 mk1s, but not as extreme of an angle
I’ll just have to get angled cables

1 Like

With right-angle cables and top-mounted I/O you definitely get the best of both worlds, probably the most-damage-proof type of configuration. Good idea.

1 Like

Anyone interested in hearing what the ELZ_1 is like, watch this video. Relevant because of Band Set.

2 Likes

Ok, ok… so, if you’ve promised yourself no new gear for 2020, does backing this Kickstarter count? Even if you go for the Band Set? Asking for…uh… a “friend”?

3 Likes

I’m not getting any gear, but I backed it…for a friend.

3 Likes