Live recording without losing steps

Hey!

Can anybody tell me the reason behind my trigs getting yellow when live recording and recording over existing steps? I mean… why?

The yellow ones are trigless locks. When you re playing, depending on how long you keep the key pressed different params are changing depending on the patch, so basically even if your sound triggers on one step(trig) depending on how long you keep the key pressed when live recording the sound generated could fill all the steps. So basically the yellow steps represent only automations.

yes, but this is not what I intend to have and I don’t see any reason this could be helpful

Most of the times it happened to me it was ´cause I turned one or several knobs but forgot to exit live recording mode.

1 Like

Good for you. Means you always play on point. I didn’t talk about trigless locks from turning knobs. Overlaying notes are getting erased and turned into trigless trigs which do absolutely nothing. This can destroy existing perfect melodies (happens all the time to me).

I just don’t get the purpose of this behaviour. The coder of this feature had clearly something in mind when doing it this way. For me it’s a disaster. Worst “feature” (?) ever.

Kind of rude dude. I’m not even sure what you are meaning, trigless is awesome.

4 Likes

My understanding is that Digitone doesn’t currently have any live overdubbing features.

1 Like

Hmm, yeah… seems like it. I get that it’s not easy to implement for all possible situations - on the MIDI side it’s working though with long notes not turning the next overlapping note into trigless lock.

why are you trying to overdub several performances? it can’t do that, after the first pass it’ll attempt to stack the notes which results in trigless locks. just stop playing when the pattern loops.

err…it‘s something the box can „playback“ but not „record“ (you can add long notes manually which overlap the next trig).

Sometimes it‘s not so easy to know when the loop sets in (especially when you didn’t start at trig 1) or actually I don‘t want to count steps at all but add blindly long notes in the spaces between trigs. Does that make sense?

Seems like an issue of different paradigms - that of the looper and that of the sequencer.

You can live record and add to the sequence as it loops, but you’re not overdubbing (creating multiple contiguous tracks) here - you’re just adding to the sequence and, as mentioned, what you add may erase what was there before. Because you can do this while the sequence is playing it may appear similar to overdubbing if you’re used to thinking about things in the looper paradigm, but, as you’re finding, the underlying functionality is different.

While a looper mode that allows overdubbing might well be a fun feature, the current functionality is the expected way for a sequencer to work.

3 Likes

sure, but the sequencer doesn’t work the way you want it to. try releasing the keys before you reach the next trig then making them longer with plocks.

1 Like

:+1:

I‘d have to memorize the whole sequence then …know exactly where I am and where the next trig is - most of the time I‘m (literally) on another page :wink:

Man, I just don‘t want to have my trigs converted to trigless trigs with all the important info erased.

Of course I could also NOT use the live rec mode and just sequence like it is 1960 and don‘t have that issue.

I guess the discussion has come to an end here.

This is definitely because of your tone, and it would be decent to at least have the courtesy to stay respectful to the people that are trying to answer your question.

9 Likes

As of today, Live recording mode only makes it possible to record once for a trig.
So if you place a C on first loop, and a Db on the second recording of the loop, Db will overwrite C.

The actual implementation has some interest (precisely when I figure I’d like a Db instead of a C).

What you describe, being able to stack new notes and basically overdub on the MIDI notes, could be implemented on top of it I guess, but this is a feature request.
You may send a detailed (and respectful) request to feature-request@elektron.se or maybe debate about this idea in details before (how could such feature be implemented without messing with the existing implementation?)
Note that you will still have limitations (e.g. one velocity per trig, and more generally only one value per trig) because this is how Elektron step sequencer works.

DN implementation was better than A4 already, there was some improvements (e.g. adding a new note to an arp in live recording). It’s not impossible to imagine further improvements, but they would have to find their way through an already compact workflow.

3 Likes

Oh, I am sorry - I didn‘t want to sound rude at all! Just had the feeling the arguments get repeated over and over again.

1 Like

Actually what you are describing is something I seldom experience (that a trig gets exchanged with another working trig).

Most of the time I add long notes in the spaces. You are writing about the opposite (if I understood you correctly).

The thing is: if I added the notes in MIDI (on the DT and send it to the DN) I THiNk it would work (can‘t check right now) with overlapping notes

What you’re encountering is frustration. It is blatant in every message you wrote in this discussion.

We’ve all been through this, trust me.
At some point either you pick another instrument, or you take the time to figure how the machine works, learn your instrument from A to X (there are always some spots left in the shadow) and turn its weaknesses and strenghts to your advantage and greatest joy.

Maybe what you are describing was not really understood then. At least I don’t ^^
Would you mind describing this more in details?

2 Likes

Pete I do understand were you are coming from and i would put it down to getting to grips with Elektron as opposed to, say Korg. It’s not a live looper and can give unexpected results when holding the keys. Maybe try a midi keyboard?