Live recording without losing steps

16 steps, … trig on step 5 and 7 (both 1/16th). Pattern in live rec looping - I play a note on step 1 and let go at step 6. Step 5 is now turned into a trigless trig and won‘t play anymore.

Somethin to do with note length…I dunno.

Hmm, what would change with a MiDi keyboard?

Actually I’m not sure :slight_smile: I haven’t connected one.

as a workaround you could probably use the 4 midi tracks to control one main track, setting up a midi loopback cable.
then maybe you could “resample” trigs, i mean recording the 4 midi tracks merged in your main track?
does that make sense? not entirely sure it would work correctly :sweat_smile:

You’ve mentioned recording from the DT into the DN?
I often use 4 midi tracks on the DT to correspond with the 4 DN tracks. This way i can record a sequence on the DN and then record an overlaying sequence on the DT’s corresponding midi track. This way you will have two sequencers running instead of one and will avoid recording over notes in the DN’s sequencer.
You can take it a step further and record the incoming DT’s notes into the DN carefully (start and stop recording in those spaces you mentioned, make sure to save your DN track information/pattern before doing that so you can revert back just in case).
I usually leave those “extra” DT midi tracks as is and use them as filler notes or even b sections. Results could be surprising as this effects voice stealing/allocation on the DN. Performance wise it has some value. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I ran some tests tonight, and I can more confidently say I was wrong and you were right, dear @PekeDorty: what you describe looks very well like a bug that should be declared.
I noticed that A4 is correctly implemented in this regard.
But when you set the arp on, DN is the one that is correctly implemented, while A4 is wrong : if you’re holding a chord and add a note, the chords gets interrupted in the recording, so what you record doesn’t match what you’ve played.

Anyway, please write a ticket to Elektron support so that it gets fixed !
:thup:

5 Likes

That’s a bummer. To get around it until a fix is in place, if it’s confirmed as a bug, could you copy the sound to another track and record your long notes that overlap with the others on a separate track? It means sacrificing a track, of course, but it won’t ruin your original sequence as you describe. Just a thought for a quick workaround

1 Like

Thanks for testing and confirming. I was about to surrender and think it‘s just my fault (I guess that‘s where the „blatant frustration“ was coming from).

1 Like

Yes, I am doing that already - it‘s a nice
workflow - it can be nice for a performance / variation to mute tracks.

1 Like

So guys i’m having same issue! DN just changing a trigs without playing any additional notes at all in live recording mode. I am really stressed out about that plus hanging notes. It just shouldn’t be that way.

So i think it’s only happening when your default trig length set really long, it somehow corresponds with live recording and giving such a mess. I’ve tried to replicate it few times and it’s gone on perc track. So i’ve set trig value pretty low and give it a chance again- works!

Hello everyone! I am a fresh born electronaut so please dont beat me up if i come around noobish …
Anyways, pretty much the same struggle over here. New to Elektron devices -> gave it an extra long trial and error before I decided to contribute to this conversation. But as I got it right i have similar issues. Even if shortening the trig length, the notes I try to play on top of the ones I recorded in live mode before delete the existing ones.
Though if I play them all at the same time i could easily have a kick , snare and tom at the same step with a hihat on top, but thats not how i would suggest writing drum sequences in a live ish workflow at all.
The alternative of sacrificing other midi tracks works too of course but both workarounds seem to me more buggy than bummery I must say.
So is there any chance of another a work around?
To be fair, I do understand the argument that DN is a melodic instrument in the first place - the sequencer does its job there I would say.
But still its kind of frustrating as my workflow is more in a way that I would multilayer even melodies and not just drum patterns.

1 Like

I would suggest to file a bug report. Maybe include the link to this post.

1 Like

Ok, i would say so too, but also thought its still on the edge of being a function request.

Hey, just change voices to 1 and then write melody and after u done u can add more voice if need. Then it will work as u like

did you check yourselfif that works? Existing trigs don’t turn yellow?

Hey Ragava, thanx for the hint, but sadly this doesnt help changing the problem. I am pretty sure that it doesnt have to do with the 8 voice polyphony of the internal synth engine, I really banged as many notes I could at once into the midi tracks while live recording my sequences, so loads of hearable voices per step on the recorded sequence, as soon I started hitting other notes, all previous ones disappear except the last one I tried to add to the sequence. So why would there be an internal possibility of recording so many voices at once without interfering with the 8 v poly of the synth engine but no chance to stack them seperately on each new run of the pattern?
Even with step sequencing I have a hard time doing that so far. Any hints appreciated!

Did this ever get addressed?

1 Like

let’s remind elektron by sending a feature request … one of the biggest “bugs” imho

1 Like