Live record mod wheel PB data from external keyboard?

sad. still a great update

1 Like

So, no word on at least passing PB and MW through the dtgitakt to the digitone?

Right now I’m running digitakt-keystep-digitone.
Problems: can’t use the key step on the digitakt, have to disable the key step sequencer and arp to actually play the digitone while playing a digitakt/digitone sequence.

What are the downsides to running keystep-digitone-digitakt?

+1, at least PB + MW pass-through

2 Likes

maybe others know this, but the Octatrack does pass through Pitch, Mod Wheel, and Aftertouch for midi.
I recently switched my midi control over to the OT, that and the Arp and 3 midi LFOs make it a big upgrade in my opinion.

1 Like

Hi, do you mean Octatrack passes through MW, AT on MIDI OUT port? Not MIDI THRU but OUT, right?

This is how to have the Digitakt pass through CC messages:

1. Configure your controller to transmit CC70 through CC77. These CCs control the CC value knobs in the Digitakt’s MIDI tracks.
  2. Set the Digitakt’s CC select controls to the CCs you want your synth to receive.

I always have to configure my master keyboard to send the modwheel on CC70, and on the Digitakt I set SEL1 to CC1 (modwheel). Thus the Digitakt receives the modwheel on CC70 from my keyboard and translates it to CC1 for the synth. Likewise, I have my keyboard send the sustain pedal on CC71 and set the Digitakt’s SEL2 to CC64 (sustain).

I can confirm that this works on OS 1.30. Some early OS versions had an issue where the CC value knobs are controlled out of order, and one of their ranges is limited to 0-2 instead of 0-127.

I would be very happy if they enabled MIDI control of the PB and MW controls of MIDI tracks, as well as the sustain pedal being passed through. I like to play live on my synths instead of relying on sequencing alone.

5 Likes

Another +1 for PB passthrough. Seems like something quite basic

2 Likes

Oh actually, there is one partial solution I just figured out which allows the pitch bend and mod wheel to be use live (not recorded):

I’m using Digitakt, Keystep and Volca Keys.
Just patch the Digitakt MIDI out to the Keystep MIDI in and then Keystep MIDI out to your synth. You get the full unfiltered MIDI expression of your MIDI keyboard and also ability to sequence the synth from Digitakt.
The only downside is you can’t record anything live from the MIDI keyboard into the Digitakt, but generally in my workflow I’m only playing back sequences and playing live keys.

Could work for some.

2 Likes

This is especially absurd to me since the Digitone has the same limitations and feels at this point really like a synth that is in bed with a drum-sequencer…
Also EVERY other Midi parameter can be recorded at least in a quantized way – even the LFOs run continuously. But we need to midi loopback and map AT/MOD to different parameters to even record them in the most basic way…

Just joining the crowd, I just got my Digi and the lack of midi retrigger and MW/PW passing through is honestly frustrating.