Live hardware performances that you've found inspiring / memorable

What are the live hardware performances that you find inspiring or particularly memorable? The ones you keep coming back to?

Really like this by Magna Pia

And this one by Blawan

5 Likes

she smashed

also an all time fav

4 Likes

There still doesn’t seem to be a way to watch it if you didn’t watch the original stream, but this was absolutely banging:

Also Cercle has some killer sets:

5 Likes

Any Nils Frahm show. I’ve seen him each time he came to Montreal (4 times).

14 Likes

so chill and relaxed

4 Likes
5 Likes
1 Like

Some other live show favourites discussion here:

1 Like
7 Likes

Obvious choice is obvious, but still:

15 Likes

This one is a killer set ! Could listen to it on repeat.

this is probably such standard fare kit at this point but I’ll still post it anyway.

6 Likes

first saw Dubtribe live in 1994, when many tecnho acts were still miming to DATs. definitely changed my idea of what a PA could/should be

helped the promoter with a couple of Prodigy’s US dates on Experience tour in 1993. the energy and Liam remixing shit basically on the fly with his W-30s was bananas for the time (or any time)

Saffron wasn’t with N-Joi (alas) when they came to the states in 95/96 but still always loved the way they programmed their sets to play start to finish without any breaks (and that closing track always kills me)

and Orbital on their 93 US tour, even though all i could see onstage were the torches

5 Likes

This may be cheating, but the best hardware performance I’ve ever seen was Jamie Lidell after his laptop, which was the center of his rig, shit the bed at the start (?) of the show, likely around the late 2000’s.

He had a looper setup with a mic that he’d use with along with the sequenced tracks and, when he couldn’t get the laptop back in order quickly enough, he just started building up loops with just his voice. Drums, percussion, a bassline and then started singing over it. It slayed.

Eventually the laptop came back on and he could do the set as planned, but my favorite part was him on his toes. The man can improvise with the best of them.

6 Likes

And she’s coming to Montreal on November 23rd.

7 Likes

This is a pretty different rig than what he’s using now, but I come back to this performance from @DaveMech pretty often:

This one is also fantastic:

This might be cheating (sorry OP!) but: although this is a DJ set, to my ears it’s a master class in live performance. I’m sure there’s a separate thread for DJ sets but I couldn’t resist

7 Likes

It was the Nils Frahm documentary that rekindled (after decades) my interest in hardware synthesizers and so was responsible for me being here bothering all of you.

When I saw Jamie Lidell (touring Multiply, so 2005-6), this is how he’d start most of his songs. It was pretty impressive.

8 Likes

That was the same tour! Yeah, he just went off, but it was clearly not in the script. He’s just such a brilliant musician.

1 Like

Anthony Rother, Fuse Bruxelles, 2003

Got that in a pre Youtube era with his Das Ist Elektro DVD back in the days… <3

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/live/VKV1sdt4qRY?feature=share

4 Likes