Lil' Erebus DIY Kit

That depends if I succeed in building the Erebus :slight_smile: And how Iā€™ll enjoy the process. Since Iā€™ve never done it, I canā€™t tell for now.
I watched a lot of DIY tutorials the last days. I have a better clue now, what Iā€™ll have to do and which electronic elements I have to know.
And which tools I need, Iā€™m only struggling to decide how much money to put in the tools

Sounds convincing :slight_smile:

Cheap tools cost you more in the long run, knowing if youā€™re in for the haul is the real question!

I second getting something like a 888D though, after a few DIY Euro kits I upgraded from a no-brand station to one and it made everything a lot less frustrating.

Also this series has a lot of good info, some is overkill but not a bad basis to build onā€¦ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ

1 Like

I watched his soldering tutorial. Was very helpful

This as well

Another tip is to make sure you get solder with water-solutable flux. That way you can just hold your boards under hot running water to clean them after soldering.

1 Like

orderd this one, after just finishing a Bastl Kastl as my first kit build. Did some minor repairs on a Korg DW600 and replace the rotaryā€™s on a blofeld for my soldering training.

Hopefully this doesnā€™t suck me into the modular holeā€¦:slight_smile:

I hope you ordered the cardboard then. otherwise itā€™s time for a case :wink:

1 Like

i did and i was allready looking into some other small diy modules like this one (https://aisynthesis.com/product/eurorack-multiple-diy-kit/ ) to power up with the supplied powersuply, and making plans to make a slightly larger cardbox case to house them. i has already startedā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

So this could be your next build :wink:

:rofl::cold_sweat:

1 Like

Mine will arrive tomorrow. Will post some updates here of the build process and hopefully functional end result.

1 Like

Nice

i got shipping confirmation for mine too , though im in the uk , might arrive later in the week i guess.
getting the desktop version.

Ordered mine on Thursday and received it yesterday, UK and Greece must be closer than I thought.
The kitā€™s parts are really neatly arranged and packed. The cardboard box seems sturdy, hopefully Friday night I will have time to start soldering.
Based on how successful Iā€™ll be, I might upgrade the iron and look for another module to go with the Erebus, most likely a source of mudulation

1 Like

Just as an intellectual exercise I thought of some easy build diy friend who would work with the Lilā€™ Erebusā€¦
I wanted to add a Befaco Rampage kit, but apparently thatā€™s a hard buildā€¦

2 Likes

iā€™m surprised no one has released cardboard euro rack cases.
could be quite sturdyā€¦
and much cheaper than the cheapest ones out there

1 Like
3 Likes

my version wouldnt need any of the metal either. just more cardboard to add a groove along the box that the screws (which normally screw into the rail) would rest in.

and try to use more folds than glue , though this might make the required cardboard sheet bigger.
maybe iā€™ll have a go. i currently have 3 x roland fx boxes in some of the packaging that came with my ps4.