Lil' Erebus DIY Kit

Nice. Erebus is back.

2 Likes

Damn, I have a weakness for these kits. The price is unreal for all that you get.

Yes. And erebus is such a nice synth. I have to learn soldering

Shit, I think I just ordered one.

I only soldered an XLR Drum before, from the instruction this doesnā€™t seem much harder but has more componentsā€¦

Oh well, I guess Iā€™ll call my mistakes ā€œindividual characterā€ā€¦

Also, does this ā€œAssembled power bus board (sockets for 3 modules)
-12V -> 150mA, +12V -> 500mA, +5V-> N/Aā€ mean that if I add a different case I can plug in 2 more modules?

1 Like

Iā€˜ve done the hades kit and if itā€˜s the same MIDI conversion donā€˜t expect a ā€žroad runnerā€œ latency conversion!

mine gets driven by a quicker eurorack MIDI interface sequenced by DT, but iā€˜m still not very happy ā€¦

if the tune knob is also that sensitive, make sure you always have some 440Hz around to tune!

despite these facts the dreadbox stuff sounds really nice, if you like waspy filters ā€¦

prizing is worth to think about learning soldering :wink:
through hole pcbs are pretty simple to assemble and if you start with DIY stuff beware of opening pandoras box, this universe has no end :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yeah, sounds like it. As long as you donā€™t have a module that requires +5V, and you can stay under about 80-90% of the +/- 12V limits, you could add a couple other modules. Not a lot of power headroom though, so beware. Simple modulation sources would probably be best.

In a moment of self confidence I ordered it :loopy:
Now I HAVE to learn this

3 Likes

Itā€˜s no big deal. Get some training kits from Conrad or Reichelt and a decent soldering iron. I built a Shruthi after the same kind of preparation and I have two left hands when it comes to these things. Do yourself a favor and use leaded solder.

1 Like

Nice! As it was mentioned, through-hole assembly isnā€™t too difficult. The MAIN THING to remember is to take your time. A little time spent to make sure youā€™re doing the right thing is much, much better than rushing through and having to re-do things (or worse, rush and destroy your pcb or a component). If you can, find a small kit to practice with.

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched soldering tutorials and DIY Eurorack builds for the last three evenings :sweat_smile:
Actually Iā€™m looking forward to it.
I will buy something to practice first. And I will take my time for sure.
Just thinking about the right tools now, and how much money too spend for them

Bam Dude!
Makes me smile :slight_smile:

DonĀ“t make your first steps on that PCB and practice desoldering! This will safe your aā€¦ in case of doin mistakes!

IĀ“ve desoldered a complete Behringer 19" Compressor to practice when iĀ“ve started :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Nice!
If it goes fine I might build a shruthi as well. Nice sound.
Actually there are a lot of nice synth I considered to buy before available as kitā€¦
Preen fm e.g. And some nice modules.
Oh stop. My aim wasnā€™t to buy more synths :sweat_smile:
Well letā€™s see if I can get the erebus right first

I wonā€™t. Iā€™m a cautious person with things like that.
Iā€™ll get something to practice

1 Like

Practice desoldering too while youā€˜re at it :joy: - had to learn that the hard way.

1 Like

OK :slight_smile:

Biggest problem is too find out what to buy. Too much stuff available.
From 20 up to several hundredsā€¦

Decide based on how often you want to solder in the future. You can certainly get by with the cheapest soldering equipment. The more expensive stuff only makes the experience nicer and more controlled. But I started building modular synth kits with a Radioshack $20 soldering iron and desoldering braid. All of those modules still work today.

1 Like

Hakko FX-888D

2 Likes

Some good advice in here. I started with an el cheapo soldering iron station, and it worked. When I decided to step up to a Hakko FX-888D, everything became infinitely easier. Itā€™s only around $100 and makes soldering a much more enjoyable experience. The cheaper iron didnā€™t keep temperature very stable, so I often had to linger on a solder pad longer to make sure the solder flowed. It became nerve-wracking sometimes, because I didnā€™t want to damage a pad. However, good quality PCBs are pretty tough. Either way, youā€™ll get there, it just depends on whether you think youā€™ll be doing a lot more hobby electronics. If so, go for the better iron.

A good soldering iron is especially important if youā€™re a beginner, IMHO. Donā€™t make the same mistakes I made, and just get the Hakko. :slight_smile:

1 Like