Lightweight fly case that fits as a cabin luggage

After I finished my full portable setup, I just realized that I might need a smaller alternative that could fit as a cabin luggage.

The Magma Carry Lite L is almost what I want (and the only one fitting the cabin size), but it doesn’t have enough depth for my needs. I really like these Carry Lite models, but I can’t find any alternatives with a different size.

My internal dimension needs: 38cm depth x 48cm wide x 10cm height.
That’s basically a bottom row with 2 digis, and a top row with either a Roland Boutique, or the MM2 with the Bluebox, with (barely) enough space for power and wiring.

The case should be lightweight (4 kg max), with a removable top case, with foam to protect for travel.

Do you know any case (or custom case maker, preferably in Europe) that could fit the bill?

1 Like

You can order custom cases from Thomann (from their own Thon brand). They propose a lot of options (e.g., detachable lid), and my experience with them is very positive. I currently use a custom guitar pedal case, which has the advantage that all synths are placed on a flat board when I take off the cover.

Regarding foam, I prefer using proper high-density foam sheets that you can cut yourself to the little “soft cube” nightmare…

1 Like

there’s a pelican case (h-7694) which is 35.5 x 48.2 x 20.32 ID
there is a slightly larger one (h-6459) at 43.1 x 55.8 x 20.32 ID

Pelican™ Boxes, Pelican™ Case Foam, Pelican™ Cases in Stock - ULINE I’m sure you could find a retailer closer to you.

here’s a thread about people giving advice on how to remove the lids of pelican cases, you’d just need a small tool to push or pop out the hinge pin, then replace when you’re done.

Anyone modified a Peli Case to have removable lid? - MOD WIGGLER

1 Like

eh, I think the tradeoff of the convenient and quick setup you get from that all in one case will work against you for airline portability. not sure you can make it much smaller than what you have there. I’d break it into two carry-on friendly (and lighter/more portable) cases and craft a means of quickly connecting them. should probably be able to do it with just a couple cables, I’d imagine. either that, or you’ll have to put it into checked luggage.

@ccr regular flight cases like the custom Thomann one are too heavy: tried with my needs, ends up with 6.5 kg (and 245€!).

Total weight with the devices should be < 10kg, so it won’t work.

@shigginpit the first case is too small, and second one is too large for cabin luggage.

@chiasticon I don’t want to split my current setup, but build an alternative one that will fit in a single case.

Thanks for the suggestions, I would really like to avoid having to build the case myself (already did on the past, took months of work, and wife won’t be happy).

1 Like

Made some 3D simulation based on the Carry Lite L, and it might fit with some arrangements, and maybe not keeping the top row wired at all time, hmmm…

2x digi on the bottom, bluebox on top left sitting above the digi cables, MM2 on the top right.

I also tested with a boutique and it barely fits with an angle, without the cables:

That’s not perfect, but the carry lite is really my ideal case in term of material/weight. I wish some manufacturer would make a custom-built equivalent.
Still looking, but I might settle for this if nothing better comes up.