LFO.T and FLT.T uses?

What exactly do LFO.T and LFT.T on the TRIG page do? the manual says
“ LFO.T Trig controls if the LFO will be trigged or not.” and FLT.T does the same for the filter

triggered by what? when you start the pattern? per trig?
you already have the free or trig modes on the LFO, and you have legato or key trigger modes for the filter in the settings - so what do these do that’s different?

1 Like

havent tried it but i’d guess you PLock trigs with those parameters on or off to determine whether the LFO has an effect or not. If you don’t plock then it just remains constant for whichever state it is on that page.

that would make sense, but the LFO seems to work even when they’re off

The LFO in free running mode won’t be affected, but you can P-lock whether a trig-synced LFO will fire. And FLT.T is for the filter envelope, again per trig.

This can be especially useful for lock /yellow trigs where you want to alter a ringing note without restarting the filter envelope or LFO, and it’s the default for yellow trigs.

4 Likes

thanks - i still don’t understand though - you mean i have P-lock a trig mode on the LFO page AND the LFO.T for the LFO to start on that trig? isn’t that what the trig mode is for?

By default regular/red trigs will trigger LFO if it’s not in free-running mode, plus the filter envelope, and yellow trigs will silently change this setting to not trigger the LFO or filter envelope again. The trig page settings let you change those defaults in a few use cases.

1 Like

Example if you want an lfo to start at the beginning of the pattern :

Lfo with TRIG mode
Set LFO.T off
Set a trig on step 1 with LFO.T on.

With LFO.T on, it would be triggered for each trig, and with FREE mode it wouldn’t be triggered.

1 Like

LFO.T is my most hated digitakt feature. If you turn it off it makes it so the LFO can’t be triggered even in if it’s in a trigger mode. This is redundant and confusing functionality IMO

It doesn’t get in my way, I only hate it because I wish what it did was reset the phase of the LFO only once at the start of a pattern so the LFO can be repeatable AND free running.

Can anyone explain to me a purpose this switch serves that isn’t something the LFO already can do?

1 Like

I think in theory it could do something like modify an unrelated parameter without interrupting an LFO that’s already being faded in or out?

It’s usually just in my way, too, or a step in troubleshooting when something isnt working right.

On the bright side, it’s one of the trig page parameters that doesn’t take up any of the 72 parameter-lock lanes per pattern (at least on Syntakt)…

1 Like

Did you read the post above yours ? :content:

You can’t reset an lfo just at the beginning of a pattern with several trigs without LFO.T.

Another purpose : if you use lfo as envelope, pitch glide…

Definitely usefull.

2 Likes

hmm, thanks for your input guys - i wish i could say that it clears things up, but i’m still not grasping the purpose or function of the switch. i think i’m going to have to spend a few hours just experimenting with it specifically before it makes sense to me.

i’m also noticing that the Trig Mode on the LFO is also not working as I would expect to.

if i want the LFO to reset from the start position on two specific trigs, how exactly am do i program that?

i thought Trig Mode resets the LFO with every trig that has Trig Mode locked to it - but i have LFO running in free mode, and it’s P-locked in Trig Mode on the first trig and on one trig later on in the pattern - if i play the pattern from when it’s stopped, it always starts in the same place, but if i let the pattern repeat it seems to just ignore the P-locked Trig Mode on both trigs??

each time the pattern repeats the lfo starts in a different place (in terms of where it is in the wave form, like peak vs trough)

Isn’t it a difference between a Pattern retrigging an LFO, and a Sound doing it?

Interest is very thin, but it would let you control where the LFO retrigs exactly in a pattern while switching the Sound.

switching the sound in what way?

The Sound = the patch in Elektron language, that you can load from the +Drive or the Sound pool.

yes i know but what do you mean “switching the sound” - like at which point? like right at the new trig? or you mean the LFO runs free though the sound change?

If trig mode isn’t “free” and LFO.T=on and the trig is a regular trig then the LFO will reset on each trig.
If you don’t want the LFO to reset on every trig, you can P.Lock LFO.T to “off”. For tracks where you want to use this parameter I think it often works best to set LFO.T to off by default and then P.Lock it to “on” on steps where you do want it to reset. Make sure to not also P.Lock any of the other LFO parameters as that can also reset the LFO.

2 Likes

I mean loading another Sound for your track.
Trying to imagine when this could be useful…

OK, i think i almost understand now … i’ll have to play with it a bit and come back to you to know for sure, but thank you!

ack thank you, I’m almost there, but it’s still not doing what I want - i need the LFO to reset at two specific point - trig 1 and then again on trig 49 (1st trig of page 4), where the LFO changes shape

the defaults are: LFO.T=OFF, Free LFO, sine wave
i have LFO.T=ON and Trig Mode parameter locked onto trig 1 and 49, and trig 49 begins the square wave until the end of the pattern (64 steps)

the sequence plays perfectly the first time, but when the sequence repeats, it starts at a different part of the wave cycle instead of restarting the LFO and ignores the LFO trig locks on trig 1 and 49.

It actually doesn’t matter that much for the sine wave section, but once it gets to the square wave on trig 49 it completely screws up the whole sound.

what am i missing?

You have the LFO set to “free”. That won’t work. You need to set it to one of the ‘trig’ types.

2 Likes