Erica Synths SYNTRX

I have not noticed that but I’ll try when I can.

I hope mine’s not broken :sweat_smile:

If it is, just shoot Brian Eno an email, he will probably pay a premium to take it off your hands. :rofl:

3 Likes

Regarding DC-coupled inputs, I opened a support ticket asking about how to do the mod myself and they replied with some instructions. Very helpful! I’m not sure how public they want the information to be so I won’t paste the details here but it involves bypassing two capacitors on each input, and it also (obviously) voids the warranty.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Simple things:

Syntrx:

• Osc 1, 2, and 3 all go to Channel 1
  • The oscillators are aligned by octave but detuned slightly so they phase/beat in and out slowly
  • Joystick X is set to modulate Osc1’s pitch ever so slightly
  • Joystick Y is set to modulate Osc2’s pitch ever so slightly
  • Channel 1 pan is set to 0 (center)

OT:

• Syntrx Output 1 and 2 run into OT input A and B
  • FX1 is Comb Filter
  • FX2 is Dark Reverb
  • LFO1 modulates Comb pitch
  • Adjust Comb & Reverb settings to suit
  • I played with various LFO & trig settings. My favorite is to set a few trigs and put the LFO in Trig = Hold mode

On one hand, this does exactly what I expected it to do, on the other I’m pleasantly surprised by the sounds that are emitted.

Next I’ll probably do a quick recording and post it to my Instagram. But this may be the configuration that forces me to buy FCP X and learn it and go beyond doing everything in-camera.

1 Like

Very nice!

I have been planning to ask Erica Synths if it would be possible to have the voltage into the meter controlling the osc one wave shape since I think it’s one of the nicest sounding folders/rectifiers I’ve ever heard and I rarely use the meter anyways.
What do you think?

3 Likes

I also enjoy the Syntrx’ wavefolder.

As far as mods go - do what you want. I’m of two minds: on one hand, I’d love a bigger matrix with more mod source and destinations. On the other hand, I’m coming to the Syntrx from 9u or so of Euro and really enjoy its relative minimalism.

I’ve run MIDI from the Keystep and OT to the Syntrx, and had a lot of fun using it as a bass synth. Most of the time it’s just me and the Syntrx and a set of headphones. I can plock all day long on the Elektrons, but the Syntrx is (for me) all about being hands on.

1 Like

Yeah I too like the hands on aspect of the Syntrx but still would love to be able to modulate that sine hehe.

Once I have defeated the financial turmoil I’ve got going on atm I will ask ES if it would be possible to have them mod it for me since I’m not adept with this stuff.

1 Like

It would be pretty cool if ES had designed the matrix system with an external bus connection. Chaining Mk1 & Mk2 units together as well as the standalone matrix mixer and it’s 3.5mm I/O would open up a lot of possibilities.

1 Like

No-input feedback patching. Is it safe to do such patching with the Syntrx? I mean not using the oscillators for generating sounds but patching the outputs back into inputs.
I have done stuff like that with crappy mixers but doing something like that with an instrument this expensive is frightening.

It would be interesting to hear from others how they approach such stuff with their Syntrx.

It is safe and pretty fun. I’ve also asked Erica Synths if it’s safe to do that and they said yes. So happy exploration!

3 Likes

Thanks! So much to explore with this synth! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been patching a lot lately without using the oscillators but the spring reverb and filter as sound sources but I don’t quite understand why if I just patch the outputs to the outputs in the matrix nothing happens? Wouldn’t that be like patching a mixers outputs back into the inputs? What am I missing here?

Like this:

2 Likes

I could be wrong but I would think it is because the mixer matrix attenuates downwards only so without positive gain you wouldn’t see a feedback loop build up like self patching a mixer. You could use 1 output channel back into the input which has a gain knob and get feedback that way. As it is set if you ran a voice through you would see feedback tails of some sort.

1 Like

This is great. Gonna try it. Thanks!

But… are you using the speakers when you do this? I find the spring picks up the speakers so readily that it goes into wall-of-feedback way too soon.

1 Like

Okay, that makes sense. I will try that the next time. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Usually I dont use the speakers with these kind of patches. As you mentioned it gets totally out of hand too easily that way.

1 Like

I like toggling the speakers rhythmically. Too bad the switches don’t have trigger inputs.

1 Like

I really would like to get a syntryx 2, but I would have to sell my prophet 6… it is my favorite synth… What should I do? Saving for it is not really an option… I’m married and have a kid… so I have no account of my own really.

1 Like