Let’s see your live groovebox performances (not hands/tabletop stuff)

Whenever I search for, I dunno Syntakt live sets or similar, I get oodles of results of actual machine demos and tabletop style shot recordings. I’m looking for inspiration to see how others use grooveboxes at concerts or on stage. I’m hoping to either take my Syntakt/analog heat combo or push 3 standalone gigging this summer and just trying to get an idea of how audiences respond to live groovebox gigs. Anyone got any videos or tips?

My assumption is that most audiences, unless their gear heads will just assume we’re DJing behind a booth or something? Only folks I can think of as references doing more sort of grid controller type performances like Daedalus or finger drumming stuff like Fred again.

The people are there to dance, not nerd out on tech. Make it groovy and try to dance to it while doing it :grin:
Then you’ll rock the party

5 Likes

have you checked Dataline youtube? therel are several live performances there but not sure about syntakt…

4 Likes

Here’s a live set I recently did with my ST, MPC one and Xone 96 (my set starts at 50m)
I’m probably going to strip it down further to just ST and laptop running Ableton & overbridge clocked with the ST and a midi fighter twister to control samples, live dub FX and maybe a synth plugin
https://youtube.com/live/5fvLpGrbFZA?si=2z5wX0gB4rGKvIC6

10 Likes

amazing thanks for sharing, so refreshing to actually see the folks using their machines too! Will try and watch some of these properly over the weekend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great industrial sound and really cool visuals. What did you use for the visuals if you dont mind me asking. ?

1 Like

In my experience people don’t care what you’re doing, they are just glad the show is going down and performers show up.

Best advice, fix up your rig at home in some kind of case where everything is already plugged in.
So all you have to set up is a stand, case, and give a stereo feed to the sound guy and 1 plug from a power strip.
Set up fast and tear down fast, don’t make others wait on you.
Don’t play too long, it’s better to leave people wanting more than making them walk off.
If you’re savvy enough, work out some simple visual.
It could be as simple as one light, or multiple video arrays.
Again, keep it simple enough to set up and tear down in 15mins max.

8 Likes

Thanks, but not sure if you mean my set ? It starts at 50 minutes and is digital dub.
The visuals were all done by the Sonic State team. They are a multi media company, that have been doing it for a while.

1 Like

I was there with @Claid. Great set, man!

4 Likes

They did a good job. Seems like a fun night out.

1 Like

Ah shucks. Thanks dude

1 Like

But my hands are my best feature.

How about some foot/tabletop stuff?

2 Likes

That’s all he needs to see.

1 Like

They dont care what gear you’re using. Not in the slightest. They are there for the tunes, nice and loud.

3 Likes

Except the 5.7% of gear freaks (us).
There’s always a few.

1 Like

:raising_hand_man:t2:

As stated earlier, no one in the audience will care except a tiny fraction of the crowd. Most people think live music is someone playing guitar or piano.

Audiences vary every gig. It depends on so many factors beyond your control(time, drunk, drugs).

Keep your live setup small and practical. If you want to play clubs try to do it with one machine as you’ll be sharing a table with the DJ’s. Bookers wil not book you if you come with a big setup.

Lastly, but most important: respect your audience and prepare your set.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t, I tried this once and now I’m not allowed back at Dennys!

1 Like

I think I am missing something, but what could be learned from watching knobs being turned and faders being pushed in a live setting?

I’d say transitions, if someone punching trigs on the fly, device routing, what someone doing and how it affects the overall sound…
you can learn a lot actually from watching someone playing live…

2 Likes