Let’s see your live groovebox performances (not hands/tabletop stuff)

Some folks might be interested in how the performer approaches their set. What are the controlling live? What looks pre-production? How much kit are they using and how are they managing it?

Lots to be learned. Lots to take inspiration from. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Speaking more as a watcher, the performances that always grab me are the ones that feel/sound more on the edge… I see a lot of overly clean/polite/safe sounding live electronic sets, but it’s the grit and edginess that makes it live and engaging IMO… so I’d say that, don’t be scared to fk sht up, that’s where the vibe is. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Totally depends on the type and style of music, made. I ask because I compose pop music and sing live, so trying to decide if I make my life difficult by trying to play some of the music live, or just kareoke style it over some backing tracks. But yes agree, if you’re tucked away doing more of a dance gig, have to ask yourself if it’s worth even playing live or just play some of your own tracks and just dj and get a dance floor grooving.

Not much tbh, unless you have a workflow document, there are no insights into settings. However it can be inspiring to see how someone uses a certain device. @Dataline always pushes the Elektrons so far beyond what anyone else has done.

1 Like

Imo the most important and first thing to consider if you want to have a good show is who your audience is and why they are there to see you, and if you’ve done your promotion to that end things should go well, if not then really you’re just spinning the wheel.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the old “moons over my hammy” maneuver.

1 Like

Chin strokers. No one likes them.

1 Like

My cats would strongly disagree!

3 Likes

I don’t have any videos right now but my normal live setup is centered on a digitakt with a 303, the Behringer ms20 clone, and a micro freak and typically I try to play in front of the stage or booth with my back to the crowd, because I feel like it’s much more visually interesting to be able to see it from behind as opposed to someone standing behind a table making indiscernible motions with their hands. Then the pattern changes and filter sweeps can actually be seen as they’re happening. Also probably makes it less obvious that I talk to myself a lot while I perform.
Container has been a long time live grooveboxer, and he’s also done the whole “back to the crowd” thing, though not always.

I saw him play at a club where he was in front of the mains and the booth, almost in the center of the dance floor with people on either side, and I think that can be pretty fun too as long as you’re confident in the sturdiness of your table in case someone careens into it

1 Like

In my experience, people DO care whether it is a live show vs a DJ set, but only if they actually ‘see you make music’, i.e. play keys or strings.
I do a live setup with two mates. One is a bass player. People respond wildly differently when he brings his bass guitar vs when he only brings his syntakt. As long as we’re pushing buttons or twisting knobs we’re DJ’s for the audience.

1 Like