Let my Rytm go and go with Syntakt?

I sold my rytm yesterday, but I had it online before the ST was announced :smiley:

Just the OT now, which I do agree, seems like a perfect buddy for the STā€¦. But no need atm anyways.

Once Iā€™ve moved and sorted that stuff out iā€™m either getting a rytm, a nord 3p or a ST.

2 Likes

This

1 Like

Iā€™m spoiled because I use a MI Plaits for drum duties sometimes but

1 LFO to the decay
1 LFO to the timber (filter frequency)
1 LFO to the pitch
1 LFO to the volume
1 LFO to the harmonic (overdrive)

All of them are very subtle movements though but itā€™s worth it even for the hihat.

So a 2nd LFO is really the bare minimum. Sure we can record automation but thatā€™s not as flexible as a simple LFO.

Andā€¦the 2nd LFO could modify the parameters of the 1st LFO (speed, shapeā€¦) to create a complex shape.

The best would be to get the OT LFOs!

2 Likes

this.
I thought if I buy the ST, I would sell my Rytm but I could use the ST DVCOs (3 of them) and keep the Rytm for Kick/snare/rs duties (and many more) while why not, assigning only synth machines on the ST. Seems reasonable haha.
I do have OT/A4/AR/DN though so if I sell the Rytm it would be to make place for the ST(my place starts to look like an Elektron shop haha) I like the ST small form factor and with all the extra FX to gel everything together it seems to be a crazy all-in-one combo!

2 Likes

Yes same thoughts

How about swapping Monomachine out for DN and ST combo?

Damn, I missed it

Damn I purchased the Analog Rytm MKII just two days before they launched the Syntakt, totally unaware of them going to release this new machine. Should I rethink this choice?

I have been holding out with buying the MKII, since I had to buy some other stuff first and wanted to save up some more before feeling crazy. But in that period of two months I have been checking literally every video on the Analog Rytm, and I just loved it. Definitely felt more pulled towards the Rytm than the Digitakt or Digitone, because of the layout, the massive sound, the sampler and just how intuitive everything seems to be. I donā€™t think Iā€™m fond of the tripple multi purpose layout that the Syntakt, Digitone and Digitakt compact format holds, but Iā€™m sure that compact format has itā€™s benefits as well. And damn, that Syntakt is really striking hits on the ā€œall in one groovebox machineā€ lane.

My Analog Rytm MKII is coming tomorrow, Iā€™m still hyped, but I feel a little bit uncomfortable with this new machineā€™s release. Iā€™m gonna test the thing out and see if I want to keep it. But I am curious now, do you think I made the right choice? I think the sampler addon really cuts it for me, since I donā€™t have a sampler yet. Currently owning, the A4 MKI, Novation Peak and Drumbrute, so I feel the AR MKII will be a great fit (gonna sell the drumbrute).

dude itā€™s the best drum machine in the world no sweat

5 Likes

I think your reasons for the choice continue to be valid and you should fully enjoy your new ARmk2 when it arrives!

I mainly use the Rytm with my samples which i created out of modulars and semimodulars

There are 4 features I would love to be added to the Rytm

• finer start and end points on the sample like Digitakt

• 1 or 2 additional LFOs

• ctrl alll

• mixer page like in Digitakt

With these additions it would be an awesome piece of gear

I donā€™t care much about the VCO and the analog synthesis as it does not satisfy my ears much - it s very basic and poor sounding

• mixer page from Digitakt

All stuff that syntakt has. So it comes down to the question if sampling (and performance/scenes, compressor, individual outs) is worth the extra 500 bucks.

For me: no, since I already have an octactrck and oto boum.

To you it sounds like sampling is a big deal so yes be happy with your rytm, its awesome

A really positive aspect of the rytm are the 16 steps and the pads

I can program BoC or Autechre beats very easily o.n Rytm, which I cannot do on a Digitakt - I guess Syntakt is like Digitakt

1 Like

Yeah well partially true,

I personally dont like the pads that much (except for mute mode)

16 step triggers in a row is cool but the DT formfactor enables keyboard mode which works better with 8+8 steps.

I would say, keep the rytm.
You like it when you see the video you watch.
ThƩ syntakt is not a rythm, more a cutdown version with lots of various addon.
But not a rythm.
And the fact that you can use overdrive per track on sample + add some analog weirdness with machine make the rythm completely unique.

Keep Rytm.

Add Syntakt.

Profit.

11 Likes

But seriously, the time Iā€™ve spent with Syntakt, itā€™s clear that it invites you to try to get it all done on ST by itself. The 12 tracks, the FXā€¦.
However that can really paint you into a corner.

A partner box with sample playback, or more traditional synth to be sequenced with a MIDI machineā€¦ it really opens it up and keeps you out of that corner.

Maybe the partner box for you is OT. For some it might be DT, or even DN.

But I do think the Rytm compressor is ultra helpful here. And so is that sample layer through the Rytm VCA. Kits are great too. A partner box also makes playing live a bit easier, giving you a couple ā€œdecksā€ for transitions.

4 Likes

Yes! A fellow Rytm pads advocate!

Iā€™ve sprinkled my opinion in various threads across Elektronauts so apologies if Iā€™m getting too repetitive but ā€” no matter what you think about the quality of the Rytm pads, if the question is to have pads or not to have them, it makes a world of difference for me to have them.

You can always sort out velocity or quantization issues in the sequencer, but just the ability to quickly tap in your beats speeds everything up for me and makes it feel way more human / lets me use some of my skills and natural feel as a drummer.

None of this is meant to be a knock on Syntakt. Theyā€™re different instruments, both excellent. But I just canā€™t miss an opportunity to shout out how nice it is to have pads to drum on, donā€™t take em for granted.

3 Likes

I remember searching the internet to try and find out how to do something and finding a thread where I was telling someone how to do it :joy:

To be on topic: Itā€™s about how you get along with the Rytm. Personally Iā€™m always amazed at how amazing it is.

If it ever goes away Iā€™m sure it will highly sought after.

If you can pull it off get the Syntakt before selling the Rytm and try them side by side.

8 Likes