Leaving city life?!

Lived in Paris, Dublin, Lyon and got the opportunity (thank you WHO?) to travel a lot.
I am definitely NOT a city guy :slight_smile:

nice. i enjoyed visiting prague and the czech republic in general. if you can make it work and enjoy your life, go for it. it sounds like a great spot and an interesting project. good luck!

3 Likes

Yep, sometimes miss it, or as it was in the 80ā€™s at least.

1 Like

Me and the family moved to a more rural area in the north of Sweden and it was the best decision Iā€™ve ever madeā€¦ life is way more relaxedā€¦ if you find a occupation near by I cannot recommend it enough!

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel pretty much at home in the Czech Rep. by now being sufficiently fluent in what is a difficult language for native English speakers to learn. Thereā€™ll be plenty of room for guests when the whole place is done up, so youā€™re welcome if you come back to CZ.

2 Likes

awesome. iā€™d love to live or spend significant time in europe or asia but canā€™t envision it in the near future for our family. we really enjoyed turkey and hungary, too. the political climate in both is not so great right now, but the same can be said about the US.

2 Likes

SE NH here. Iā€™d love to do an open-set night in Portland ME once pandemia is all over with. Open to jamming if youā€™re interested.

1 Like

Iā€™ve spoken to several people moving this year but wonder how long/short lived it will be when life gets back to normal and one is stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do :thinking:

3 Likes

I have always lived in medium-sized cities and would not want to miss the ability to do everything on foot or by bicycle. I love the countryside, and there is plenty of accessible nature around the place I live (Grenoble, France), but I would not want to live in a small village with 2-3 cars for the family, driving to work, driving for shopping, driving to go to a restaurant, movies, concerts (looking forward to post-lock-down life!)ā€¦

2 Likes

I grew up in the commuter belt around London, on the end of the tube line. Desperately dull, overwhelmingly white, conservative and middle class. I started coming up to London as a teenager to go to record shops and the pubs and clubs (early/mid 90s, when the jungle scene was in full swing). Moved to London to go to art college at 19, never left.

When my wife and I were trying to get on the property ladder (ugh) we stayed back with my parents for 6 months (and rented another place not far away for another 3). We saw it as an opportunity to assess whether weā€™d want to move out of the big city to somewhere quieter, have a garden, etc. Nope. We hated it. Couldnā€™t wait to get out of there and back to London.

I can see the appeal of getting absolutely as far away from other people as you possibly can but suburbia or the villages are not for me.

4 Likes

I was born and grew up in Bogota which is a 10 million people city and I absolutely loved it. 10 years ago moved to the outskirts, about 30 minutes away in a tiny 20k people town, I hated it initially, and still love the place itself but the benefits outweigh negatives, and then a few years back I also moved to a small city in Norway and live between both places. Recently had to go to Bogota to do a bunch of errands and fuck I cannot stand so much traffic and chaos, it is insane. I got used to the peace and calm of my two homes. I also quit DJing partly because of the move away from Bogota which I miss but it is healthier to actually sleep, and my ears will last longer too, soā€¦ :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I live in a city thatā€™s in the middle of an insane housing bubble (Look up house prices in Auckland, NZ) and renters get treated like crap under our rules. Problem is itā€™s the only big city in the whole country. So itā€™s either pay too much or go rural :man_shrugging:

I grew up in rural Scotland and move to the city for University and stayed for about 15 years (pretty much entirely Glasgow) but then moved to a small town (15,000) by the coast in Ayrshire in my 30s and have been enjoying it here since. Itā€™s only 40mins by train up to Glasgow if I want a night out but even thatā€™s pretty infrequent. It definitley helps that I reconnected with an old work colleague who stays here through a sales advert in Sound On Sound and weā€™re now the two weird middle aged guys who sit in the pub and talk about how much we love Elektron. Plus, 15 mins cycling and Iā€™m in the middle of nowhere.

You do know that Iā€™m both legally and morally obliged to make clichĆ©d jokes about the west/east coast divide and how youā€™d be entering a hell-world of salt+sauce on your chips in Edinburgh??? Only jesting, my sister lives there so I donā€™t mind visiting for short periods of timeā€¦

2 Likes

Greetings to bogota and colombia next time you go. Both will always be deep in my heart.
ā€žEl unico peligro en colombia es querer quedarseā€œ I read when i arrived. I should have stayed or never visit. Like this im confused the rest of my life. ( peru similar)

1 Like

Happy with so much action on this topic, really. Have not read all posts yet, will come back to it later tonight.

I moved so many times in my life,ā€¦, travelled all over the place, itā€™s crazy. Since I am married and have a small happy family we stayed put in our place in Berlin.

We really want to nurture a garden, grow fresh fruits and vegetables etc. ā€¦ . No city noise, not too many people around (we can always go out if we need it), fresh air, sea and mountains; A more free and wild life for our offspring instead of being boxed in between city walls.

Also important is to create the physical and mental space to feed and express our artistic souls and share what we have to share.

Edit/Update:
Forgot to add. We would like to permanently move to a Greek Island, most probably Crete, but that is not set in stone.

3 Likes

Haha, that was a campaign from the tourist sector which was meant to help dissipate fears of visiting Colombia after very troubling times which caused people to avoid ever coming (Iā€™m here for a few months still, in the small village, NOT in Bogota, though I have to go a couple more times this month :sob:). Back then there was a real risk of getting kidnapped if one went to certain regions (jungles, or areas where there was no state control).

1 Like

Gotta say, the Elektronauts community serves me well for maintaining a healthy creative perspective. Nice to see so many of you share your stories/perspectives on this topic.

5 Likes

For me that changes the older I get. Grew up in a small village in the black forest and could not wait to move to the next big city for studying (Stuttgart). Was basically a dream to live in the city center and having concerts, clubā€™s & bars close at hand. After some years this city became to small and I went to Berlin. Nothing better when you in your twenties / early thirtiesā€¦
While getting older and not going out so often anymore priorities changed. I still love to visit B and will always come back, but I cannot imagine to live their anymore. For the last thirteen years I was working and living in several swiss cities (mainly Geneva and Bern). Quite big for Switzerland, but tiny compared to Berlin. However, I found that a good compromise of having museums, restaurants, etc. while at the same time being close to nature. But over the last months Iā€™m thinking more and more to move to the countryside again. Mainly for cheaper rent, having more space and being able to make music as loud as I want and not with headphones.
Right now Iā€™m mainly holding back because of long distance to work. But so much changed this year with regard to home office. So actually it might be an option soon.

2 Likes

I do recall a lot of serious faces in Geneva from my visits there. Even the guy I saw in a business suit commuting on a kick scooter look serious - not a hint of joy on his face. Last two visits were to join my parents for French immersion courses at UNIGE.

Couple of years later my parents took me on a drive around Spain. It was December, so it was a bit chillyā€¦ except in Sevilla. I didnā€™t mind the warmth at that point. When we arrived, we got lost looking for the local campsite, so I attempted to ask one of the locals. He spoke fast, with that lisp accent, so it was a challenge to understand but I relayed his directions to my Dad. After we drove away from him, my Mom said ā€œOh, heā€™s running as fast as he can to his carā€. It was because I effed up the directions in translation. He caught up with us in his car, and got us to follow him to the campsite. He appeared to be annoyed and was quite expressive with his hand motions, but he still took the time and drive over 10km to show us the campsite.

We saw a lot of ā€œfor saleā€/ā€œfor rentā€ signs in Sevilla. My parents started to joke ā€œwhy donā€™t you move here then we can visit you?ā€. Sometimes I think about that. Damn fine looking city and flamenco everywhere.

Cordoba and Grenada were also nice.

2 Likes

I have also spend some time in Andalusia when I was a decade or 2 younger, I really loved it!

1 Like