Leaving city life?!

We are seriously thinking to leave the city (Berlin in our case) and move to a more quiet place surrounded by nature.

Covid pandemic makes us rethink the life we live.

And you?

17 Likes

Lived in York and loved the city life. So much going on and always something happening.

Started to settle down with my girlfriend and just bought an apartment (hoping to be in by Christmas) in a rural village in West Yorkshire.

The quiet life is good, I like both but I feel I have more time with my thoughts now.

10 Likes

Grew up in the middle of nowhere in the UK.

Iā€™ve lived in two cities in my life (Leicester and Melbourne) and, although they had their conveniences, Iā€™m not a big fan of people, so moved back to the countryside about 10 years ago. Itā€™s so much better, but the bonus is that, being right in the middle of England, Iā€™m within an hourā€™s drive or train ride of about 8 cities, so can still go and do city stuff if we want to.

9 Likes

I dream of moving to the country and building a little modern eco-friendly house, surrounded by green and peace and quiet. Butā€¦ Iā€™m in the Southeast US, which means the country also has chicken and hog farms, shooting ranges, lots of ATVā€™s, hunting dog kennels, trespassing hunters, etc. I have friends/family with land who have paid $$$$ only to be surrounded by those things and always complaining about it. I feel like people in NZ and Europe would probably fair much better.

Those damned tiny house shows on YouTube always seem to inspire me. Then I go check local land prices, do a google satellite / map search and find out Iā€™d be paying $400,000 only to live next to a chicken farm with a go-cart track and 50 beagles.

21 Likes

Iā€™ve lived in big cities (Kansas City, Phoenix, Colorado Springs) and have moved to smaller and smaller communities over the past two decades. Now, we live in a sprawling ranch-style farm house on a working farm. Weā€™re only six or seven miles from the nearest small town, but we are surrounded by nothing but crops and nature. We see a few farmhands at work in the surrounding fields and the farmhouse waaaaay across the street, but we have zero contact with anyone. Itā€™s very nice. The electricity sucks, though. Not great for a studio, but I am doing my best to deal with it.

13 Likes

Hilarious made me laugh :laughing:

5 Likes

Solar panels? Oh you may mean the wiring not the output :slight_smile:

1 Like

We torpedoed our lives in the UK this year, packed in our jobs and moved to the countryside in Ireland to start afresh. Could be the daftest thing we ever did but the last few years in the UK made us reassess where we wanted to spend the next phase of our lives (many reasons, economic and political). Moved in with the in-laws until we get on our feet, which is handy but sometimes mildly challenging. Plenty of space though and Iā€™m already set up with a nice audio workspace and a place to do electronics work. Getting used to the quirks of the Irish ā€˜systemā€™ is very frustrating at times (trying to sort out tax, insurance, cars etc.) but getting there slowly. Weā€™ve been just over 2 months and Iā€™ve just this week got all the necessary bits of official stuff sorted to open a bank account! :crazy_face:

15 Likes

I live in Walsall England. You may not know it and believe me you dont want to either. Weā€™ve looked into buying property in the Western Isles. But now being both disabled it would be too hard. I would love to have the energy to do it. Now i resign myself to watching Youtube videos of people surviving in the wilderness. Oh and Ambient nature music. As good as it gets.

8 Likes

Ha. Yep, I do this too. YouTube is chock full of videos that make me want land. Iā€™ve also thought about buying some land just to camp on and practice bushcraft skills, as well as do a bit of ā€œeasyā€ farming on, like nut and fruit trees and berries.

3 Likes

Both. But as itā€™s a rental, thereā€™s little I can do about it so long as itā€™s up to code.

1 Like

i grew up driving everywhere in suburbia, later got a job that involved commuting in and through boston every day, and eventually had enough. we live in a city where we can walk or bike for work and errands. i wouldnā€™t have it any other way. the idea of living in nature is appealing, but relying on a car that way again is most definitely not. the key is finding a location close enough to those parts of nature you want to visit. new england is super easy for access to the ocean or mountains, etc.

6 Likes

I like both to be honest. But I am literally about to move back (on Friday) from Gozo (remote north island of Malta) to the UK. Back with my parents for self-isolation and Crimbo, then either Bristol, Bath, or Edinburgh. Havenā€™t quite decided yet. But Iā€™ve lived in London, Valletta (capital of Malta), La Linea in Spain, Gibraltar, a remote part of Catalonia (in a Winnebago!), Bristol, Bath, and Agde in France, so Iā€™m totally easy and can appreciate both. This time, I want to be within a train ride of one of the three UK cities I mentioned above but live in a cottage just outside of them to make music as loud as I want without annoying the neighbours. Canā€™t wait! :blush:

9 Likes

29 Likes

just moved from Peckham, London, UK to Alba-La-Romaine, France.
Worlds apart!

9 Likes

I grew up in the country, and have lived in a small city for the last couple of years. Jobs are scarce outside of the cities here, and land has gotten ungodly expensive. Iā€™d move back to the highlands in a heart beat, if I could afford it.

1 Like

Sort of our long term dream-plan too. The move to Ireland was part of this because of the availability/affordability of a little land on which to build. Weā€™ve been long-term renters in the UK and so the idea of getting on the property ladder there was both unappealing and fucking expensive.

3 Likes

I lived in London for 6 years in my 20s, prior to that and after I lived in Essex, about 16 years ago moved out to the countryside in Norfolk, best thing I ever did.

I think it is good to try city and rural life, city life is great when in your 20ā€™s I think.

10 Likes

Did that 5 years ago. If you can organize it and live with longer driving times, do it!

3 Likes

I lived just across the Hudson river from Manhattan since I was a kid, and living in the city was just how I was raised. I didnā€™t drive until My mid-20ā€™s, I didnā€™t need to.

I bought a house two years ago in the suburbs because itā€™s too expensive to have a decent place near the city, and when we bought, commuting to NYC was important.

Now I work from home, and wonā€™t have to commute for the foreseeable future, and had I know that we may have bought elsewhere, but weā€™re still pretty surrounded and certainly not rural.

I donā€™t think I could take rural. Thereā€™s just so much death, like, animal corpses and shit and stuff I really am not accustom to dealing with. Iā€™m glad I donā€™t live in a big city right now, but I sure do miss it.

6 Likes