Leaving city life?!

We took the soft version of moving to countryside. For 18 years I used to dj 2-5 gigs a week in the city centre. Whenever I was looking for a new apartment I always made sure that it was within a safe (possibly very) drunk walking distance from the clubs & nightlife where I spent most of my nights.

After retiring from the nightlife we bought an apartment a few miles from the city centre. It doesn’t sound like much but we live in Finland, it’s like the opening credits to Northern Exposure here. We can see deer, rabbits and foxes on the streets here. Very very happy with our decision. Much more chilled feeling living here next to huge forests. Great opportunities for walks in the forest with the dog or general relaxation. I’d never move to the city centre again.

20 Likes

Always fancied Gibraltar, also love Malta too.

1 Like

I left Berlin (native Berliner) in October and moved to my missus village at lake Bodensee. From a 2 room flat in the most criminal street in Schöneberg into a house, which will be the missus house one day (in a not so far future). Easy decision and no regrets so far.

You see big cities with different eyes when you got kids.

Plus I finally can build a proper studio.

8 Likes

leaving cities is trendy these days. but it’s definitely not for me.
i feel relaxed living in the city, because it’s typically cheaper than outside (here in Ukraine, i mean).

i have an apartment that just works. all i have to do is paying the bills.

i don’t have to own a car — because normally everything is reachable either by bicycle, or by subway.

my income is enough for living and spending money on gear — but it definitely would not be so if i decide to move out of the city.

city rocks.

4 Likes

I moved from Aalesund, Norway which is on the west coast with all the idyllic nature you can imagine to Amsterdam about a year ago now.

I love both places but where I am from is just to small for now, not enough challenges and new impulses. I love it for what it is but I am also fed up with it.

It’s typical bad luck for me that the first time I choose to relocate to a new country a world wide pandemic hits… So I haven’t really gotten to know the city the way I wanted to by now.

I have been to Amsterdam and allot of other cities in the Netherlands loads of times before i actually moved here but only as a tourist. I still kind of feel like an outsider and can’t wait for everything to open back up…

2 Likes

Gibraltar can be explored in 2-3 days max, although it is cool being able to see Morocco just over the way and for easy access to Andalusia, Spain, especially the old Arabic influenced hippy surfer town of Tarifa. Malta has been a good home for the last 3-4 years, but eventually the corruption, construction, and general laziness wears you down. Still, it is an awesome experience to do at some point. As you might be able to tell, I can’t stay still for long. Living in other countries is amazing!

5 Likes

Much of what’s been shared in this thread resonates with me.

I grew up in rural northern New Hampshire, and fled as soon as I could to chase the dream of playing in bands. Lived in Boston for several years, then moved to NYC for several more.

Post 9/11, I ended up back home to be closer to family after my father became ill. At first, there was a bit of culture shock, as there weren’t a lot of the amenities you take for granted in a city (clubs, museums, diverse restaurant options, etc). However, having tired of playing in bands and becoming more interested in electronic music (and the increasing ubiquity of the internet), I realized that I could be pretty satisfied living in a more rural area. Fortunately, I’m 2-3 hours drive away from Boston/Montreal/Portland, ME/Burlington, VT so it’s easy to take a day trip to get a quick “city fix”.

I can’t see myself ever wanting to go back to living in a city, after everything that’s gone on in recent times…

5 Likes

THIS.
(i sold my soul for eternal youth, so i’m always in my 20s :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

PS. also, in the city there’s always a lot of opportunities to get laid and/or stoned — and this DOES matter.

3 Likes

When I went to the US I saw that small towns are often called cities. I went twice for work to Kentucky and stayed in the City of London, population cca 20,000! Quite amusing for me. In the UK, a town with a cathedral qualifies for City status but generally it’s understood as a town with say a million or more inhabitants.

Missus and I recently bought a big old school house in the Czech countryside with a big, big garden and a well with good water. Hilly, huge forests around and some pretty historic small towns nearby. It needs a lot of work but we plan to make three rooms habitable and move in by the end of next summer and end with paying rent. You’d be lucky to buy a garage in Prague for the price we paid for it. I’ll have mixed feelings leaving Prague - it’s an easy-going city compared to others I lived in: London - 7 years in all, Moscow 3 and half years. Still, Prague will be a little over an hour’s drive away - Pilsen - 40 minutes.

I grew up in Essex and miss sea air and affordable fresh seafood!

3 Likes

Thought about it recently, then decided against it. There are just too many things we enjoy about living in the city - being close to friends, arts & culture, work opportunities etc. I grew up in the countryside and know that life, and I’m not sure I subscribe to the notion that its automatically preferable for kids either. I certainly didn’t enjoy it.

4 Likes

So you’re also originally an Essexboy?

1 Like

Got in trouble in 2014 with my employer (WHO Headquarters in Geneva) for harassment and mobbing from their part.
Was told by many colleagues to keep quiet and wait…
That maybe they would give me a contract extension of… 3 months…
Decided to sue them.
Won both cases at the Health Board of Appeal.
Left the city and now lives with my other half and her 2 kids by the most amazing and biggest natural park in Europe, on the riverbanks of Guadalquivir.
Best decision I ever took in my life.
Who dares wins :slight_smile:

11 Likes

If I were to live in another city, I’d choose Valencia or Porto, even though I’ve never been to either!

Andalucía is a hidden gem.
Don’t go tell anybody please :wink:

3 Likes

Now a tiny bit less hidden!

1 Like

Try France :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’ve lived in:

Dorset, UK. I hear it’s rather lovely but can’t really comment as I only spent the first few months of my life there.
Cornwall, UK. Idyllic countryside, beautiful coastline and extreme deprivation.
Liverpool, UK. Fantastic place to be a student. Avoid going out on match days or prepare for a hospital visit.
London, UK. Difficult to escape once within its gravitational influence but pretty much financially unfeasible, especially if you decide to start a family.
Manchester, UK. Almost perfect. Close to beautiful countryside. Way less expensive than London and speaking to strangers on public transport is considered acceptable behaviour. Just hoping the Far East Consortium et al don’t completely eradicate the heart and soul of the place.

The dream is to retire on the coast somewhere but the reality of seaside towns in the UK rarely lives up to the picture postcards. Also, I doubt retirement will still be a thing if/when I reach retirement age.

1 Like

Ooopppsss :slight_smile:
Really, quality of life here is a no brainer.
Where I am from, people making 10’000€ a month is a common wage in Geneva (and tax free if you manage to get into those UN agencies. Let’s not talk about FREE and best medical care…). But in the end, looking at people’s faces in their brand new Humvee going to work in the morning suddenly woke me up: what we generally call quality of life is the ability to reach the end of the month. BIG MISTAKE

Edit: the grass is not greener here (actually the grass is burnt by the sun here) but it smells way better.

4 Likes

Hmm, are people feed up with people? I felt the same living in the city. All those people. Some nice, but lots of Assholes too. Or maybe just too much much people.

1 Like

Same. I kick this idea around often, especially because LA living expenses are ridiculous but as you say, growing up in the country isn’t exactly fun for everyone. Not sure I want to go back.

1 Like