Learning to love Octatrack by making it wear all the hats at once

I’d like to start a very specific and focused conversation about the various ways folks are using the Octatrack that keeps multiple use schemes all contained in a single project.

OT has considerable specifications for doing so much in a single project. 256 total sample slots between static and flex, disk streaming, 256 patterns and 64 parts(kits). There is so much you can do without ever stopping the sequencer to load another project.

How are you exploiting its capabilities?
Which various Parts schemes are you using in a single project that allows you to mix between them live?

There are basically three ways I use my OT, and all are compatible with performing live:

1. Scheme 1: External Gear.
    Mixing, effecting, and transition looping for external gear.
    MS, Typhon, A4, etc… whatever I’ve used to make tunes outside the OT, I can bring into the OT for mixing, and (most importantly) transitioning patterns made on that gear with other patterns made on that gear through recorder trig looping. I save track 7 for that transition looper, and track 8 for master FX.

2. Scheme 2: Stems
    Long stem and loop playback.
    Usually from older tracks I’ve made in a DAW or with other gear. It’s fun to be able to take tunes you made 18 years ago and rework them live. OT does this with ease. Again, I save track 7 for that transition looper, and track 8 for master FX.

3. Scheme 3: OT track creation from scratch.
    Something I learned in my last live set (MS+OT) was how much I can do with only 6 sample tracks on the MS. So I’ve been exploring limiting myself to only 6 main sample playback tracks on OT for track creation. This means, again, I can save track 7 for that transition looper, and track 8 for master FX. Here I am using the master FX a little different, with more emphasis on master compressor/limiting (since scheme 1 compresses thru tracks, and scheme 2’s stems are already somewhat compressed) and a very small wet short decay master reverb of high frequencies only for “air”.

With OT, some pre-planning is everything.

• Transitions:

Having that Track 7 flex looper with the same EQ assigned to it for every part in my project means no matter what scheme I am currently in, I can effortlessly transition to another scheme, or transition to another pattern that uses the same scheme. The beat never stops, and I can react to what I am feeling and what the crowd is feeling. I can DJ stems all night, or just for a bit. I can stay focused on other Elektrons for 10 minutes, or 60 minutes. Having all Parts pre-designed with a dedicated transition looper promotes improvisation, flexibility, and means never having to be stuck in one mode for the entire performance.

• Static Samples:

Slot list management is also crucial, as is what kind of samples you use!
I do have several tunes that are made up of 3-4 stems. Enough that I don’t want to overburden my Static list with them all. So I just dedicate the first 4 slots in the static list to those stem tracks (for scheme 2), and I swap out the samples assigned to those slots live when I want to play them live. The flex looper gives me a window of time, with the last tune playing, to get this done. But really it’s just been a bit of practice to get good at it, combined with a folder hierarchy that doesn’t slow me down.

Since Static samples stream from the CF card, your main limitation is not file size but rather the 128 static slots in a project, so let’s make the most of them…
Keeping the static slot list not bogged down by stems means I can exploit the disk streaming capability by making large sample chains for the static slots. These aren’t the kinds of chains you want to modulate the start parameter on. These are longer phrases for track making. Basses, synths, pads, etc. Sample hits that are 1 to 4 seconds each, 32 to 64 in a chain Things to heavily shape with LFO modulation and FX during track making. Chain file size is 20-40MB ea.

Why? Because again, with 64 Parts(kits) and 256 patterns I want to make the most out of a single project. Scheme 1: External Gear only uses a single Part.
Scheme 2: Stems only uses a single Part.
That leaves 62 parts and a whole lot of pattern memory for Scheme 3: OT track creation from scratch.

Static chains is a way of getting a large variety of samples into such a large OT project.
Those 20-40MB chains of longer samples may seem large, but I still keep them trim by organizing the individual hits by size first, before making the chain. Octachainer makes every sample hit segment the same length as the longest sample, so its worth doing. Group your small sample hits together by size and your chains will be more concise.
Using a clear naming convention that you can stick to also helps, like I did for these Oberhausen chains I made, going down to 32 slices for the longer chains:

OberhausenChains
(Keeping chains concise is important for the times you do want to sample lock another phrase in the chain on a static streamed sample. You’ll work the CF card less hard and get less dropouts/missed attacks.)

The more chains I use for non-loop sounds in my Static list, the more Static slots I have open for those longer loops I just gotta have ready, but are big enough in file size that they would zap my Flex RAM.

• Flex Samples

The Flex list is left to be populated with with short 1 bar loops for mangling that could be used in any of the 3 schemes.
Also shorter chains or single cycle samples, chains of short electro bleeps and blips, very concise drum chains, and chains I want to heavily modulate the start point of.
Be sure to keep an eye on available memory. If you use a lot of chains you’re more likely to run out of memory before you run out of flex slots to populate. Another reason to keep them as trim and concise as possible.

So, again I ask how are you setting up your OT to exploit these capabilities to the max? Which various schemes are you able to blend and transition in and out of because of how you’ve set it up? How many hats can does your OT wear in a single performance?

I’d love to hear about them.

62 Likes

I always stuck to a fixed structure on my OT, though this structure went through different iterations in the past.

I’ve been using my OT for the past two years as part drum machine, part mixer for external gear and OT plays pads that are sampled from various synths as well as single cycle waves and it’s my midi sequencer.

I’ve been thinking about adding a drum machine to my setup, but having mutes, sequencing, fx, fills and midi cc control all from one machine really works quite well for me.
I can use the crossfader, transition with fx and mute/unmute tracks easily on point, because everything is right in front of me!

My OT is basically divided into two halves; one side does drums, the other side is a mix of thru machines, static machines and flex machines + master track.
This works quite well given OTs layout.

T1 always plays the kick drum (comp and eq)
T2 always is the snare (+delay)
T3 hi hats (+delay)
T4 hi hats or percussion sounds (+delay)

T1-T4 are routed to main outs and thus go through the master track. T8 contains a filter + delay or dark reverb depending on the track I play.
Scenes are set up for high pass filtering, low pass filtering, high pass + delay or reverb, low pass + delay or reverb.
I can always filter out the low end or high end of my drum section using the crossfader.
Trigs are put in T8 so the filter env is triggered when needed.
I can also mute the drums by using low pass or high pass filtering scenes.

There are also scenes for delay on the snare (scene 2, because T2 is the snare), delay on hats (scenes 3 and 4) the thru machine (scene 7).
Master fx scenes are 12-16, so I can change them using only my right hand.

T5-T7 go through cue outs and thus are not effected by the master effects.

T5 is my ‘special track’, sometimes contains a flex machine which plays a single cycle wave, sometimes sampled fm bass, sometimes atmo samples like a frozen reverb…

T6 plays pads or other sampled material.
Filter + delay or dark reverb.

T7 is a thru machine for my Shruthi with fx.
Midi T7 sequences Shruthi.

Midi T6 controls which patterns my Bass Bot v2 plays.

I’m using delays with maxed feedback for transitions.

Flex sample slots are sorted in packages of 10, always 10 kick drums, then 10 snares, 10 closed hats, 10 open hats, 10 claps/perc sounds, 10 single cycle waves, again 10 kicks, 10 snares…when I scroll through I always know where to find what kind of sounds.

Static slots are also sorted in a way that makes sense, mostly samples from one synth are grouped together.

Each bank only utilizes one part (which has the tempo saved in the name), so I can eq/filter stuff in my OT, adjust levels if needed without running into problems when a pattern that is linked to another part is recalled.

22 Likes

Nothing to add yet, but this seems like it’ll be a big help when I come to put together my first OT live set, so thanks for the effort and detail

4 Likes

You both summed it up pretty well. Especially having some generic structure across all parts like a transition track or which track is commonly used for what and even some common scenes goes a long way to remove the “memory payload” (less to remember, less to go wrong).

5 Likes

I’m still very new to the OT, but the concept of the transition flex loop on (as mentioned for channel 7) is very interesting to me, is this a commonly used technique I could read more about somewhere?

2 Likes

Yes, just search Youtube for “Octatrack Transition” and you’ll find several videos on that subject. There are also a few threads here and at Elektron-users.

3 Likes

I have moved on for the moment from using the OT transition trick, since I got a 1010 BlackBox. I just sample everything coming out of my OT into it whenever I want. Lately, I hardly use flex slots and I’ve finely tailored my sample chains, which I fill my Static slots with. I use track 1 and 5 as two stereo thru tracks for the MnM and A4. I try to keep my BD track on track 3 (no real reason, it just ended up that way), then all other rythm structures, hihats (or higher freq percussion)and whatnot on the other side, track 6-7. I have a lot of synth/chord/bass samplechains as well.
I very rarely use loops, or stems… I should get more into that stuff again. Samplechains, are just so powerful. Having the BB has kind of changed my way of working.

2 Likes

my current scheme:

Tracks 1-4: Thru machines for the 4 mono outputs of a Nord Lead 2. Providing FX to the dry output of the synth (which has 4 independent timbres). Of course the MIDI tracks can be controlling any of those 4, but I’m usually playing most of them from the keyboard (using splits a lot).

Tracks 4-8: percussion and samples (bass guitar, vocal bits, whatever)

that’s a pretty busy mix, in practice.

4 Likes

My OT scheme seems to change with every project I do. By project I mean EP, Album, or live set.

I dont gig very often at all, so I dont get much chance to rinse repeat.

Exhibit A) Most recent live set OT:
Left side= rhythm section.
T1 : cue out trigger DFAM.
T2-4: Drums machine. Same sample chain on each 3 tracks. Lots of scenes.
Right side= harmonies, melody, texture.
T5 : Empty/spare/flex for resample tricks.
T6 :Thru machine for digitone with a scene for my delay loop trick.
T7 : Long field recordings, infinite loops manually triggered
T8: Master, with recorder buffer constantly resampling 2 bars, scene so I can switch to the resample on T5 any time I want. Also the dreaded beat repeat on FX2.
Then… midi:
T1 -4 sequencing digitone. Extensive use of LFO driven arps, trig conditons etc to expand capabilities of digitone.

also in this set, DFAM and Lyra go to their own channels on my mixer, along with the main OT outputs

Exhibit B) Current studio scheme: (writing an album.)

OT= Midi sequencing ONLY.
Recieves midi note data from Keystep, and passes it through to…
T1 - SH101.
T 5-8 - Digitone. (5 LFOs per track!)

OT sends clock to TR8-S, Digitone. All audio is routed to interface, multitrack recording in ableton.

Exhibit C) Solo OT. I havent done this for a while, but using OT solo ( how far can you push one sample? ) is still fun!

6 Likes

This thread makes me want to trade my DT for OT

4 Likes

Yeah, they are very different beasts.

3 Likes

I’ve gone thru a number of different setups and headaches with the OT. So my OT setup is for now:

Banks 1-8
Tracks 1-4 Pickup machines
Tracks 5-7 thru machine on track 5 followed by neighbours on 6-7
Track 8 is a master with compressor and dark reverb.

Banks 9-16
Track 1 thru machine with 2, 3 and 4 neighbours.
Tracks 5-7 longer samples or slices
Track 8 master track with reverb and compression.

1 Like

It really do be like that.

But OT can also take your DT to new heights, for all the reasons aforementioned.

3 Likes

“Studio setup”

I’ve been using this setup to record my tracks for last 2-3 years.
I did a few tracks recording only OTs main out, because I wanted to see how much I can do with OT as basically my ‘daw’, especially the fx were quite challenging, but it eventually worked quite well, but I settled for a more flexible setup.

Audio T1-T4 and midi T1-T4 are dedicated to drums (T1 kick, T2 snare, T3 and T4 hi hats/percussion), not all are always used, though.
Audio T5 is my “special track” again, single cycle waves, sound scapes, comb filter etc.
Sometimes Audio T6 contains a neighbour machine to provide additional fx.
Audio T7 and T8 sometimes have a thru machine, sometimes used for sampling and mangling stuff, sometimes not used (less is more).

Midi T5 usually sequences a bass sound, hardware or itb.
Midi T6 controls Bass Bot v2 patterns (notes are used to play patterns, no need to use program changes) or if no 303 is needed another hardware synth is sequenced.
Midi T7 sequences Shruthi and T8 usually sequence pad or lead sounds (hardware or itb).

Analog Keys follows OT patterns.

So again, OT is basically divided into two sections, left side (audio and midi T1-T4) are dedicated to drums/drum sequencing, right side (audio and midi T5-T8) are used for the rest.

The four outputs of the Octatrack are used as appropriate. If possible I record tracks mono and apply fx in my daw, if needed I record stereo from OT.

I have everything available on my patchbay, so I can easily patch synths into OT.
Midi is connected via MIO4, everything can be sequenced from OT. Sometimes OT controls the Quadraverb or H9.

Arranger is used to structure my tracks, mutes are controlled by the arranger, also scene selection is automated, the notepad feature is used to remind me of transitions, fx stuff, scenes etc…
The part name contains the bpm of the track.

Basically I have a structure of the whole track saved inside my OT.

For recording, I make use of parts, so as the track developes, parts are used to change machines, change fx, synth presets are controlled by program changes etc.

6 Likes

I’m having a go at making Ableton midi tracks to fill in the blanks tonight. :stew:
I will probably try to make the array similar to some of the layouts here though!

1 Like

Nice. Thanks for inspiring me to dig a little deeper and finally sync up the pattern changes across all my machines. Now my album project is kicking hard.
OT is king. And I havent used any audio tracks yet… which means…

2 Likes

I was thinking about replacing my OT by another main box, but you guys motivate me to keep digging.

This is the thread I’ve been waiting for, since the OT can be configured in so many different ways for different purposes. I’ve been curious how everyone uses it… but is it the machine or the community here causing so many of these setups to be similar for similar purposes?

As for me, I recently ditched my mixer, mainly because it took up too much space, but also because 1.) I wanted more outputs so I can record and arrange things in Live later, and 2.) I wanted to challenge myself to learn to use the OT as a mixer and ‘main brain’. Doing so has really forced me to learn the machine well, and git gud at all the commands, though I’ve still a ways to go – it’s quite deep!

Alas, I’ve wound up with a very similar setup in most projects to a lot of you (surely some influence sneaking in from lurking here the past few months), where for the audio tracks:
1-4: drums/one-shot samples
5/6: flex machines for live sampling/transitions
6/7: thru machines for TX802 and/or NR2
8: master w/ compression and some sort of FX for scenes

And MIDI is simple:
1-4: NR2
5-8: TX802, which I usually have set up with two pads, a bass, and texture element of some sort.

I haven’t set up a template yet, so I usually just build from scratch each time. It’s kind of silly, but good for the muscle memory.

I also have the A4, TR8s, SP404 going into my interface, and the A4 is set up to follow OT’s patterns. Patchbays are set up to plug whatever I want into the inputs on the OT, 404, and A4. With everything set up like this, it’s pretty easy to overload things, so I’m working on letting things breathe…

3 Likes

Gotta do this… And the master as record buffer. Great idea. Hmmm. Thanx.
Good god I love my OT. It’s a never ending story.

2 Likes

Some great info in this thread.

Still a noob with the OT and definitely not yet using it to it’s full potential.

I currently use tracks 1,5,6 as thru tracks for other gear, with some fx. 2,3,7 could be used for voice samples, field recordings or sampled loops. 4 is kept as a flex track and is used to play the record buffer of the master output for the transition trick. I use track 4 because the it feels like I’m djing, going from the master deck to the recorded deck with the fader. One neat trick is that sometimes I like to place the play trigger for the recorded loop on track 4 on the 3rd trig instead of the 1st trig. Before I transition to a new pattern I beat juggle a bit with two “copies” of the pattern (the live one and the recorded one)… then I put a trig on the first step to play the loop straight and fade into a new pattern from there.

8 Likes