Landscape Stereo Field?

I just watched the new Knobs video reviewing the Stereo Field? I’m immediately on the fence of desiring it greatly and having no use for it whatsoever.

On one hand, it makes my noise loving heart flutter in my chest, on the other hand- it doesn’t sound very sonically broad to justify spending the ~400 at any point in time.

Does anybody on this forum have any experience with this thing? I can’t determine whether I should put it on my thinky-list

TBH it was the first Knobs demo that I thought,

“This thing is cool but sounds like shite”

However the CV control of the O- Coast was very interesting, with the A4 and Rytm MKII i’m sure some wild stuff could be done!

2 Likes

It sounds like a head nod to the creepy noisy music I used to listen to- that purely unaesthetic sound is kinda inspirational to me- BUT, there’s only so much you can DO with that sound. I still have too many pop sensibilities(not many, but a few to much) to hear that and be like “IT GOES ON EVERY TRACK! AN ALBUM OF LANDSCAPE STEREO FIELD”

I’m probably going to hold off for their HC-TT second version- it might be a bit pricey for what it will be, but what it will be capable of seems pretty worthwhile. Like turntable effects on a medium where you can collect your own recordings

1 Like

If you just want gestural CV control, look at the Koma Kommander. Little standalone unit that can generate two pairs of CV/Gate signals from optics (waving your hand over the device).

The stereo fm field looks really nice but some friends have it and I’m no big fan of the sound. A $50 crackle box often sounds just as good. And for a more extreme touchable noisy effect box/synth there are things like the Repeater Horndog or The Dark Interpreter series.

I do like the touch points the Landscape FM guy has made - simple touch pins to plug into CV holes that you then patch just by touching them.

2 Likes

The touch points are another product from Landscape- might be worth checking out

I don’t have a eurorack.

I’ll check those products out! Thanks!

That really does look like it could be a whole lot of noise-making fun.

1 Like

Have you seen the HC-TT? Much greater capabilities to make weird noises. They’re coming out with one that has a play button- so you could basically turn a couple of them into cassette turntables- with the advantage of recording whatever you want into the cassette! :open_mouth:

That’s next on my viewing list after the Kommander, which seems intriguing.

1 Like

Anyone bought that Stereo Field toy? It feels like it would be reaaaally cool to use as a glitchy djembe.

Bumping this sentiment…I’m quite interested too.

1 Like

I bought it since then. It’s really interesting and glitchy but hard to use percusively (as a tom) on its own as the sounds tend to have progressive releases and attacks. To use it that way, I combine it with a semi modular synth and use the ADSR envelope of the synth to shape the sound. Or you could record 20s of it in a sampler like a Digitakt and use start points and envelopes from there.

It’s also really interesting as an overdrive. Admittedly the warmest I own (no need to touch it, even).

2 Likes

Interesting. Can you describe the way it interpolates the two sides? One of my main interests in it is to mimic the sound of AM radio when to stations cross-modulate. Would something akin to that be possible? Also, didn’t know it can overdrive the signal, that sounds like a nice extra feature…

I didn’t test it with 2 different input sources like 2 radio channels. I only use it with regular stereo sources so I don’t really know how it would interpolate two different sources, but it’s a nice idea that I will try. My guess is that:

• Untouched you will hear both sources
  • When you touch it you’ll sometimes totally cut one or both of the sources, or boost both, alongside with noises and hiss. It’s a bit unpredictable.

I don’t think it would be as “clean” as cross modulation from one channel to another. More like Two chanels playing on top of each other and with weird priorities.

As for the overdrive, past 12’ the sound starts to be nicely warmed up and the clipping is smooth, very bluesy with a guitar (id does depend on the impedance of the signal). Full clockwise the Landscape usually starts to pick up noises from the environment (electrical interferences like a computer nearby). If you feed outputs into inputs it drones.

The knobs video mentionned in the first post is a nice watch:

1 Like

Very cool! Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Sorry for necroing this thread. But are any ‘Nauts using this? I want something just makes batshit sounds from sub bass to pure noise to feed my Digitakt. It seems to be perfect for that. Opinions? Thoughts? Feelings?

I saw it on an @OBOLUS gear setup picture a while ago. I’ve been interested myself but the price point for what looks like a 1trick pony is a bit steep imho.

1 Like

One trick ponies are exactly what I’m looking for. I want whatever I do in Digitakt to have the same source for cohesiveness but what I do with that source in Digitakt will wildly vary anyway. For example, I’m just using Soma Ether at the moment which is another one trick pony, yet I’m able to craft it into whatever really. The main thing I want from Landscape Stereo Field is a chaotic source of unsequenced noisy nonsense across the frequency spectrum with subtle rhythmic content to then shape in Digitakt. I like the challenge of fitting random pieces of audio together :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fair enough, just not €460 fair in my books :crazy_face::pray:t2:

€250 would be :white_check_mark::receipt:

I do think it does what you want/need.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks for your thoughts on it. I’ll watch a few more YouTube demos to make sure it will give me the raw content I want.

It can sort of be a two-trick pony, since it has inputs as well. You could create some crazy sounds to sample, then turn around and run the Digitakt through it for some expressive, chaotic feedback effects. It’s another one of those pieces of gear that I look at from time to time, but have not purchased. Maybe one day. I like what Landscape is doing.

3 Likes