Lacking of.. TODAY

This is what it sounds like when someone strives for greatness. Stick it in your pipe and smoke it, please:

1 Like

Obviously not to you, but for others Iā€™m sure it is.

Ha, It already did!

2 Likes

I post a lot of music in ā€œWhat are you currently listeningā€ thread because I am almost permanently listening to music at work, and some things I like to the point I feel like sharing in case it reaches at least another personā€™s heart.
I wouldnā€™t say it has to be gold for me to post there. I just like it. At least partially, because I only listen to albums, rarely single tracks.

There is something about context to appreciate music. Listening to an ambient track while in a hurry is like putting some ketchup on oysters. It will feel like crap, whatever your effort to appreciate it.
And listening to an electro punk banger while turning to sleep is the same nonsense.

Plus thereā€™s the cultural aspect: before 2014 every single piece of techno was shit to me, because I had always kept the door shut to any little piece of comprehension. Then playing with my Elektron opened my mind, I now know what I like.

In the vast ocean of music produced today, you have to accept that youā€™re a newbie for a good part of it, even if youā€™ve been listening to music your whole life.
Only permanent training/research for new sounds can let your ear appreciate other kinds of music, imo.

And there are so many experimental obscure music I genuinely enjoy now! Not as much as I would enjoy Radiohead back in the days, but enough to bring me joy or other feelings, and capture my attention or surprise me in a good way. And thatā€™s all I need, when I listen to music.
Iā€™m not looking for any kind of perfection, only to be surprised in a good way Iā€™d say. If I listen to an album more than 5 times, I end buying it.

24 Likes

Nice track but thatā€™s not a genuine Tiffany lamp.

Nice post @LyingDalai!

2 Likes

There sure have been some strange threads here lately.

4 Likes

agreeā€¦the last era , a watershed period on many levels. there was a massive purging of creativity with new found tools by localized creatives.

2 Likes

This to me gets a resounding ā€œmehā€ - no offense if this is yours or someone else on the forum. Its not my cup of tea at all.

And I think thatā€™s the point. There is no objective ā€œgoodā€. Only the subjective.

3 Likes

Yeah, this gets a big meh from me too, both the music itself, and the assholish way that it was presented. Obviously you think youā€™re the bees knees, but this is weak sauce to me.

So, by all means, continue to make drifting ambient music that doesnā€™t go anywhere in your basement or whatever. But sharing it as a way to show us young whippersnappers what real music sounds like is a really lame way to promote your own shitty noodles. Thereā€™s no structure here. No real chord progression, no changes, no rhythm. But most importantly for me, I donā€™t hear any soul here. Usually I keep harsh opinions to myself, but youā€™re such a dick in this thread, I thought it best you read the raw version.

1 Like

Itā€™s all kicking off lol

5 Likes

Man! Whatā€™s happening?!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Itā€™s overwhelming with so many options. Finding a set limit and working with that to develop one natural workflow is my goal. I really enjoy modular synthesis and Elektrons a lot.

Are you in the right thread? Ok, youā€™re back on topic.

The tools are democratized and musicians are in theory able to launch to fame or find their niche without jumping through some of the hoops they used to, but now the main problem is massive oversaturation and the creation of new barriers like # of soundcloud followers, tik tok engagement nonsense, etc.

Definitely good that more people than ever can make music with good tools that are free or cheap. For our own enlightenment and enjoyment of music, itā€™s really never been better. But yeah, way way more noise as someone trying to emerge as an artist or be heard, and also way more noise for someone trying to find music.

I agree w others here that the landscape is overwhelming, hence the appeal of having one or two elektron boxes to focus on and push hard. I definitely benefit from some limits.

3 Likes

The banjo, jawharp and jug have been democratic for millennia.

Just as it is easier nowadays for anyone to have a go at some music technology, it is easier for aspiring developers/instrument makers to get their products and ideas out to an international market. The net result canā€™t be anything but saturation. But itā€™s pretty fucking cool.

I love the options we have available today. There are some really amazing tools that are priced low enough that anyone willing to work for a year or so can build an impressive pro-quality studio with their earnings, provided they have a bit of stability in their lives, and can get a decent job or have the skills to freelance.

I was able to piece together a decent hybrid setup with a vocal booth, tons of toys to tinker with and all the utilities I need to record, loop, and mix everything down easily. I was able to put it all together from scratch within a year just from picking up a part time job (on top of freelance writing). Now I go back to just writing, and making music all day long, and I ainā€™t mad at this life at all. The golden age of electronic music innovation and excellent equipment available at reasonable prices indeed. Itā€™s an exciting time to be alive.

Thereā€™s always been garbage music, especially in the mainstream airwaves, and there always will be. You always had to dig through the rubble to find gems, and the same holds true today. With exponentially more shit to dig through, thereā€™s bound to be more trash, and more gems.

But I feel blessed to have so much to choose from as an electronic artist, both hardware and software, and excited to see whatā€™s coming next, and to hear the new genreā€™s and artists that will emerge from this age. How do we know whether it will be a Golden Age for electronic music?

We are making it right now, as we speak. Itā€™s being born in our basements, garages, and spare bedrooms. Itā€™s still being conceived as we know it. Iā€™m betting it will be golden. Even if itā€™s not, Iā€™m willing to bet that there will be some nuggets of gold out there, for those open-minded enough to listen and those willing to dig for it a bit.

3 Likes

We are in a golden age of accessibility

Many photographers went through this fear/ disappointment when digital came around and started overtaking film. Things have settled with time

Just because people can take thousands of photos on there phones dosent stop art gallery exhibition or national geographic or anything else. Professionals have adapted to and benefited from the technology and everyday people can enjoy it too. Plus you can still use film

Photography has a practical purpose as well as an artistic one- music is like this too

People have been making music, not to impress, but for ritualistic reasons for a long long time. Maybe everyone dosent feel this way, but making music benifits the creator, not just the listener. It can communicate, be meditative, trance inducing, affect heart rate, brain waves, breathing, mental state, invoke emotions, recall memoryā€™s.

Listening or creating can have these effects, but for me they are different experiences and I enjoy both, have always been a big fan of music, and much later getting into making it brought me so more depth than just having fun or wanting to or feeling like I made something ā€˜goodā€™

If more people can experience that easier Iā€™m all for it

11 Likes

The golden age of distractions. Bring back proper sundays. Bring back grease (not the musical)

1 Like