Lacking of.. TODAY

Limit yourself! I’ve been in a limitless position for ages and havent made any good music since then. I sold everything and started from scratch without sinking into endless possibilities and gear and slowly but surely im getting the feels back again!

1 Like

I, personally, haven’t worked hard to find good music on the internet. I assume that, when someone on this forum posts a link to music, especially someone else’s music, that indicates they are sufficiently “blown away” by the music. Yet, when I click on those links, I rarely listen for more than 30 seconds before deciding that, like most music, what I’m hearing is crap. Only a few times have I listened to tracks all the way through.

Now, if the mods would just appoint me as the official arbiter of quality for posted music. I could help prevent others from wasting time listening to crappy music. I could use an emoji rating scale. Since most music is crap, I could distinguish between different forms of crap. For example, by using poo emojis with different degrees of turd-polish-application.

This is a difficult conversation, because it boils down to opinions about what is good art.

I struggle to even relate to this position haha - I’ve been trying to process it for the last 10 minutes

Sounds like you just don’t like music? :sweat_smile:

But yes, this - and that’s why all I hear when someone says that nobody makes good music anymore is that they like old music. It’s a very different position to take.

3 Likes

Some interesting tracks on your BC btw.

The overwhelming amount of free stuff and condensed but mostly generic information makes it easy for me to totally discard it all and focus on the art I’m trying to create.

Moving away from these things feels nice and inspiring.

2 Likes

Nah, modern life with so many options isnt inspiring, it’s exhausting

3 Likes

Maybe understanding others/ empathy is Lacking of… today

Quantitative vs qualitative

I read this as-
The amount of music released is in much greater quantity today so the amount of quality tracks amongst those has gone upp

In number not necessarily in quality as in better/worse

Surely you don’t think that every single track being released now is “bad music” :thinking:

I didn’t at all understand it in a way of ‘music today is just better’

You also don’t know what he is listening to, the crazy amount of music released now can make things harder to find, there could be so many buried gems in there- I for one have been unaware of some outstanding really great old music, only to discover it many years later and it was always that good I just didn’t know about it yet. I assume pretty much everyone has this experience. There is too much out there, everyone can’t know everything

Music may have been qualitatively better in the past (subjective) but I tend to agree. A lower barrier for entry does mean more low quality music can be released easily but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. But the quantity is so great now, which can be annoying to wade through the sheer amount- but that is GREAT for smaller artists- imo music should not be a larger corporate thing. There may have been a quality check to get signed to a label in the past, but that also discriminated against experimentation at times. There was also a lot of luck and personal politics involved. And diy independent artist existed back then, but many had a tough time reaching an audience and getting musical output to physical formats cost a lot of money.

One thing that is tricky today is doing something uniquely new sounding, because so much has been done before. But it dosent have to be groundbreaking to be good music

Main stream music may have gotten more and more homogenized over the years, but underground scenes can flourish with the democratization of music

2 Likes

Just because there’s more of everything doesn’t mean it’s a golden age. Golden age of consumerism perhaps

2 Likes

Why order à la carte when you can binge on a $9.99 buffet or not even pay for unlimited mozzarella sticks and meatloaf?

There is simply too much of everything … except time … taking time to actually connect with whatever tools you have seems to be increasingly difficult for most people …

2 Likes

I think we’re on the same page mate but I’m not 100% sure which bits are replying to me haha

These things are related though - with more people making art, there is more good art. It’s not about proportions, it’s about total output. There may be proportionally less good art, but in terms of raw quantity it’s considerably more pleantiful. The existence of bad art doesn’t mitigate the good, it’s not a scale.

I accept that with there being more chaff some might find it a challenge to discover the wheat, but tbh I don’t think that’s actually true - as there are now so many tools to aid in music discovery. I can just load up youtube and have some world class DJ play me the latest in UK underground jazz. Boom, bangers.

If I used doom scrolling my instagram feed as my source of music discovery then maybe I might be more cynical haha

1 Like

Who

Gives

A

Fuck

12 Likes

Well yea and there’s that

Control Freaks.

3 Likes

Not necessarily replying to you, just felt like you were misunderstood/ too harshly judged

This is exactly the point I thought you were trying to make and I agree, more people making music= more good music.

Exactly

I also agree with the internet leading me to good things I wouldn’t have found otherwise- I don’t always like the algorithm, but machine learning can get bring benefits. I do think there were some benifits to slower times as well, it’s too easy to hit next now and miss a track that would have grown on you, buying albums people would listen to the whole thing, many times. Some of my favorite music has had to take time to sink in- I think it’s easier to miss that online

I use both ways now

1 Like

100% agree - even the records I own I get a different experience from listening to them on Spotify - I’m able to enjoy them more easily when held captive by the inconvenience of moving the stylus :slight_smile:

I also find a lot of gold still from record shops, new(ish) stuff - there’s just not enough time or money to enjoy it all!

And yes thanks for clarifying, I thought that’s what you were saying I didn’t want to take it for granted tho :+1:

1 Like

To clarify I was mostly replying to psychetropic

How can you even know whats good to another person, or what’s even out there

Minds are like parachutes, they only work when there open

2 Likes

In my world, music is almost always social, in the presence of other musicians, or with my students. That is my frame of reference. The music is not polished, but it is authentic.

Recordings, on the other hand…I have higher expectations for them. Not just a rehashing of aesthetically pleasing textures or a strong beat, but the development of musical ideas and organic connection among the parts.

I think we all like those things :slight_smile:

I don’t know why but this thread makes me think about this :

(Whiplash reference)

3 Likes