"La voix du luthier" coneless acoustic speakers for electronic instruments

There have been multiple attempts to design a powered speaker for electronic instruments that makes the instrument sound like it’s “acoustic”, in that the sound is coming from a single point - where the instrument is located - and emanating in all directions from that point in the room, instead of coming out of PA speakers. It’s like the difference between hearing an unplugged acoustic guitar in a nice room, and the same guitar through a mic or pickup into a PA in the same room.

These two acoustic speakers - the Onde and the Pyramid - look pretty nice. They’re not as cheap as the low-end brand acoustic amps, but they’re also not as expensive as Acoustic Image or Henrikson amps either. At least not at the Kickstarter prices.

Octatrack/Digitakt/Digitone/etc through one of these could sound pretty cool. Especially in a room with a nice view and potted plants. Gotta have the potted plant.

I think its a cool idea, but it wont work (satisfying) with all types of sounds. I think in the right hands it will be very awesome. I doubt that it will enhance the average electronic musicican, only if they are avid key players.

There are videos featuring Buchla modular, Haken Continuum, etc. - not typical keyboard instruments. Cheap synths represented by Novation Mininova.

Scroll to the middle of the web page to see videos.

Keep in mind though that due to the nature of the Onde and Pyramid, no video can give us an accurate portrayal of how these speakers would sound in person, any more than a video of a Strad violin or a fine classical guitar can replace the experience of hearing the instrument in person, in the same room. As such, these speaker would be of most interest to people who like to play live, and of little to no interest to those who only work in the studio.

La Voix du Luthier has a new resonator “speaker”. It is called La Voile (the sail) and has two separate sound boards, and a battery powered amp, and optional pre-amp. They have simplified their design while still maintaining high sound quality, hence a lower price and a better price performance. They are utilizing “floating soundboards” in this design.

Would need to hear these, but i am expecting a precision in sound that would likely fit many applications. For instance as a guitar amp for a hollow body electric guitar. Or perhaps as a keyboard amp, for you digital piano, now with a real soundboard. Or perhaps in a stage performance to give a new presence with a synth, or modular. Looking forward to hearing these.

2 Likes

Hey, if any moderator ever stops by this topic, @LyingDalai for exemple ? :innocent: , could you please rename this topic to something along :

"La voix du luthier" Pyramid-Onde-La voile

Since the product range has been widening and the brand seems more and more established I think it could be interesting to have its name in the dedicated topic ?

All in all, any users here ? I’m more and more intrigued by these resonators the more my setup becomes smaller and smaller…

I’m really looking for a way to get more “acoustic” with my osmose…

4 Likes

They will be showing at both Synthfest France ( thread ) in a week, and then after that at Superbooth ( thread ), the middle of May.

So many fascinating options with these resonators. They become part of the sound, and part of the experience in smaller venues.

How about using them with something like the ET-5 from Therevox ? ( thread )

For La Voix it says Left and Right driving separately the 2 soundboards
so they are stereo, but what does this mean here?

two sonically complementary soundboards

Let’s say I want this for my DT. I then send my kick track to board 1 (Left) because it sounds fuller there and my instrument tracks to board 2 (Right) for more clarity?

Edit: also very good overview:

I intend to purchase either L’Onde or the Pyramide in the coming months. Schneidersladen is around the corner from me and they have both (and a few more resonators) locally available to play and try out. Just haven’t found the time yet to drop in and give both a good whirl, but I really want to and will.

I like the full spectrum capabilities of the Pyramide, but also love the idea of having l’Onde on a stand with a nice synth and have that set up with my acoustic instruments ready to jam (Onde should be very good for this). Pyramide is obviously much more stationary.

I have a “la voile” being shipped to me. I will report in a week or so…

1 Like

Really want one of these. Do you think they work well in a small space or do you need a big one ideally? All the demos seem to be in giant rooms.

Please do ! :smiley: