Korg Volca Kick

Awesome dirty drums there, jshell!

1st feb according to gearformusic in the uk

A post was split to a new topic: Rumour: new Korg Volca(s)

Sooooooo who has one, what do they like about it?

I have oneā€¦ itā€™s pretty nice! Overall, I think it depends on what you want from it? Iā€™m not using it like an instrument and thatā€™s probably a waste of it TBH. Iā€™m fairly obsessed with drum machines though and in particular kick sources. Not my go to kick source, but Iā€™ll be first to admit I donā€™t even come close to exploiting what itā€™s probably capable of. Running it through Analog Heat has been fun too. I wouldnā€™t hesitate getting one again, so no regrets on it.

All that said, I donā€™t personally feel something has to be analog or hardware based to sound fantastic ā€“ just not the case anymore. You can get endless kicks from Kick 2 and/or Punchbox on the software side and although I love the hardware I have I wouldnā€™t feel the world was lost if I had to use those alone.

EDIT: Not sure I really answered your question! What I like about itā€¦ just completely immediate to dial up kicks that are a bit different than the standard 808/909 variety.

2 Likes

This video is pretty sweet and demonstrates a unique use of the Volca kick:

3 Likes

I used to have an MS20ā€¦ but I really wanted the TB303 sound so I never got into itā€¦ listening to the demo of the Volca Kick reminded me of that metallic angry MS20 soundā€¦ The volcas sound pretty good but damn I cannot stand the toy-like gear that Korg and Roland are making these days. Those tiny knobs ā€¦ :tired_face: I tried a Tr08 in a shop the other day and walked away pretty quick.

I have bought the kick to synch with my monotribe. Very cool device!

2 Likes

I have been ignoring mine lately, but was just thinking about taking it out to try a few ideas.

2 Likes

I love the monotribe and donā€™t know why it lives in a protective case all the time. I should play that thing

1 Like

I added a MIDI OUT to my Kick.
I can motion sequence cc 40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49.

If I need a different cc, I port it through midi solutions event processor.

3 Likes

So much silence on this machine. I feel like itā€™s one of my most important pieces of gear.

Been running it through the Evil Fuzz by Death By Audio, and the Drone Rainger. Otherworldly shht.

I quite like it! Previously, I was recording it, then loading up samples into various Elektron boxes to layer with other kicks. More recently Iā€™ve been sampling directly in an MPC One. Very immediate and fun to use.

1 Like

I made a sample pack of what I thought was a sweet spot on it before I sold it. Itā€™s $1.

1 Like

Great piece of kit. Of the three volcas Iā€™ve owned itā€™s the only one I still have, though Iā€™d like to try out a couple more. Bought it on a whim due to a recommendation from an old music collaborator/ friend. Glad I did. You really need to hear it in person. Much boom.

3 Likes

I got it when it first came out & still love it. Especially when I run it thru Analog Heat. Sounds HUGE. BOOM! For the price itā€™s great, it makes really nice basslines & sub bass too.

2 Likes

I got rid of it. I honestly thought it might be dangerous for my hearing when using headphones.

Itā€™s indeed monstrous, but I also had a hard time getting it to sit right in a mix and struggled with the pitch.

1 Like

Fair points.
Unless itā€™s dialed way down it really needs itā€™s own space in a mix.

1 Like

Can you sequence the touch fx on the volca kick? Or are they live only? Iā€™m really into the one-touch effects on pocket operators that you can record and sequence, especially the 4/3 ones, always keen to find more boxes that can do the same!

What a great little thing (Volca Kick).
I didnā€™t even it know existed (donā€™t know much about volcas in general); until I picked one up for 70 used in wonderful condition at a local shop a few days ago.

I just got it to make up for some of the ā€˜narrow-useā€™ tendencies of the drumlogueā€™s kick, and itā€™s perfect for that.

But itā€™s becoming one of the most fun to goof-around with instruments I have, partially because of its limited, but extremely well thought out controls.

I know drumlogueā€™s PR/marketing push was on using the word ā€˜analogā€™ for their kick, snare and toms, but having this as the drum synth within drumlogue would have been so much more useful for me.