Korg Volca Kick

yeh man… looks like it doubles as a bass/sub bass synth… im all over this - lusting for it even as we speak

"Korg Announces Latest Edition to volca Series with the volca kick

An Analog volca Designed to Deliver Powerful Percussive and Chromatic Kick, Bass, and Sub Bass Sounds

Melville NY - - September 1, 2016 - - With the latest edition of the ever-growing volca series, it’s all about massive kicks, toms, and basses. volca kick starts with a true-analog oscillator and offers drive and MS-20 resonator circuits to shape earth-shattering sounds that can be played and sequenced chromatically. It’s the perfect addition to any volca or desktop hardware set to bring serious boom to the user’s sound production.

As opposed to generating sounds using a typical sine wave, volca kick starts the sound of an oscillating filter from the original MS-20. The powerful filter of the MS-20 self-oscillates when resonance is increased to the maximum, and this is used to produce powerful kick sounds ranging from solid kick drums to crisp kick basses with complex overtones.

volca kick’s 16-step sequencer now has a new Touch FX feature, which provides one-touch sequencer variations and time divisions for even more live performance potential. The pattern chain function lets users connect multiple sequence patterns for successive playback, making it possible to construct large-scale developments of 32, 64, or even 256 steps by joining up to 16 sequences.

‘The volca Series has consistently brought renewed attention to classic groove machines and historical synthesis. It now has a new focus. This time, it’s the most important sound in dance music: the kick,” shares James Sajeva, Director of Technology Brands for Korg USA, Inc. Like all volcas, kick has a personality all its own, and combining it with other volcas or any other hardware adds unique character to users’ setups. The familiar Audio Sync connection means it plays exceptionally well with other volcas, minilogue, electribe and SQ-1, and the MIDI IN jack lets you use the volca kick as a sound module via DAW or MIDI controller.’

With its compact size, battery operation, and built-in speaker, it’s easy to take the volca kick anywhere and perform any time. Available in October of 2016 for $159.99, to learn more or find a dealer visit www.korg.com"

3 Likes

Whoa. Is this for real? Seems a bit odd for a Volca but then again that’s kindof what I love about the Volcas. I’ve been listening to some stuff I’ve done recently with the Monomachine and Volca Beats and I love the kick on the Beats. I honestly wouldn’t mind something dedicated to just that sound - let the Machinedrum fill in the rest and have something that just punches through.

I’ve kindof been missing my MS-10 (not missing the upkeep on it though). I was able to make some pretty awesome kicks on that thing.

Id fuxt wit dat.

Volca Kick Sound demos on Soundcloud

Korg, busting in on Rolands 909 day extravaganza, a cheap ODDY module and new volca.

wake up ELEKTRON, people are going to spend all their cash before you come to the party.

Whoa. Those Arps are $599 US! And the white one is sexy as hell. Volca Kick and White Odyssey. My :elmm: and :elmd: looks like they’ve got some possible new best friends.

Product pages are up - http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_kick/ - and looks like there’s enough MIDI to make it fun to pair the Kick up with :elmm:, :elmd:, and :elot:. The accent features and sequence effects look really fun too, expanding (or flat out replacing?) the ‘step jump’ feature in other Volcas that has made for some fun live-remixing.

Odyssey page is up too - http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/arpodyssey_module/

shiiiit. The volca kick actually looks really good. I’d be tempted to get one of those, but I’ll see what the kicks on nanoloop mono are like first :smiley:

The volca kick seems to have a full MIDI implementation! This will be wonderful with my OT.

BTW, anyone else think it’s Tats rocking the new box in the video? He’s such a cool synth developer :loopy:

PS: that Arp odyssey desktop paired with the sq looks hella good! If only it had a better MIDI implementation…

G.I. Joe.

Elektron has to do something.

Must resist, must resist…

I rather wish Elektron would take their time to make something utterly brilliant, rather than haste something half-baked because of market pressure.

Also, Volcas and Elektrons aren’t really mutually exlusive things, different products, very different price brackets etc. People buy (and sell) Volcas at whim, Elektrons are (I assume) carefully considered investments that people plan on using for years and make full productions on them, not just simple 16-step techno loops.

There’s a place for both of course. I don’t think people go “Damn, I was gonna buy that next 1500€ Elektron box but now that the 150€ Volca Kick is out I’m satisfied with it and won’t buy the Elektron”.

4 Likes
2 Likes

more sound samples

2 Likes

Volca Kick seems as if it would really spice up any drum machine. Would make a nice MD non UW companion.

I am really liking the sounds it makes.

Sounds like rytm

1 Like
2 Likes

I’m tempted but surely this can be done on rytm / A4 .
Advantage with the Korg is ease of use ( assuming you can afford it)

1 Like

I love the Super Mario reference at around 2:00 :wink:

1 Like

Can the Volca Kick’s sound be replicated by other gear? Sure - I can get the same sound with my MS-20 Mini (see product description). But the point of buying gear isn’t always just about the sound. In this case, the portability is a nice selling point, plus I can use my MS-20 Mini for other sounds if/when I want to play live with it.

Nick of Sonic State has a chat about it here. Yes, quite a bit of talking, but also some useful little sound demoing sprinkled here and there.

1 Like