Korg Volca FM

Nope, not yet.
For now I just plugged the OT and already had some fun with the couple of them :slight_smile:

This app is next.
As soon as I have some time for it.
(wish I could do music all day)

PreenFM2 is available again.

tubeohm has them in stock also.

After having used the volca fm for a few days now, I am starting to feel slightly disappointed by it. This might actually be the first volca that I will end up reselling. The way the sequence data and the synth presets interact is making me pull my hair out.

Almost 90% of the sequences I have programmed do not recall as programmed, which in case of a 6 op fm synth is quite maddening.

preenFM2 intrigues me more and more, also since it appears to have a pitch env for every operator… and it can also run with a battery if you use a USB power bank.

Anyone else not all that impressed by the volca fm’s sound? The lowend is there, but the og chunkyness of a yamaha dx is not. Also the timbre gets horribly harsh at times (yeah, I know, dx style fm is aliasville, but its never this harsh)

how it sounds compared to the DX reface of Yamaha?

I like the keys, interface, and form factor of the Reface DX and the sequencer on the Volca FM. If Korg could borrow a bit more from Yamaha and make a Minilogue-esque FM keyboard combining the best of the Reface and Volca FM, that’d be my point of entry into FM land.

1 Like

It’s 6-Op FM compared to 4-Op.

I miss the “FLUX” option of the Keys, quantized trigs on the Vocla FM kill the flow.
But with the OT I can overcome this.

I had your “sequence sound disappearing”, indeed.
But in my case I thought it was due to changes I had made on the Program…
Maybe not… I will pay more attention to this particular point in the future.

Otherwise, I really like the sounds I got from this little beast.
Nothing like a plocking sequencer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Intrigue… After reading this I’m wondering whether to complete my order for a Volca FM? Perhaps my time would be better spent digging deeper into my AK. I have only just upgraded the OS for some FM functionionality… I guess curiosity will likely drive me to get one and try it out. In the name of finding different angles to add to my sound. Although the recent Moog Model 15 app has helped me to temporarily quash my gusto for GAS! I just sold my Volca Bass in fact, as even though it has a great sound, the limited sequencer, and no chaining, meant it didn’t get used enough. Having a lack of space and cash for gear can be a good thing creatively. If you pick the right gear to start with, and explore it deeply! :wink:

After some more tinkering last night I feel I have found some peace with the volca fm. I will just use it in a jamming/impro context and accept the poor recallability of sequences. It is a pretty good bass synth.

I do believe it really shines with the OT.

Got some time with the pair of them last night : with filter and reverb or lo-fi on the output, 10 MIDI CC for MIDI plocks and LFO-modulations, OT arp to stay on the right scale, one can bring the VFM to a higher level very quickly I found.
Got myself a workflow for pattern generation with this pair, really like what I get from this.

You’re saving any tweaked sounds as well as the patterns, I guess?

I miss the “FLUX” option of the Keys, quantized trigs on the Vocla FM kill the flow.
But with the OT I can overcome this.

I had your “sequence sound disappearing”, indeed.
But in my case I thought it was due to changes I had made on the Program…
Maybe not… I will pay more attention to this particular point in the future.[/quote]
Bummer about no Flux on the Volca FM. Love it on the Volca Keys.
I too am wondering if tsutek saved his sequences without saving his patches, because I saw a video in which Tats stated that patches and sequences are stored separately on the FM.

Perfect Circuit Audio had a 10% off for Mothers Day sale so I preordered a Volca FM under that deal, as well as a PO-28.

Yep ! Great pair. Just enough assignable CC knobs on the OT for the most important parameters, too. I’d possibly be frustrated with the Volca FM if I didn’t have a good external sequencer, but for the price (and regardless of price, on sound alone) it is a surprisingly great little synth.

You’re saving any tweaked sounds as well as the patterns, I guess?[/quote]
Yes, but the process is unfortunately a bit weird, since some sequencer functions affect the preset. So the only way to save the sound is to use motion sequence for everything and store the patch and the sequence. But the darnest thing is to remember to motion sequence every knob and slider on the front panel :sob:

Also, if you change, say, the algorithm using the knob, is the change now saved to the patch or to the motion sequence? It’s a bit vague IMHO

You’re saving any tweaked sounds as well as the patterns, I guess?[/quote]
Yes, but the process is unfortunately a bit weird, since some sequencer functions affect the preset. So the only way to save the sound is to use motion sequence for everything and store the patch and the sequence. But the darnest thing is to remember to motion sequence every knob and slider on the front panel :sob:

Also, if you change, say, the algorithm using the knob, is the change now saved to the patch or to the motion sequence? It’s a bit vague IMHO[/quote]
Actually it’s pretty straight-forward. You save patches which contain the sound data. Anything you do in a pattern should be considered as an override, just as with any sequencer that might be sending MIDI CCs etc… It has the interesting offshoot that when you load a different sound into a pattern already containing motion sequence data, new and unexpected things happen.

The only thing I couldn’t suss was whether it was possible to save a sound to a different location since the save process doesn’t seem to cater for it.

You can only specify the DX algorithm via the knobs, not with patch edit, unlike the carrier/modulator env knobs, which only scale the edit mode values. IMHO the UX is conflicting itself and a lil vague, but YMMV as usual.

Just got a Volca FM. Pretty cool little machine.

Haven’t found this in the manual anywhere, but is there a “Voice Init” function anywhere on the unit, to reset to default sound settings?

I’m trying to make some patches based on John Chowning’s book which bases everything off the init settings of the DX7.

Also, is it just me, or is there no way to save a sound to another slot? or rename it?

just you

Interesting. This book?

Fm Theory and Applications: By Musicians for Musicians

Pricey. Know of any cheaper options for getting it in my hands?