Korg Volca FM

Interesting. This book?

Fm Theory and Applications: By Musicians for Musicians

Pricey. Know of any cheaper options for getting it in my hands?
[/quote]

You will often find scanned PDFs on the web, with some diligent searching. If not, I hope you have public library nearby - these days, most libraries can do interlibrary loans if they don’t have a copy themselves.

1 Like

So how do you do it? The manual just says:
SAVE/EXPORT button
When not in EDIT mode, pressing the SAVE/EXPORT button saves the FM sound engine parameters.

Interesting. This book?

Fm Theory and Applications: By Musicians for Musicians

Pricey. Know of any cheaper options for getting it in my hands?
[/quote]
That’s the one. There’s a scanned PDF. The original book is long out of print.

I couldn’t work it out either, the save to a different slot thing…

Shout out to those Lemure users
Nice :panda_face:

https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/656/

2 Likes

i love it, i don’t care that its only 3 voice, i was able to quickly craft sounds with it though i do need to keep that algorithm and parameter card handy, the memory limitations aren’t really a issue for me with how i use it, i love that i can take a little fm box hiking with me easily now, i was very happy that it can all be fully programmed from the front even though it is a bit tedious, sounds awesome to me

the only issue i have is with the sync, i cannot get it to actually start via sync from a volca sample, so i’ve just been using midi which is fine and well, sync would be nice though as it would mean not having to bring a midi thru box with me if i bring a couple battery powered pieces along

Which parameters are you plocking? I’m curious about how much of the synth engine is available for CC control in comparison to the reface DX, which is limited to operator level, feedback and ratio (to be fair, you can do a lot with just those parameters).Really enjoying the little snippets of VFM you’ve been posting, btw!

Only the stuff on the front panel is controllable via CC. All the other synth engine parameters are sysex like the DX7. You can download the MIDI implementation chart to have a look.

1 Like

Exactly, so that’s attack + decay x2 , LFO rate + depth, arp rate + depth, velocity and I don’t recall the last one I use, maybe octave.

Honeymoon is over. Sold the volca FM, bought a prebuilt PreenFM2 to replace it.

The volca FM is a fun lil box, but for me, it only gave me GAS for a “propa” modern FM synth (with microtuning and pitch envs per operator etc). All good, the mate I sold it to likes it alot!

3 Likes

Enjoying mine, but Elektron really needs to release an FM/PD monster asap. :yum:

Alternatively Korg could take a Minilogue type approach.

Interesting. I had a preenFM2 and, though I enjoyed it, I found it never got as ‘glassy’ sounding as a DX7 could. I sold it off in hopes of replacing it with the Volca FM.

There’s not alot of sound demos of the preenFM2 on youtube, so that’s the only thing I am not 100% sure about. However, my interests regarding FM synthesis are beyond what the DX architechture can give me, if the sound is not the same it’s OK as long as it sounds good in its own way!

Picking the preen up tomorrow, so will know this soon enough. Thinking about getting a midi fighter twister to expand the UI a bit.

EDIT: hyvé luojé - the preen is pure beastmode

I have Preenfm2 and FS1R and FS1R clearly wins on sound. It is clearly much more “glassier” as you describe. Bass is deeper as well, IMO. FS1R is a pain to program, though. There Preenfm2 clearly shines. I really like the randomization options.

I admit the preen is not a typical DX-style FM box, and does not sound the same due to the differing architechture. People have been trying to replicate the lately bass sound for example, seems like no-one can nail it with the preen… But with the modmatrix, microtuning and the redux filter, I find I can reach places where a typical DX cannot go. No doubt the FS1R can be even more glorious (would love to try one tbh), but the price and form factor are on a different level as well.

But yknow what - the korg volca fm would complement the preenFM2 nicely tonality-wise :zonked: maybe I shouldn’t have sold mine after all

i received my Korg Volca FM a few days ago, and it is godly. I will definitely be picking up a second Volca FM unit at some point, and possibly even three in the long run. Favourite Volca so far. How they are going to top this I have no idea!

Just got word that the ship date just got pushed back until September 16 (at least where I live). Preordered in early July :frowning: What is going on with these units!? I hope that you lucky guys and gals who have one of these are having a lot of fun…

I ordered mine in May. I suppose it’ll come when it’ll come.

14 in stock here if you’re in UK -

Anyone sequencing the V FM with MD? Strengths? Caveats?

I’m curious, do the 32 patch memories include saving of all parameters? or does a memory just save the FM algorithm?