Korg Volca FM

It’s great to read people having no issue with OT midi sequencing. You are sequencing CC on the same step as note data, yes ? Because that is where the issue manifests, and on some parameters more than others… apparently.

Anyway, here’s the link to the thread where the bug was highlighted to me:

and here’s the direct quote:

so this individual is wrong ?

Hey BloopityDoopity and other Nauts,

I’d suggest we use BD’s post from last December to continue this conversation on OT MIDI CC handling, we’re drifiting from Volca FM concerns…
OK with you people ?

Yeah–we need to get back to the important stuff: it can motion sequence algorithms! And the arp, and what is the warp function??? And it sounds delicious, and I want it, and why won’t Korg take my money already? :wink:

I like your thinking here.
It’s a suitable workaround too for if you need more than the Volca’s 16 onboard patterns. Just store your song stuff or whatever on your OT instead of the Volca.

[quote="“pselodux”"]

haha, I thought someone said FM was only 80s epiano… I agree with you though, I fkn love FM electric piano sounds.[/quote]
I would not call Anfim or anyone else here an idiot, but on other forums, whenever FM synthesis gets brought up, there is always somebody who immediately starts making fun of DX7 piano sounds.

It’s a dead giveaway of that person’s age and musical tastes (probably 50 or older, probably listens mostly to pop/rock music from 1980 or earlier).

Well, FM is precisely the reason why I despised synthesizers for a long long time… And I still feel like it took quite some time to digest this technology and create something beautiful out of it !

:smiley:

Might as well out myself.

I too actually dug the DX7 piano sounds - both the bell-like electric type and the type in which the patch programmer made a serious attempt to create an “acoustic” piano.

I am also a big fan of the two hit Scritti Politti albums, both of which were blatantly FM heavy.

That all said, I understand this product is not meant for piano, lol.

I think I could find a reason to want/use/love any synth out there. The kind of tracks I end up making could find a home for anything. Currently nothing FM in my stuff, but I do have a great phase distortion board that I use a lot. Probably gonna grab one of the many DX-7’s I see online here.

With a TX81Z, NI FM8, a MnM, and the new A4 FM updates, got all my FM (lately) basses covered - no need for any more FM, although it’s fun to hear the Korg unit in action.

I do too, but I can’t reasonably bring that stuff on a bus or to a coffee shop. That baseck instagram post sealed the deal for me - I would never get that kind of jammability out of my current FM kit.

+1

OS 1.22 has only fueled my FM lust :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Hurry up Korg!

If you want “true to life” Yamaha FM, then you all should just buy a TX7.
You can only upload patches with SysEx
BUT
and its a BIG BUT
that space on top of the TX7 is the exact size of an Elektron box.

It fits perfectly flush.

It is the most space saving and useful implementation of DX7 style FM you can get, if you have an Elektron box.

TX7s can be bought for $80
You can buy a backlit LCD screen for $20

cheaper than the Volca, authentic DX7 mk 1 tone, easy to find space for.

Loading patches is moot, nothing about FM is “tweakable”, so just upload some new age conga tones and sequence into oblivion

EDIT: The DX7 mk1/TX7 also process the end stage of each voice in the polyphony separately in analog, then sum together. There isn’t MUCH more processing than just a simple out, but it does make an effect on chords. You can hear separation, which is hard to achieve even in something pricey like Omnisphere. You can also live tweak in an editor, its not JUST SysEx patch dumps, but no on-board editing.

1 Like

Damn you Korg!

seems like korg also thought about daisy-chaining two units for 6 voice poly :wink:

how will the voice allocation work though, since there’s no MIDI out?

I believe it’s just 2 synchronized Volca FM, not real 6 voice poly.

Ugh, want… Wish korg would bundle all the volcas in to a mega volca (volcatron!). Plugs/batteries/midi keyboards requirements are getting out of hand! Be amazing to have them all in one in a box like 2 or 3 times as big (making the keyboard more playable) and sooped up memory for patterns/presets… (and audio inputs for the sampler)…

1 Like

I suspect the export button will allow you to dump patches via the sync out port. I doubt there will be any sort of real time voice allocation beyond the three internal voices.

they should also make cards for the midi CC numbers for volca samp and keys, so I could tape them to the bottom of the units for reference :+1:

btw, anyone know a supplier for braided eight inch TRS cables? Like these, but around 50 cm long? (these hama cables are 150cm)

Considering pimping my volca cables, ever since I bought that new elektron braided USB I’ve been bit by the braided-look bug :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:dizzy_face: I have a fever and the only prescription is more operators. :dizzy_face: