Korg Volca FM

Buy two! haha nifty gas trick they got from the mother 32 promos :stuck_out_tongue:

(I hate how this forum software reduces Soundcloud links to little boxes)

Nice electric piano demo. Yeah, THAT sound, but I like it.

I guess they did it by linking two Volca FMs?

My Microbrute + 1 or more Volca units is my most realistic option for adding a compact polyphonic synth when I want to dedicate the OP to tape tricks/musique concrete stuff.

Doogie Houser approved!

Had zero GAS until they officially announced this. Now this is going to have to accompany my OP-1 and iPad for weekday rucksack, battery powered tools. Will make a great live 5th track for OP-1 album recordings. Octatrack users take note, also!

32 programs and 16 sequences is plenty for a tune!

I’m more likely to use a sound like the GlassPad or Syringe patch demos but they don’t show off the apparently greater-than-3-voice polyphony in as obvious a manner. I love how both of those demos show how the sound can be quickly changed by a simple tweak or two.

Bought mine for 159€ @ woodbrass.fr
They say it should arrive next week.

Exciting…

Next week? Wow…makes me wonder what the ETA for these is going to be like. I put in my preorder at Sweetwater (who seem to get larger/more frequent supply than most vendors in NA) maybe 20 hours ago and was given an estimate of mid-May…I also saw a promo from Korg earlier saying April, and now you say yours is due next week in France. Hopefully Korg can churn these little fuckers out quick, because I’ve been dying for one since playing it at NAMM.

Next week? Wow…makes me wonder what the ETA for these is going to be like. I put in my preorder at Sweetwater (who seem to get larger/more frequent supply than most vendors in NA) maybe 20 hours ago and was given an estimate of mid-May…I also saw a promo from Korg earlier saying April, and now you say yours is due next week in France. Hopefully Korg can churn these little fuckers out quick, because I’ve been dying for one since playing it at NAMM.[/quote]
Well… Woodbrass was displaying availability on their stock.
Now this info has changed and it’s due to May 6th !
I’ll cancel my order immediately.

Next week? Wow…makes me wonder what the ETA for these is going to be like. I put in my preorder at Sweetwater (who seem to get larger/more frequent supply than most vendors in NA) maybe 20 hours ago and was given an estimate of mid-May…I also saw a promo from Korg earlier saying April, and now you say yours is due next week in France. Hopefully Korg can churn these little fuckers out quick, because I’ve been dying for one since playing it at NAMM.[/quote]
Well… Woodbrass was displaying availability on their stock.
Now this info has changed and it’s due to May 6th !
I’ll cancel my order immediately.[/quote]
Unless they’ve charged you for the preorder already or are likely to get limited/late stock, you might as well hold your place in line.

I bought there solely because of the fact it was displayed as available.
Mistake or not, they haven’t offered me anything in return of the inconvenience.
=> I’ll go to another shop :slight_smile:

Here in the US, Sweetwater’s ETA for the Volca FM is mid-May.

Yes, it’s annoying when a store says something is in stock then says your order is will be ready in 2 months or whatever. That’s why I try to support more honest businesses like Sweetwater.

Mid May can’t come soon enough!

Pre-ordered locally and abroad, it’s the only way to be sure :wink:

I’m gonna sell either my microbrute or volca keys to get one of these, it sounds fkn amazing

Don’t want to hack this post.

But, like candide, i have simple question :
having a MnM, does volkaFM brings something more ?

Of course it does Elena !
:slight_smile:

1. it works with batteries.
  2. it seems to reach sounds I cannot do (yet ?) with the Mono.
  3. you can change the whole way the FM is calculated per step.

I feel like it’s a totally different animal, with its own set of limitations, but totally in-dis-pen-sable :smiley:

I love Volca series for their freshness, it’s really easy to tweak and thus to discover stuff about synthesis (at least it was for me).

Oh, and it seems you can load DX7 patches.

Only pity is that there are only 3 voices of polyphony…

OK, Thx Laying Dalai.
I did eard sounds that effectively I didn’t achieve with my MnM. But thought it was my lack of knowledge/work.
I really agree for the nomad ability (have po Arcade, lot of fun everywhere.
“In-dis-pen-sable” you’re under gas :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I sold my Yamaha TX 802, few months ago, too slow and fastidious procedures for programming and because I tend to downsize my studio (better with less).
I will wait for your comments about the one you will certainly buy :joy:

I really wanted more FM in my life months ago, so I ordered a Monomachine (that I’m still waiting for). I wanted something more complex to pair with the Monomachine, so I ordered a PreenFM2. I couldn’t help myself, and ordered a Volca FM too that should be shipping out today. From the demos I could find, they all sound very different from one another to me; especially, the PreenFM2. I really want to figure out what makes the PreenFM2 (one of the only few synths to use true FM) different from the rest.

I can’t speak on the PreenFM2, but I got the Volca FM today and have had the Monomachine for a few years. I picked up the Volca after playing it at NAMM with the intention to use it as a percussion/bass/weird sound generator (and it’s certainly capable of that), but as a 6 OP FM synth is can do a lot more lushness than I’d given it credit for, and the Mono is great for those purposes at 2 or 3 OP. Definitely room for both in a single setup. I bet one could do great things using the Mono for drums and bass, and the Volca fed into the Mono reverb and delay.
Dammit, now I really want a PreenFM2.