Korg Volca Drum

Oh, it’s a resonator for physical modeling? 6 parts? Damn…

2 Likes

Tempting isn’t it ? :smiley:

Total no brainer for me.

Yeah, a waveguide is a structure that guides waves - that’s the most basic definition.

Waveguide Synthesis is the type of physical modeling synthesis used in Yamaha stuff, and of course Korg got some.

3 Likes

Thank you

The (retired) Make Noise Mysteron was where I first heard about waveguides. I always wanted that module but could never quite commit to it. I feel that way about a lot of Eurorack - yeah, there’s some synthesis forms not usually found elsewhere for that price, but then you need a bunch of other elements to really make them usable.

I think that’s why I’m so excited about today’s Volcas: they bring the more interesting things from both analog and digital synthesis typically seen primarily in Eurorack or software (or in the OP-1) into fun and complete little hardware packages.

5 Likes

Well said.

Yeah, the wording on the official site is noticeably different than Sweetwater’s on that point.

Same. I’ve tried different routes to give my AR some digital flavor but nothing has worked out amazingly. This might be the trick.

Waveguide, comb filter, karplus strong and some other physical modelling methods are all pretty conceptually similar in that they are based around digital delay with tuned feedback and filters in either input to delay, output from delay or both.

Quite a few older digital delays especially higher end stuff could do this kind of thing, the Symetrix 606 delay was a notable example, you can often find them used for quite reasonable prices esp wrt to what they cost new.

4 Likes

It was your ‘karplus strong on Monomachine’ video that turned me on to the power of tuned delay feedback. Now I can’t get enough of it.

4 Likes

Ha, I totally forgot about that video, but glad you enjoyed it. :thup:

1 Like

It looks fantastic! I agree with the above that it appears to be a bit of a “Machinedrum-lite” in some ways. As someone with an MD, I’m having trouble justifying the purchase, but it would be an instabuy otherwise. (It’s also got a ton the MD doesn’t: probability per step, waveguide, etc).

karplus strong on Monomachine

This is that distinctive sound SOPHIE always ends up with, right? I wonder if the Volca can achieve it easily.

1 Like

if the fabled digiMD or malekko mrD don’t make an appearance at namm I shall get a ticket on the volcadrum pre-order train for sure.
holding out till then :sweat_smile:

Stereo out?

Only thing I’d say that’s stopping me from snagging one of these is max for live and all the new drum modules. So flexible with lfos and shaper. I’ve been building a lot of filler tracks with that stuff lately. Still, this thing has dual layers and knobs! Can’t beat knobs. Knobs always win. :rofl:

1 Like

Battery power too!

Knobs on the train to the plane to Spain, in the rain!

9 Likes

You can now get all 7 volcas for less than £1000(buying the 5 volca bundle deal). Thats a lot of fun!

I don’t think I have ever preordered anything but definitely feeling this, esp. with an OT.

2 Likes

So have I and its entirely down to you because if you didnt post i wouldnt have realised I can preorder lol

There really isnt much that can do this kinda stuff. It sounds really thin to me but its better to find out than write it off.

2 Likes

Yes. Pan control in menu though