Korg Volca Drum

This looks and sounds like a Microtonic + plus some bells n whistles in a box to me. Especially with the 2 layers per part and the similar envelopes. And yay for random! Will have to get this. ^^

1 Like

The way I look at such an instrument, especially if you have another drum machine, is exactly how I look at the Pocket Operators:

Great inspiration for getting a track started, and ultimately using the sound it produces more in the background, along with more hi-fi sounds up front. Layers, layers, layers.
Starting tunes from the “back of the room” yields unique results. Especially for electro.

10 Likes

Yeah, it’s a microtonic / MD-lite (very lite) vibe. Can’t see the kick drum carrying a track but for interesting/unexpected percussion layers I can see it being fun and very usable.

5 Likes

Exactly. This thing paired with my Digitakt and Volca Kick is probably all the hardware drums/percussion I’ll ever need. :slight_smile: And I still have a TR8 lying around as well for the classic sounds :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

After reading through this thread, seeing what features stuck out to the community, I have to say, my interest level went from 0 to “some”. I haven’t heard much sound yet, but I’ll check it out later today. They really packed a lot of features into the volca-sized box. It would be interesting to me as a compact, low-cost, sequenced drum machine used with Digitone, running the audio into the Digitone ins. That would free up a track on the Digitone… Hmmm.

12 posts were split to a new topic: Off-topic opinions of YouTubets

Probably at least 33% of them :rofl:

18 Likes

Pretty much an improved Sonic Potions LXR:Sonic Potions LXR

1 Like

But only every other hour or so. Probably.

2 Likes

Good point, not a main drummer but even coupled with a Volca Beats or 606 could fill the beat out nicely.

I buckled and pre-ordered both the new Volcas, it’s a sickness I tell you. :joy:

3 Likes

Yep, I’m on board with both pre-ordered, fantastic, now the waiting game :partying_face:

1 Like

Apparently mid March for Drum, mid Feb for modular.

1 Like

This video makes me think of Edward Norton in Fight Club!

3 Likes

“I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise” :rofl:

2 Likes

I‘m afraid I have no space for the Volcas :sweat_smile: what an irony

Jealous! Can’t wait to hear your take on them. My husband is now spoiled for choices on what to get me for my birthday…in June. Waaaaah! :frowning:

3 Likes

Same here, but I have a box of these kind of table beasts, as I find that they can be fun to whip out for a sampling session or just mucking around, and I think they fit that usage style well, none of my Volcas or Pocket Operators are ever permanently set up, and even some of my larger gear has to be stowed away if it isn’t core to my setup.

1 Like

I can imagine a Volca only jamming case to be lot’s of fun

Yeah, I suppose in a way I see these portable instruments much like a harmonica, set of bongos or acoustic guitar, in that you can just pick up and play without too much care or/of the considerations and processes when in the studio doing something “serious”

3 Likes

I do believe i’m more interested in this one than the volca modular. hopefully the midi implementation is better than the other volcas.

3 Likes