Korg SQ-64 Poly Sequencer

hmmmm indeed!

2 Likes

It would be good if manufacturers added more ‘lanes’ of modulation either to output voltages, envelopes, LFOs, CC values or all of the above. The Performer eurorack sequencer does this but you have to build your own.

It’s probably been requested but Elektron should do a stand-alone sequencer with their useful features. I’m sure they have the IP for this and it could fit nicely into one of their ‘Model’ boxes.

2 Likes

I only saw that it has a button labelled ‘Projects’, but 64 projects, that’s nice!

Also it’s not powered over usb, it uses Korgs ‘universal’ KA-350 PSU. I wish we’d see more devices, especially on those that are intended for live use with hooks for the power cord, though.

1 Like

Elektron, Roland, Korg are my top 3 of the medium/large companies, nods to the past but with just enough modern features so as not to be overwhelming yet not just simple clones of old gear, I think too much crammed in boxes makes for unsatisfying gear when the UI gets in the way of too much stuff buried away. A fine balance for sure, and sometimes they don’t quite hit the mark, but I’m glad they are trying.

I think this sequencer looks good, not sure if I will get one yet though.

3 Likes

I’m a bit daft when it comes to sequencers. Does this mean that you can either have 4 monophonic tracks or a 4 voice polyphonic sequencer?

1 Like

Oh my this thing is pretty. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Perhaps if you’re using CV, but according to this reddit post, the 3 melodic tracks have up to 8 note polyphony (looking at the hardware, that would have to be over MIDI).
I’m assuming that due to that, you don’t have to share note polyphony over the tracks, unless you’re using CV, as it only has a limited number of CV outputs.

Specifications:

Sequencer: 64 step sequencer with 3 melodic tracks with up to 8 note polyphony, and 16 monophonic rhythmic tracks

Tempo: BPM30.0 - 300.0

Inputs: MIDI IN connector (φ3.5mm stereo mini-phone jack, use a type-A MIDI converter cable), SYNC IN jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 20V maximum

input level)

Outputs: MIDI OUT1, 2 connector (φ3.5mm stereo mini-phone jack, use a type-A MIDI converter cable), SYNC OUT jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 10V

maximum input level), CV GATE output A/B/C jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 10V maximum output level), CV PITCH output A/B/C jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 10V maximum output level), CV MOD output A/B/C jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 0V maximum output level), TRIG output 1~8 jack (φ3.5mm monaural mini-phone jack, 10V maximum output level)

2 Likes

After some consideration, I’m out. My Deluge covers all the sequencing needs a fellow could ever want.

That sounds pretty awesome. The sequencer itself seems a bit basic, but such a hands on sequencer with that many tracks for that price is tempting. I kind of like using my DT as a sequencer, but it’s a bit cumbersome jumping between tracks, especially if you’re using it internally at the same time.

The leaked marketing text from the Gearslutz thread says otherwise:

“Powered through USB or external 9V DC adaptor, a choice of power options offer both versatility and flexibility.”

Looks like a USB-C socket, too, which is nice.

Would be nice, but when I zoom in it appears to be micro USB

Wider at the bottom.

compare:

While hope dies last (as the saying goes), I haven’t seen a device with seamless project loading yet.

Looks like the device is limited heavily regarding RAM (thus the 16 patterns, but 64 projects).

1 Like

Ah, dang, you’re totally correct!

Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.

3 Likes

Deluge loads project seamlessly

2 Likes
Offtopic: about Deluge song loading

Hmm, sounds interesting, but as far as I can see from the manual, it is not guaranteed to work in each and every case (it’s hard to tell if this is just a theoretical edge case):

There may be cases, if both songs contain a lot of samples (i.e. near to the Deluge’s 64MB RAM limit), where the newly loaded song may fail to play some sounds for the first couple of seconds. However, the Deluge does everything it can to avoid such a case, by first discarding any not-currently-playing samples in the old song, and if necessary delay the loading of any not-currently-playing samples in the new song until the old song has been discarded completely.

Well sure, when you use the pure Maximum out of a device it is simply not possible. If you take your computer und use more than it can handle or your synth and throw more voices at it as it can handle, they will fail.

Deluge streams from SD card, so we are talking about single shots only. As deluge is quite smart, you will have issues if you play them all together. Whatever that will be, is a bad point for a song transition anyway :slight_smile:

Not going to complain about more choice on the sequencer front, but one thing this is missing is the knob-per-step setup of the BSP (and even the SQ-1). An unrealistic expectation with 64 buttons, of course, but it does affect the use cases for the device - so even if I bought one, I’d hang on to my SQ-1 for accessible Berlin fun.

Having four TR-REC lanes stacked on top of each other, though, that’s an interesting proposition…

2 Likes

I’m definitely getting one. I love having a diverse collection of sequencers. I’ve also been eyeing the Toraiz Squid.

2 Likes

I actually use my M:S as a midi sequencer, although it’s very basic in terms of control over cc and note length it brings some surprising features. You can actually use retrig on the midi notes and that’s not possible on the DT.

1 Like

Yea, with the SQ-64 which is merely a sequencer, I don’t necessarily need perfectly seamless loading of a new project, just loading that doesn’t stop the transport or lose MIDI sync.
I have other gear that can keep playing through the transition while the project loads. The real challenge is having it load a new project without stopping or effecting synchronization .

3 Likes