Korg Prologue 8/16 Voice Analog Poly Synth

Definitely. Which is why I love these all these patch-crazy semimods, as the “classic” paths can be broken and rearranged.

3 Likes

Yeah nothing against them, but even the whole modular thing kind of bores me a bit now too, these days with very powerful and affordable microcontrollers, fpga’s and physical and biometric sensors it would be nice to see some synths pushing the boundaries a bit.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

Yes any synth, especially this size, that can’t be modulated extensively and lacking a multimode filter is sub standard. This is fundamental stuff
As for the digital osc, I am betting they will slap one of the kingkorg digital oscillators in there.
As mentioned by @William_WiLD I would probably choose a kingkorg over this, and wouldn’t consider that anyway.
Hardware synths need to offer much more than this to get my attention

Between the REV2, PEAK and Prologue the Prologue has the fewest features but sounds much better, imo. I really liked the demos, especially the Andertons one.

Might consider The Prologue only if they offer a cheaper desktop version, I have no need for keys.

The 16 voice version looks interesting. Clearly a swing at DSI and the Rev 2, same number of voices, same price point.

This is the most interesting bit:

User-customization

The prologue offers an SDK (Software Development Kit) that allows developers to program, customize and extend the capabilities of the multi-engine and digital effects and is expected to be available for download in the spring of 2018. The prologue provides 16 user oscillator slots and 16 user effect slots, and users can use the prologue Librarian software (also expected to be available for download in the spring of 2018) to load into their prologue new oscillators and effect programs created by developers with the prologue SDK (Software Development Kit).

What types of sound will you create by combining the expanded digital oscillators with analog synthesis? You can create original programs and share code to participate in the user community. Start with sample code provided by KORG. The prologue belongs to you.

4 Likes

Part of why it costs more than a Monologue.

Four analog synths per board. Am i mistaken? – It sort of looks like a digital controller with each one?!

2 Likes

Like someone else said, I too would be more interested in a module version than a keyboard - have 2 61-key 'boards already. Monologue is already a good enough keyboard controller for my needs.

I overlooked this bit:

User oscillator

The user oscillator section lets you load oscillator programs of your own creation. Sixteen slots are provided, and one type of morphing wavetable oscillator is built-in as a preset.

2 Likes

All the sudden this thing looks a lot less limited than on first glance.

2 Likes

the glitching is when he messes with the delay time!

1 Like

Sean Costello (of ValhallaDSP fame) has already expressed interest on coding reverb algos for this one, assuming he can make them non-open source somehow… :wink:

How about someone like Urs Heckmann coding some oscs for this, hmm?

1 Like

Yeah, this is what caught my attention as well. This looks like it could turn out to be very interesting, indeed. And the fact that the software will be open source is also quite appealing.

1 Like

Programmable Synth Engine, is really something new, cool idea.

1 Like

That’s the most interesting thing about this synth. Apparently you can create your own oscillator programs with a software. I don’t know what will be possible, but if you can create some kind of functions that calculates a waveform this could be something real innovative.

But what the hell did they thought by implementing just one LFO! If the digital oscillator isn’t as spectacular as i imagine, i will buy a prophet 12 or a Rev 2 Desktop. Maybe it costs more, but you get 4 LFOs over 100 modulation destinations and some of the best analog sounds possible.

I think for the more adventurous synthesists - those not scared away by the single LFO - it’s the SDK that’s going make or break this synth, as well as the memory capacity (storage and RAM). Wavetable sounds great, but if it’s only 8 waves because of storage limitations that would kill enthusiasm.

Similarly, would the FX side of the SDK allow something interesting like granular stuff, or 8 simultaneous delay lines like the UD Stomp…

1 Like

The question is, even if you listen to Techno, how often are those experimental sounds used?

I like experimental sounds. I use them often - does not matter to me how often Big Pop Star uses it. This was done on an OP-1

In response to earlier comments, yes it does look priced to compete vs. Rev2, and also System 8. Some people seem to dislike the Curtis filter sound of the Rev2 - any Curtis filter is an instant non-starter for them (and they let everyone know about it). I can’t stand the System 8’s lighting scheme myself.

2 Likes

I was skeptical with the Minilogue having “only” one LFO. That said, I was one of the lucky few getting it in the first batch. Ima slut. Anyway, fret not about it having 1 LFO. The oscillator section on the Minilogue is powerful. The wave shaping, crossmod, ringmod, sync (and pitch EG) can all be used in whatever combinations you can come up with. I’ve made hundreds of patches on it. I’ll def take a synth with a proper powerful OSC section then say something like the DeepMind12 (which I also have, it’s horrible don’t buy one if you like tweaking knobs, it’s like Windows 98; sounds like a vacuum cleaner and is buggy af). This’ll be another huge hit for Korg. That compressor on the panel looks sweet, so many people will geek way out of control having that AND an oscilloscope on the panel. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Korg Magic Eye Compressor Guage

Cute. Only on the 16 voice model.

1 Like