"The Pipe" from SOMA Labs

A voice controlled synth.

From the makers of the Lyra 4 and Lyra 8.

https://somasynths.com/pipe/

“Truly nightmarish sounds.” – Announcer on video.

8 Likes

Hmmm…

I think it means I can stick the mic into an acoustic guitar or hand drum, and bring them into the future… :slight_smile:

It seems like it’ll pick up the surface vibrations of an instrument or whatever else you might attach it to, and process that…

2 Likes

THIS! I have a dire need for this! I’ll have to redo my budget and weigh this against the Elektron NAMM reveal.

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Looks like some kind of alien toilet implement.

It looks awesome! I love the idea of innovation of sound other than knob-twiddling. Just as an experimental method.

But the aesthetic sounds from this thing sounded great as well and presented an output deeper than what you can get from keys

Definitely Eastern European. I blame communism’s legacy for this aesthetic crime.

1 Like

Wow that thing is absolutely awesome! Some sounds/„algorithms“ in the Demo are totally unique and they would fit perfectly as a intro for a psy track or some ambient, or a good horror movie :wink: Imagine sending the signals through a filter or a limiter and maybe some effects, looping it with a OT or DT!
So many possibilities, just the first 30 second with those monk like choir that also sounds like a horn are enough to trigger my GAS! I had problems to skip the Lyra, but this thing I have tu buy!

Thanks for the link, Jukka!

2 Likes

Absolutely! I‘m kind of excited what happens when you speak into this thing and what the other four algorithms sound like. But the input signals are almost infinite! It would be nice if it had some input port for other signals. I really like the way they did the demo!

Anyone round these parts got one of these crazy things?

1 Like

right?! Thing looks so cool!

Edit: I hate making music with my mouth and feeling trendy- so, this thing will probably not be fun at all for me

Freud would have a few theories on this!

But seriously the demos are ridiculous and for just rhythm alone this thing could get pretty cosmic.

I’m on the waiting list with a feeling I’ll be selling pretty much everything bar the OT and modular :exploding_head::gun:

1 Like

Every time I look at it, it’s always the same mental processes:

1- “wow! That thing’s crazy, imagine all the possibilities”

2- Imagine some guy up on stage playing that thing, how much of that is just being a showman so that the people will talk about his show as “he was playing this crazy electronic saxophone kinda thing!” and how much of it is actually crucial to the performance?

3- Imagine what it would be like to have that thing and try to playing. At some point the drive of making weird sounds will pass, and I’ll just be standing there feeling like an a-hole.

If these thoughts mean less to you than they do to me- then I hope you enjoy your imminent noisemaker! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not interested in stage performance, not putting my lips round anything in public :point_up:t2:Freud :joy:

The sound design possibilities are beyond ridiculous, also you can ‘pipe’ (soz) anything through it…

I’m thinking of chewing ice with it, eating a bar of chocolate, sucking spit and fizzy drinks with it.
I hate beatboxing, think it sounds like tosh but when you read the manual and study the algorithms it looks like this thing will keep you thinking and discovering for years…
Now although I hate traditional beatboxing I’m not too shabby when it comes to tongue and lip based break skills, and even just extracting groove templates (which I’ve never nor will ever use🤯) looks like a future I’ll be relying on…

This looks like my first instrument, as opposed to programming and designing.

But not in a hessian shirt on the London Underground with sandals, socks and a hat with feathers sticking out…

3 Likes

Those are valid points! I really do hope you have fun with it!

Yeah, piping things through it shows a lot of potential- and if you can actually use this not just as a sound design tool but also as an instrument- then that would be really cool!

I didn’t even consider the notion of busking with this thing- I cannot own this! (Why the notion of purely hypothetical people that will, most likely, never enter reality would scare me off of a product might require a deeper understanding of Freud/Jung…)

Also!

Brilliant! :smiley:

1 Like

It blew my mind when I finally watched a promo for it.
I think it could well liberate me from the cage of fingers :bomb:

1 Like

Got mine this week.

It’s pretty terrific, really.

Built very solidly as expected from Soma Labs.
Wide variety of sounds at each of the several settings, based on what your doing with your mouth, tongue, throat, etc.

Recording drones, bass drums, bass lines, screaming leads, and all manner of sounds in between is right there. And it’s fun as hell.

First impression is, I’m impressed!

4 Likes

Did you get either of the two different mics, the flat and the bassy?

I did.
Differences are evident between the two.

1 Like

Hehe, yesterday I watched this Pipe video, few hours later I watched The Nun horror movie, from the moment I heard those voices I was thinking it almost sounds like Soma’s Pipe!