Korg OPSIX

Thank you for your reply. I was about to buy the midihub anyway, that’s just another reason to buy it ! Thanks

It’s time for

ezgif-5-22ae59f713

20 Likes

Another fine addition to the collection.

3 Likes

it’s time for jeanne to drop in and bankrupt another thread. how’s someone supposed to follow that? in an op six thread?

you just modulated all the operators, at once. with no mercy.

1 Like

I watched her dancing now couple hours, how the heck does she get that energy!

1 Like

I just solved one problem, only to discover a new one.

I had just been editing a patch based a factory preset. When I went to save it, I experienced my first-ever crash on the Opsix. It hard-locked on the save screen when I clicked “yes,” and I had to long-press the power button to turn it off.

After turning it back on, I was momentarily relieved to see my patch had been saved, but when I went to load it, it hard-locked again. Another power cycle, and this time I just went to audition it through the list, and it hard-locked when it reached the patch in the middle of the list.

It appears I somehow managed to create a patch that reliably crashes the Opsix.

Anyone have experience with Korg support?

I was about to grab my serial number to send my support request, when I realized I had a much older firmware version installed than I had thought I did. So, I downloaded the updater and updated to the latest version.

The corrupt patch still crashed the Opsix after the update, but this time I recreated the patch and saved it over the corrupt slot, which has at least eliminated the crashes. Hopefully the current firmware makes it impossible to create another corrupt patch now.

I still can’t believe how complementary the Opsix and Digitone are. They have just enough in common that jumping between them is easy, while their approaches to FM are meaningfully different and encourage different ways of thinking and experimenting. Going back and forth between sound design and jamming with this setup… bliss.

3 Likes

This first patch is incredible. Do you remember how you made it?

2 Likes

Well well well…
Just got the panel and it’s almost perfect. The cutting shop workers refused to take money for it, gonna bring them a few beers when I make the next order.

7 Likes

develops a little slowly, just jump anywhere.

5 Likes

This is amazing! I really love all of the examples this thread has provided. All of yall please keep up the great work! It’s such a shame korg discontinued this one.

2 Likes

The did? :flushed: hopefully to make a prequel sized one.

The idea of using the 6-carrier algo, setting all the operators to more complex waveforms at different frequencies, and then performing with the level sliders is simply brilliant.

I think part of the fun of this synth is just seeing the techniques other people come up with.

2 Likes

New updates on Tall Dog Electronics’ case mod!

They’re currently running a pre-crowdfunding survey to gauge interest. The price is higher than I had expected at $179, but the case is all black anodized aluminum with a VESA mount and includes a replacement heatsink for the CPU (apparently necessary due to how things are put together). I can imagine the finished mod will end up feeling quite premium after swapping that much plastic for metal.

They’re also gauging interest for some add-ons such as angled wood side panels, multi-unit brackets, and mail-in assembly.

Link to the survey: Korg Desktop Synth Conversion Kit

7 Likes

Man, I’m in.
I think converting to a chopsix will be well worth the space saved, and the mod sounds pretty basic to accomplish.

1 Like

Looks cool. I’ll still make a wooden kit, but that one is cool.

Just got an e-mail with a Kickstarter preview!

1 Like

Ah, there’s no way I can get my wooden enclosure ready before summer.

Yo!
The conversion kit project is live! About halfway funded already, and I think it’s only been up an hour.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loglow/desktop-conversion-kit-for-wavestate-opsix-modwave?ref=thanks-copy

They’ve also made a new video.

9 Likes