Korg OPSIX

I was thinking Korg OPSIX Selloff — Side stories.

4 Likes

I like it.

2 Likes

Could be a fun thread, but I’d feel bad about beating up the Pi Foundation in a dark alley like that.

To clarify my comments above: What the Pi Foundation is doing for education and accessibility of low-level compute devices, unencumbered by MSFT & AAPL BS, is unambiguously good. I’m pretty skeptical of their side business of selling components for integration into commercial products. That is a highly competitive, super low margin business. Anyone competing from Shenzhen is going to eat the Pi Foundation for breakfast.

4 Likes

I hear you. We can keep beating them up in a well-lit alley.

1 Like

New thread:

5 Likes

Cool, I thought that also had the Fatar. I’ve heard good things about both in that case, excellent news.

Lots more for this thread, many stories of deliveries and discoveries to happen.

Enjoy your OPSIX.

1 Like

I’m primarily a guitarist and not much of a keys player. That said I do try to play and good feeling interfaces are important to me.

This keybed is the worst I have felt EVER. It’s worse than an Arturia Essentials, any M-Audio board I’ve used. It is so bad that I’d be livid if I payed MSRP for the thing.

I’d like to add that in most of the presets and in what I’ve tried to program myself there is something going on in the midrange that wasn’t there with my DX7II and Digitone. It’s a honky, nasally quality… doesn’t sound very “hifi” if that makes any sense. Am I doing something wrong? Most people who’ve owned a digitone and opsix claim the opsix sounds higher quality but that isn’t my experience so far.

I have very high end synths and synths of all ranges, the OPSix never stood out to me as bad at all. I never thought about it. I paid full price (like 850!) and I thought that was a steal.

I love this synth! I’m also not a keys player at all in a guitarist.

3 Likes

There’s some DIY desktop versions out there. It’s not the same as an all-in-one with excellent keybed, but I’m one that prefers desktops and a separate midi controller.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Korg OPSIX Selloff — Side Discussions

Got my opsix this afternoon. I ordered it from another Reverb retailer that was not the Korg Warehouse on 8/1 around 6pm EST for the same discounted price. It was shipped from Reverb Holdings in Chicago, IL.

6 Likes

Imagine what you could do with 600 operators.

1 Like

Probably something like this, but 20x more.

At that point, SuperCollider or CSound or just some python probably makes more sense. But I do occasionally fantasize about having a studio in a warehouse.

2 Likes

Nothing much besides droning. You would loose any musicality (if it’s even possible) at the slightest touch of a knob.

4 Likes

Moved some posts to Korg OPSIX Selloff — Side Discussions

Let’s try to keep these discussions somewhat separate. :+1:t3:

8 Likes

Had another session with the Opsix and I continue to be pleased. I feel like I’m getting more immediate results than with the Wavestate, even just with noodling on presets. Sometimes it’s a bit cryptic whether what knobs you’re turning on the Wavestate are actually doing anything. I think the UI will be pretty easy to understand for :3lektron: users, too. I also think the manual for the Opsix is easier to understand. Time to hit the books on Wavestate and hopefully get some awesome results there too.

6 Likes

Wavestate is cool, it just seems to take time even when you’re experienced with it.

3 Likes

Someone on Reddit recreated 10-ish Juno patches on Opsix:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yTWdGSBuvj3diCPnZUZfqQ062bbUF146

8 Likes

such a workhorse!