Korg Monologue

Maybe that is why they don’t furnish it now haha apparently it’s the same choice for the volca series

The plug on the Monologue/Volcas/MS-20 Mini is smaller than most 9V power adapters you’ll find. I bought a power cable and daisy chain connector for my Volcas/Monologue etc. here: http://kvgear.com/t/power

1 Like

I just bought that one and order a monologue too 269£ is lovely price

Still waiting on mine to arrive (should be another week or two) but I’m increasingly excited for it. Especially as a US Store had pre-orders on ‘Black Friday’ weekend for $240 US (maybe 199 GBP at current rate?) which is amazing. And will be worth a couple of extra weeks wait to save $60.

I pre-ordered blue and then regretted it for a while, wishing I had gone with silver to accompany my :elmd: and :elmm: and to honor the silver Synthacon that was my young introduction to analog synths years ago… But I’m really sold on the blue again.

I thought I was done with monosynths but the timing, oscillators, scaling options, and Monotribe-style fast’n’deep LFO and finally a parameter-locking type of Korg’s Motion Sequencing combined with a ridiculously good sale price put me over the moon.

2 Likes

You can. 100 slots. 80 preloaded. But you can overwrite them.

1 Like

It is not. Though it lasts pretty long on a set of batteries.

1 Like

I got one. It is da shit.

6 Likes

I understand what you mean now haha this little box is full of energy and good vibes inside

Why some fx it makes some great sounds, I like the presets inside too !

Really happy with this new toy and highly recommended for all :joy_cat:

1 Like

Monologue is fun indeed.

There are some points on the main PCB labeled ‘hi boost’ and ‘low boost’. From my initial prodding they seem to alter the EQ of the overdrive. You can just add a blob of solder to these points to enable the circuit, but I think I will try to add some switches instead because it can get muddy sounding on bassy patches.

4 Likes

nice! I love how Korg have made their recent machines easily moddable.

Every time I see these come up I’m tempted to get one, even though I had (and sold) a microbrute. The patch/pattern storage is a real plus for me though. Having said that, I should probably hold off on gear purchases for a while, since I just bought both a reface dx and volca kick in the past few weeks…

Interesting thing indeed I have not open the box yet haha but you were really curious to find this trick :smile_cat:

1 Like

I use it with OT and AR and I have not seen latencies, it looks nice at this point but I just tried all the day so maybe I missed something ?
When you change pattern on OT master it change pattern on the monologue too and it’s really helpful to my opinion

I’m a bit torn at the moment–I have an A4 and am very happy with it, but overall I personally feel it lacks straightforward low end punch. I inquired with a friend who has owned both the Minilogue and a Moog Slim Phatty, and he suggested if I want something for bread and butter sounds (my other requirement) and just pure bass bunch that I should really consider investing in a Moog.

I can potentially get afford a Slim Phatty if I find a deal on one on eBay or Reverb.com. I usually buy my gear through Zzounds and their payment plans. The Slim Phatty seems out of production or not available most places. I’m very hesitant to spend 800 dollars (Sub Phatty) on a monosynth just for bass and bread and butter sounds.

I trust this friend a lot. I’m quite torn.

Anyone who owns a Monologue want to weigh in here? Or a Minilogue (the evelope issue was also something my friend noted).

I also could easily just use NI Monark which I think sounds pretty damn amazing and I already own. But you know…hardware… : )

I can only tell you that the Minilogue does not cut it for low end punch. It is a really nice little poly synth, and you can create beautiful bass patches, but it gets nowhere close to the punch of an A4. I don’t think that the Minilogue was really made for that kind of sound…

1 Like

Full MIDI implementation chart is in the owner’s manual

http://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download/files/3393f3e21655946d9a32dc0b2d21f277.pdf

Page 57

1 Like

good question :slight_smile: I haven’t actually tried it, shame on me.

IMO the monologue sets itself apart quite well from the mini. The filter and osc structure with the overdrive separate it from the mini and it seems like they’ve honed in a very quality voice specifically for bass and mono leads. I played around with the mini and it didn’t do much for me in the poly analog space. I appreciated it as a thing (poly analog under $500) but it never jumped out at me. I’ve owned the minotaur, mini brute, slim phatty, and now the monologue. It carries a special tone and has a VERY nice bass element.

1 Like

I appreciate it the thoughts. The price is so nice on the monologue even if I loose a bit not liking it and selling it, it doesn’t seem so great a loss as a more expensive option.

Got my monologue yesterday, only had a quick play but not jumping out as massively different sounding than my minilogue, so I’d say that if the user scales, sequencer enhancements (which in theory could come in an update to minilogue, aside from the extra buttons) and battery power are not important to you, then you could probably get close enough with the minilogue.

Having said this it is a tidy little package, to me it does not sound as primitive and raw as the Monotribe, the LFO does not go as fast and the filter seems a bit tamer, but the extra synthesis options give it plenty of mileage to do all manner of cool sounds. I really love Korg’s eco-system of these kind of fairly simple syncable single job units, so for me the monologue was a no-brainer, the sequencer is very good although I do wish it had more than 16 steps, but you can set the step division, which is handy.

In summary I’d say it is a flexible and modern sounding monosynth, but capable of retro as well as modern sounds.

5 Likes

I think I’m more excited about the toraiz as-1. I thin I would get a bassstation 2 before monologue