Korg Monologue

Sounds great indeed but I feel pain without enough knobs to use :smile_cat:

I have tried to record it, not sure if it carries across - had to use headphones as the family is asleep, so the lowest C at the beginning is below my current audio range…

1 Like

Hahaha now I will!

Hooray, I got a shiny new toy… for all of your amusement and entertainment: the unboxing video.
cause who doesnt want to see a grown man be excited like a little boy on xmasday…

1 Like

I’m quite enjoying watching this while drinking a beer, being a grown man myself.

However, I think you should have lighted the candle behind you for that special mood, you know.

Can the Monologue somehow send its microtuning to something else via midi out?

The Monologue 's tunings can be dumped as SysEx files, but something else (software) would have to convert them to the format of the other instrument.

2 Likes

had the Monologue for a while. Tried out the Minilogue in the Music Store recently because i simply needed another Poly for my setup. Monologue has a bit more power, sounds beefier. As for the Minilogue: I compared Minilogue and System-1 and i went for the System-1 because it simply sounds better, more organic. That fu**in surprised me; a digital Synth sounds better than a real analog?! In that case - yeah, it does! Dont think the Minilogue is the best thing that Korg did. But the Monologue - for what it is - is really good if you only need a Monosynth. Its price is also fair i think.

[edit] do you see the line above @Prints post? 28 Days Later … reminds me of a movie i once saw :smiley:

4 Likes

I ordered one of these because I was looking for a compact midi keyboard. It’s handy that using its audio in, a desktop synth being controlled by it with only a line out can be used as an audio source in order to listen to it with a pair of headphones through the Monologue. The desktop synth’s waveforms would also appear in the Monologue’s oscilloscope.

Has anyone tried this yet? I’m curious how much the Monologue colors a sound source going through its audio in with the filter wide open; and resonance, oscillator levels, & drive all the way down.

I finally broke down and got a Monologue this weekend. The local synth shop had all the colors in and was having an ‘open mixer’ event and between sets, everyone was playing with the Monologue and I think the shop ended up selling all of them!

Although after I had purchased mine the shop broke out their one in-stock Minilogue for a couple of customers to check out and I almost reneged on my purchase in favor of the Minilogue. I thought it sounded great.

But for me, so far, the Monologue is pretty much what I wanted it to be - a more manageable Monotribe. Much of what I like on the Monotribe but with a richer sequencer and patch memory. (Monotribe is still fun and tiny and I think could make great sample fodder for Octatrack though).

3 Likes

Does the monologue come with the little drum section like the monotribe?

it’d be cool if they released a desktop version of the monologue aka without the keyboard. id like that.

2 Likes

No unfortunately but it is a great synth.
I really hope Korg do a proper drum synth.

2 Likes

No drums. But it can generate beats through creative use of ‘motion control’ (which now can act more like p-locks with per step editing). And the Monologue has the ‘sync in/out’ ports for connecting any Korg Sync capable things like Volcas, Monotribe, Pocket Operators, and modular clocks (and you can configure the sync ports to receive and send sync signals preferred by volcas or preferred by Eurorack).

2 Likes

NICE!!! Definitely on my wish list. I’m big fan of the Monotribe. The raw primitive sounds of that box are right up my lane.

Yeah I forgot! You can get some great rhythmic sounds from it with the crazy sequencer.
It’s one of those synths that makes you think, ‘hang on, I can get everything I need to dump in a sampler for complete tracks and albums’.
Good fun, and the function to set the sound to the front controls is brilliant. My brother has one and when I was round his place we just used to twist the knobs and flick the switches before turning it on, switch on the wysiwyg and bingo, a nutty sound to jump off from…

1 Like

Question to the monologue owners: can you sequence other gears with it? Using its internal sequencer?

I’m definitely going to want to figure out how to change presets with an external sequencer as a way to chain patterns built into the Monologue smoothly to break free of incessantly monotonous 16-step loops. Has anyone else tried this yet? Looking at the manual, I see that it’s capable of “Program Change,” what would be the CC number for using this? It says “True Number,” but I’m not sure what that means. Wouldn’t the “True Number” of the preset coincide with some of the CC numbers referenced for the other parameters?

Nevermind, I think I figured out what I needed. I’ve never used another sequencer for program changes before, and didn’t realize that most sequencers have a specific program change parameter that doesn’t need a Cc value assigned to it.

I don’t own one but yes you can indeed use the sequencer on external gear, extremely valuable!

2 Likes