Korg Monologue

I was hoping some educated elektronaughts could help me understand the micro tunings on the Korg monologue I know it simply adjusts the notes tuning out of equal temperament,

But I was thinking is it possible if I’m transposing a sequence on the monologue from the Octatrack can I make the notes of the sequence adhere to a scale by using this?
Or would it still just still move the notes an equal amount?

Say I write a sequence in c minor that goes c - d# 3 notes apart repeating,
If I then transpose the sequence g# the 3rd not is not in the scale it would be a b
With microtuning could I force that note to be in the scale?

Trying to do some research if this possible but if anyone knows let me know!
Would be cool to have a scale type function for the monologue

Cheers!

Some super great patches and sequences in there! Very nice!

1 Like

Dan I have a Monologue but it’s been at a friends house, I’ll be scooping it up in February though. Haven’t used the microtiming feature but I’m happy to try any experiment you’d like when I have it back.

Cool, I know you can just make out of tune sounds etc, I’m thinking would be good to force notes to scale for when transpose a sequence. Like change notes out of the scale into notes in the scale.

Think it may be possible only with software as can only detune the notes by 49 cents or half a note directly on the monologue from a quick video I watched…

There are pure minor, aeolian scale tunings etc… but it didn’t sound how I image it would?
Let me know how you go

This is one of many project ideas I have yet to tackle. Once you config the tuning on the Monologue, it should stay in that tuning no matter what transposition you throw at it from Octatrack.

Latest info I found is here - apparently there is a bug in the Korg editor that gets the tuning off by an octave, and one person is recommending Scala, which is a very mature tuning app, as an alternative:
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/a46a4c/how_do_you_create_custom_tunings_on_the_korg/

1 Like

It already has some regular scales like minor etc, but How do you know in which key?
I was trying to figure out c aeolian (c minor) and it still had off keys that weren’t in scale to my ear
and I couldn’t quite understand it yet, I’m def going to have another try though

Well, C Aeolian is just regular equal temperament.

1 Like

Yeah I know, that’s what I want to only have c minor notes available,
the scale was just called aeolian but didn’t seem to be in c though?

If everything is working right, when your Octatrack transposes from C minor to F minor, everything should go along.

I’d have to hear an audio example to better understand your problem. Otherwise I don’t know what notes you think are “not in scale”

Yeah that’s not really what I’m saying… read my first post, the Octatrack will adhere to a scale no problem, and the root note of the sequence you send to the mono will be correct.
But what if you ad a 3rd on the monologue sequence

not every note in the scale in c minor Is on the 3rd from the root note
I want the notes to all be notes from c minor on the monologue

Sorry, without an audio or video demo, I’m not going to understand the problem enough to be of assistance to you.

I’ll see if can Maybe post something tomorrow.
If you transpose a minor chord up and down it’s still a minor chord.
In cminor scale it has 3 minor chords, 3 major chords and a diminished chord.
Transposing a sequence up and down through all the notes of the scale
results in some notes Being played in the sequence to not be in “the scale”

C minor has c d d# f g g# a# in it.
I would like to tune notes that are not in the cminor scale
eg : b or a, to be notes in the scale so when I transpose the sequence it doesn’t play wrong notes.

Not sure I could be any clearer even with video though

I don’t want to transpose the key I want to transpose the sequence in scale

1 Like

Sorry if this is frustrating you but… anyway just to be clear is all the sequencing happening on the Octatrack? Or are you using the Octatrack to trigger a sequencer pattern on the Monologue?

Sending a notes from the Octatrack to monologue and sequence is playing on the monologue.
I’m just wanting to transpose the sequence in key like the analog four can

Ok and what key are you transposing your C minor pattern to?

If the sequence runs fine on the Monologue standalone after transposition, I’d look at how the Octatrack is set up to talk to it.

also test sending transposition note changes from another MIDI device or app than the Octatrack.

Thanks for your help but you don’t seem to be understanding me,
As I said a couple times I’m not transposing the key of the song I’m just transposing to other notes of the c minor scale from the Octatrack to the monologue which has its own melodic sequence.

I’m not a piano player but I do have a good understanding of music theory, but maybe I’m
Not using the correct term and I don’t know your extent of knowledge on this subject either.

Have you never transposed a sequence in ableton or your daw and found that since you transposed the sequence and found it no longer fits in the scale you are working in??

this is just a technical question on how to make the monologue only use a scale of notes and not go out of key it really has nothing to do with the Octatrack and would be the same just pressing the keyboard notes on the monologue

Not a DAW by some peep’s definitions but I did recently transpose a sequence - a pad track - in Nanostudio 2 by the wrong number of keys - G to A instead of G to G# - and boy did it clash with the other tracks.

This is my understanding of what transposition is:

" Changing the key of a piece of music is called transposing the music."

Anyway, good luck in finding a solution. I’m sorry I can’t help you after all.

Thanks for trying anyways, I know what transposing the key of a track is,
and that is not what I’m trying to do, Cheers

I revisited the Korg page to get the latest revision of the manual and I noticed that Korg released a Sound Librarian and 3 sound packs:

Still no arpeggiator function though. The sequencer has a lot of good points but it’s not the same as an arpeggiator, which, for example, would let me hold a Fmin(Maj)7 chord on the keys, then switch to a Fmin6 , then a Fmin7, then Bb7#5… and hear the chord changes in the pattern being played. I guess I could try the Octatrack arpeggiator but dunno if they ever added swing to that. Lack of swing was one of the most frequent complaints about the OT arp.

Anyway, looking forward to checking out the sound packs, revisiting the microtunings, etc.

2 Likes

…and the latest MIDI implementation doc has MTS info