Korg Monologue

I treated myself to a Korg Monologue last night - all the synth sounds are from the Monologue. I’m into this synth right now :sunglasses:

13 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Does anyone else notice some high frequency whine when the usb is plugged in?

It doesn’t bother me much, as I can just use DIN MIDI instead, or an EQ4 Live preset that notches those spike out. It is, of course, worse when I run my Monologue through Analog Drive or Bogner Harlow, but not unmanageable. Since I do a lot of filter fm, I often run a high shelf EQ to tame the highs anyway.

But I wonder if it is common, or unique to my unit?

Really grabbing at straws to find things to complain about on this great $299 synth.

I am bummed that it appears the forthcoming Monologue XD doesn’t adopt my favorite parts of the 16 step Monologue sequencer: separate step mutes for note/slide/motion.

244€ at Thomann. I find the sound rather hard and cold in Most Videos. How is it in Real Life? What are your opinions?

It is cold. Very precise and stable oscillators. Wish envelopes could be snappier for percussion, but it is a great buy for the price. Versatile when you get it under the skin.

1 Like

Hey. Is it possible to sequence external chords using the Monologe sequencer or is the sequencer purely mono?

I’ve never tried but as far as I can tell the sequencer can only transmit one note at a time.

Yes, I think this is a thing with all of them, mines pretty noisy however I connect it. It’s definitely worse when USB is connected though.

1 Like

I wonder if something like this would help negate USB noise: Audio iDefender

i get no good results togehter with ar : ( @the moment, need more exp with pattern chains via midi commands…

I just bought one. For 244€ its a fantastic Synth. I was a bit turned down by a lot of Demo Videos that only show the wild side, but to my surprise it is a very warm sounding Synth, that can be also so subtle Sounds. I need to explore it further and deeper but the kids already like it. :laughing: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Took mine out for a jam with a friend the other week. Combined it with a Boog (sequenced by the Monologue then run back into the Monologue inputs) out to a zoom pedal. Surprisingly flexible & focussed little setup, which output some amazing tones.

3 Likes

I just love my Monologue. My in-laws gave me a deck saver for it on my birthday.

The sequencer implementation is truly unique, with the ability to mute parameter automation / slide / and note all independently from one another. I get a lot of tunes started just by doing some crazy filter FM bit with lots of motion control, then muting these things independently for different variations on the riff.
Just recording that while my Drumatix sends in a nice fat 808 kick.
It almost feels like cheating.

9 Likes

A gold Korg Monologue was my first synth - I sold it while ago, having sampled it into my DT and thinking I’d “upgrade” to something else. I’ve since had a SH-01A, 0-Coast, Moog Grandmother and a Microvolt 3900 (which I absolutely hated, btw). They’re all gone now, but guess who’s back! Picked up another lightly used Monologue (red this time) for €150 locally and had a good sesh with it tonight and I gotta say: this is an absolute beast of a synth. For basslines, this thing is unbelievable, and it gets freaky real easy too, which I like. Don’t dismiss this lil guy just because of the price.

6 Likes

I’d definitely agree that the Monologue shouldn’t be dismissed lightly… I don’t use mine’s all that much but it’s petite enough to hold onto for the occasional use without it getting in the way. If I ever get around to playing live again I’d probably take it along for the sync’d up jamming with the sequencer along with the DT/DN.

Weirdly, the Microvolt3900 has been on my ‘curious about list’ for while. What didn’t you like about it?

About the 3900, I was also surprised at how little I cared for it, but it just sounded tame and sluggish. The filter was meh and the envelope wasn’t snappy enough, even the raw osc sound seemed wrong somehow. For the life of me I couldn’t make it fit into my music. Usually I’m enamoured with a new synth after a night of playing it, but in that case it went straight into the box and back to the shop. It does look cool, though.

1 Like

I’m not having any luck p locking program changes to the monologue from a Digitakt it glitches and doesn’t change
but when I change by hand the cc it’s instant…
is this possible?

Sorry to dig this up but I’m currently trying to do this but it’s not going as planned…
It freezes up when p locking on steps :cry:
Doesn’t seem possible anymore

I get you, I haven’t played one but have yet to see a video of it that sounds good.

Hmmm. Depending on which OS maybe?

2 Likes

Hi all,
I’ve just finished a patch bank for Korg’s Monologue. I was focussing more on Genres such as Ambient, IDM, Techno and Electronica. If you’re crazy enough to want to find out more, I’ve put together a video showcasing some of the presets included.

Cheers

6 Likes