Korg Monologue

Ok that sound librarian is very welcome. Thanks.

And thanks Korg.

1 Like

Same story) Comeback after 2 years, its brilliant, especially with Elektronā€™s seq! Use it now with Zoom MS 70 that plug to audio in of Digitakt. Simple but really good live set up.

2 Likes

I worked out microtuning for anyone still interested, You can tune the monologue to only play certain notes so if you are transposing a sequence it will never play an out of scale noteā€¦
In user scale press note then hold shift and turn program value knob it can change any note to any other noteā€¦ so Iā€™m sort of using it like adding the scale midi effect from ableton, so every note is in C minor !

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, is that C minor scale in equal temperament?

Yes the scale is regular equal temperament notes.
C,D,D#,F,G,G#,A#
I just made the notes not in the scale into one of those notes.
Like B, I shifted to C and A made into A# so it canā€™t play a wrong noteā€¦

You can also tune each note to be out of tune ā€œbetween regular notesā€

I tried to explain last time, but if you are just sending a single note to the monologue
To transpose the sequence running on the monologue there is a chance that you will get a note that is not in the scale of the key you are working in because it just shifts the notes equally up and down as you transpose the sequence, depending on the notes some could not be in the scale you are working in

Now the monologue can work like how the A4 does when you have set a scale
Or how Abletons scale midi effect works where it will correct the out of scale notes.

Also some of the weird out of tune scales are also good made something from one of those and it sounds interesting rather than regular notes

Thank you. I was merely curious.

1 Like

The Monologue is a wonderful synth! Had a great time with mine last night, great sound, great interface, smart design decisions, and great sequencer! Motion sequencing is so wonderful, modulation that you can draw in on the fly and re-write as many times as you want. I love the ā€œcatchā€ that the knobs have even when theyā€™re being motion sequenced, grab, twist slow, let go, and it snaps back to the sequenced modulation! I love that the sequencer can run without any note data so you can play live with all your motion sequenced modulation running, turn the tempo down reaaaal low and jam out while your knobs twist for you!

5 Likes

This was my son playing on the Monologue literally an hour ago.

We both love this little beast.

9 Likes

How do you actually do this? Iā€™ve still not tried.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hit record and turn knobs without playing the keys.

Hit play and now those recorded knob turns are played back.
Play your keys on top of that.

The sequencer is a fantastic modulation machine!

9 Likes

So simple.
I feel silly for not knowing but thank you.

Rightā€¦Iā€™ll let the boy know.

2 Likes

Bonus:

on the motion lane, mute steps and unmute steps while live playing for more variation.

4 Likes

Yeah. Iā€™m getting huge mileage out of mine.

In the latest firmware if you press shift the envelope and lfo go into negative values.

I find it really practical and pleasant to use.

I would love Korg to make semi modular Monologue XD module.

2 Likes

I would love Korg to give any of the Minilogue models the more complex Monologue sequencer.

Independently mutable note / slide / parameter motion is the bees knees!

2 Likes

The sequencer is gold. I will grab it sometimes just to sequence external gear. I wish Korg would make a standalone version, with midi, and CV outs for the note/glide, velocity etc.

3 Likes

Alsoā€¦ and I know itā€™s a somewhat basic feature from Volcas ā€¦ but Active Step (shift > note lane buttons) is absolutely killer for on the fly mini sequences.

2 Likes

All of this.

Itā€™s good for sequencing a 303 clone actually, you can run it back through that filter.

1 Like

If you want to record only Motion Sequences, make sure that you donā€™t Send any Notes from your Main Sequencer (eg DT) to the Monologue.

With my Minilogue, I have its Notes recorded on my Sequencer (DT) and the Motion Sequences recorded on the Minilogue.

3 Likes

Is there a way to edit a sequenced noteā€™s velocity on the machine (other than play it again)?

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like