Korg Monologue

:heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

nice (if obvious) workaround for latching a note for dronesā€¦ iā€™d been using a card to hold keys down (for sustain) until now.

Hadnā€™t even thought of using it for drones but thatā€™s a good idea, the I bet tempo knob could behave like an LFO rate knob for the drone tooā€¦

I set up a simple drone patch that I was going to use for a drone comedy show a few months ago. I fā€™d up and left the stupid backpack in the house - the one with the Monologue in it!! :sob:

Anyway, there is a menu option to set the tempo slower than the tempo knob will allow (30 bpm). My drone patch has the sequencer set to 15 bpm.

I was going to my MS-20 Mini for the same job, but laziness won the day - the Monologue can easily fit into a backpack - the MS canā€™t.

Might record a drone duet between the two as time allows.

2 Likes

What is drone comedy show? (Cranks reverb up to 65 percent wet and the audience roars with delightful laughter)

4 Likes

The concept started out as a joke between a comedienne friend and another mutual friend - a standup comedian would perform a set, accompanied by a drone musician. Originally the comedian and the drone-er were supposed to ignore each other.

I played with two comedians. The first turned around a couple of times to react - the 2nd time, he said ā€œWhereā€™s the wolf coming from???ā€. The 2nd followed the original concept more closely - pretty much ignored me. :wink:

7 Likes

Oh man I thought it might be a typo at first because itā€™s such a strange and intriguing combo of thingsā€¦ I think this story just made my day :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d definitely go watch this.

2 Likes

Huh, I wonder if Oscillator Sink (Youtube) is getting any credit for detailing these tricks months agoā€¦

3 Likes

Cool, the Moog Music guy showed us the filter-as-oscillator trick and the ā€œdrum machineā€ trick on the Mother-32, at the Mother 32 workshop in DC last winter.

Fun tricks to try on any analog/VA synth that has a built-in sequencer and some kind of parameter automation (ā€œmotion recordingā€ in Korg speak).

1 Like

In fairness to Oscillator Sink, hereā€™s the first video of his Korg Monologue Tricks series:

He also has a Monologueā€¦Letā€™s Build series, focused on patch creation.

2 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s what I was kind of getting at - these tricks were discovered so long ago that we donā€™t know who deserves the proper credit. Best we can do is share the info and make music.

Hi! Was pretty set on a bs2 for a cheap bread butter knobby synth, but after reading reading all the thread from the start, i will save some money and looks like i will have a lot more fun with this one!! Next buy, will go well with digitakt and sample of mars drums!!

1 Like

as a previous BS2 owner, I support this pivot!

BS2 is a great synth, but the sequencer is too basic and without much memory.
Monologueā€™s seq is something special, even with less steps.

1 Like

Should be here tomorrow was looking for a second hand one, was one of the cheaper, though the most desirableā€¦ silver one as it was 2o cheaper than the other colors, should look really well along the md, which i think more and more i will keepā€¦

I noticed the black version was a few pennies over Ā£200 on Juno. Really donā€™t need another monosynth but at that price itā€™s tempting all the same.

Edit: looks like it sold outā€¦ phew.

This is a piece i recorded with Korg Monologue, Electro-Harmonix 2880 Multi-Track Looper, TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay & Digitech Supernatural Ambient Verb.

Iā€™m planning to do more tracks with the Monologue because itā€™s a good way to get to know a new synth. The Monologue definitely has its limitations but i find the sound very inspiring.
Hope you like it!

11 Likes

I have one now. Way more fun than the price tag implies. Looks very nice. Planning to do some ā€œone synth onlyā€ with this one.

3 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s very good value for the money.

Hereā€™s another track i made with it:

3 Likes

Like the track, and the invader gloves.

1 Like