Korg Modwave

The few stores here in Japan that are showing dates say June 2021

2 Likes

Is it bad that I am not that interested in the wavetable synthesis, but am interested in this as a simple modern bi-timbral V/A with 32 voices and multiple filter types?

Also curious how the “multi-gigabyte” PCM library stacks up to something like the sample playback capability of the Nord Wave 1.

Still, I wouldn’t mind it having another octave. 37 keys is fine for mono synths, but the Pro 2 has taught me that for paraphonic or polyphonic, 44 and above does make a big difference.

5 Likes

Some bad juju going on with MI and pro audio parts lately. :expressionless:

1 Like

I really expect they’ll do an SE version of this too, eventually.

I can believe that. If so i’d think Korg would say so officially within a month or so.

Seems like a nice complete digital synth, with its range of capabilities. Looking forward to getting more information.

1 Like

excellent, yet another product to wait an eternity for! haha

and while I’m ranting, I’d also love to see some chord memory. In other words, I probably just want a Nord Wave 1. :thinking:

4 Likes

Didn’t the last Osmose update also say June? So that’s a good three months, then deal with the space crisis of two simultaneous devices. Personally, I’m looking forward to the alternative controller Erae Touch promised in April. It might possibly free up some space by replacing a couple of other things.

Oof, I’ve been interested in a Prophet VS for ages, then I wanted a Microwave 1, perhaps this may get me in the same crunchy filthy Wax Trax aesthetic, if not quite same sound. I would still love to have the sound… but $600 versus $2000+? I may be convincible.

2 Likes

No, makes perfect sense! I love it when an instrument does things its own way and features you wouldn’t normally be interested in open up your options and expand your appreciation for them :3

1 Like

Good to remember that the oscillators, can do both sample playback and wavetable sounds.
It’s not purely a wavetable synth.

As the Korg Modwave page says:
Or, layer wavetables with samples from the built-in, multi-gigabyte PCM library.

You can also load and create your own wavetables.
I’m not sure if you can load your own samples.

1 Like

This whole global chip shortage thing is really cramping my style of buying new and exciting. synths.

5 Likes

They’re just going to have to build an all discrete circuitry version in the mean time. Slight downside is it will be the size of a pipe organ.

4 Likes

Somebody started a Chicken Little style thread on the Kronos.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=124676

Might be interesting to see how soon Korg ceases production of the Kronos and how this impacts the Modwave.

When was the latest Titanium edition of Kronos announced? Seems kind of recent. I’m not convinced they’re going to stop producing the Kronos anytime soon.

The Modwave being a top example. It feels like it has just disappeared.

I’m thinking Korg will be dropping us another hint soon.

1 Like

I was just looking at Thomann who updated the shipping time from 3 weeks to, I think, 11-15 weeks.

I’d cry more if I didn’t love this Hydrasynth KB so much. Unfortunately for Korg, it’s chilled my desire for the Modwave considerably.

I think that’s because they already sold out the 200 units they’re getting of the first shipment. Behringer usually does the manufacturing in steps to get out the manufacturing bugs. The B. RD-9 will be a hot seller.

I’ve had a Hydrasynth Keyboard all along, and find the Modwave interesting because of it !

My reaction often enough to those A or B — Which should I get ? threads is often: Both.

If i like one synth, for whatever the mysterious reasons, that tells me i’d likely like the other too. The HS and the Modwave are similarly different, and I can see going between them, reacting to the specific thing i am seeking, almost on whim.

For instance the differences in the Modwave, the 4 wavetable, in both Layerss A and B and the inclusion of samples, give it a very different feel. I think the modulations will work differently too.

I know the keyboard on the Modwave will be.a liitle bit of a let down compared to the HSK (for me at least). I’m hoping i’d be able to use the HSK as a controller, coordinating the two outputting the HS Mod-Matrix control.

Plus the Modwave is not that expensive, it’s the Hydrasynth Desktop cost. I’ve thought about adding an HSD — i think the Modwave might be better, it’s still a luxury no doubt.

1 Like

Good argument! :thinking:

1 Like

Ha. It’s been good for me in a sense. I’d probably have a modwave at least to try it by now. Some decent alternatives around however including the HS.

Hoping the modwave sounds a good deal different than the wavestate. Used to have access to a wavestation and was never a huge fan of the sound tbh. Eager to hear more.

1 Like

The ability to load samples with Wavetables, and import user wavetables is why I’m getting this. Plus I have and love the wavestate and op6. Put my preorder in with sweetwater. They are in the double digits.

Video presentation coming June 6.

4 Likes

I only wish it had chord memory.

The video just premiered. Wow that’s a nice paint job. Sounds good too.

3 Likes