Korg miniKorg 700fs

Fantastic! I’d have preferred they reissue the 770 instead but this is still really solid. The original was fun and had boat loads of character. This era of Japanese synths sounds so much different than what came out in the '80s.

3 Likes

There was a 770 in some of the “pile of vintage gear we’re probably going to clone” photos from Behringer a while back. I would imagine that one is simpler to clone with roughly the same layout vs something like the 700s, so I think there’s at least a chance that you’ll see some version of the 770 in the future

1 Like

hopefully not from Behringer. Hopefully a real Korg.

No thanks

1 Like

This looks great for lead and basslines. Im very tempted. Plus it looks bloody fantastic!

Just checked with Korg U.k. They say it will be Summer before its released. Andertons are a bit more conservative in their estimation saying September.

3 Likes

I don’t think we’re going to see this until 2022 sometime. Sweetwater’s placeholder says Jan 2022 which means they do not have a release date.

Then again this just happened.

1 Like

I bet they double dip and re-announce it at NAMM again this winter. Hey, you know, people have short memories :man_shrugging:

This will probably be the only synth I’ll buy on looks alone, lol

2 Likes

I played my vintage 700 last night for 4 hours through a stereo delay with silky pads from the Summit sequenced underneath. It looks amazing for sure but the SOUND is crazzzzy fat dude, way thicker than my MS-20M, thicker than my Odyssey, and in a very specific way too. Where my other monos sound kind of “pebbly” or grainy in the low octaves (I’m sure you know what I mean by that, grainy in a good way with plenty of fat) the 700 is just smoooth gigantic bass that sounds so organic. The filter is ultra quacky too, it’s super fun to keep your fingers on both high and low and continuously move them as you play.

I’ve watched all the available videos on the new one, it definitely sounds like a 700 but the character I’m talking about doesn’t really come through. I’m sure it’s there though, Korg nailed it I’m sure. I’m super curious to compare them once I get my 700FS. I think the filter in my 700 has been modified, there’s a weird floating pot wired up inside the case that seems to change the response, it’s just hanging out loose inside wrapped with ANCIENT tape. I don’t dare touch it!!! The sound is flawless.

8 Likes

I’ve just placed an order for my dream Synth. Plenty of time to put money on the side.

7 Likes

I hope for a small version…

It’s already really small… it’s just super heavy!

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up re: new videos

Seems like only available for purchase in Australia. First video I clicked has dude with Oz accent. That first bass line he plays sounds pretty darn good to me, although I’m sure nothing beats in-person audition - which was certainly the case with the Matriarch for me.

1 Like

I remember seeing a mid- noughties synth group play at one of our main local venues in London with at least one and maybe more miniKorgs, and it being really good. Maybe now’s the time to start saving…

1 Like

I’ll make a recording of mine and post it up in this thread in the next few days, just to tempt you guys.

They really do sound the business. Gorgeous filters and oscillators and it weighs as much as a piece of '70s hifi.

2 Likes

This vid is a bit noodly but I like some of the sounds. I cued it up to the more experimental bits here

Minor warning: Don’t waste time on Todd Smith videos. Yes, this dude has a video on the miniKorg. All his videos are just talking about some synth - no music, no synth demos, etc.

3 Likes

Man, definitely one of the sexiest synths ever, IMHO. Cool that they added the joystick.

If I had infinite time, space, and money, I’d love one of those on top of an old Rhodes. Not in the cards, but I can definitely appreciate it!

A mini version with Keystep-sized keys would probably be irresistible to me, particularly if it had a good keybed so could function as my main midi controller.

2 Likes

No MIDI OUT (DIN) on this Synth. There is a USB Port but I don’t know its purpose yet.

1 Like