Korg Arp 2600M

Nothing is what it seams this days, yes. But this is not affordable. It could be, but it is not.
Or to make my self clear, in the world where there is behringer, this is no longer affordable, it would be if it was 1:1 copy, but since its not, and is smaller (like the behringer) and it has plastic nuts, no , i wouldn’t call it affordable.
Korg is not some boutique company, they are like Behringer, mass producing old cheap tech for a lot more money. Not affordable.
But lit us just say I disagree with your opinion. But it is good for korg if people think this is affordable, and somehow more Arp 2600 than other clones.

1 Like

It’s affordable. I’ve got the 2600 FS. That was affordable too. It might not be for you- but you can’t just determine whether something is affordable or not as an absolute. Now … A Porsche Cayenne- that’s not affordable for me. But I see plenty of them on the roads …

I am not talking about who has more money. I wasn’t talking “affordable” as an absolute, I was talking about the price in one or two contexts, but not to repeat my self, I disagree with you and you with me. :smiley:
P:S
Car metaphors are always exciting :blush:

Hey, you’re stating this like it’s a confirmed fact, where have you seen this confirmed? Really hoping that this is not true!

exactly. Model:Samples is very affordable for me. for my sixteen year old nephew that wants to get into such things, not even the Volca Sample is affordable.

also: did Korg ever say “this is affordable!” in their press release? maybe “more affordable…” which is true. unless we wanna argue if $4k > $2k…

2 Likes

There is no way the nuts on this photos are real. mark my words. :stuck_out_tongue:

yes, in this context, but in the context of synth market, both are affordable. ModelSamples being better value, having better sequencer and build quality etc. There is nothing better you can buy for this prices, so they are affordable.

But this smaller sized clone is not affordable if they intend to sell it side by side with beringer clone. just sayin.

I’d argue the Moog Matriarch offers more for the (nearly same) money than the 2600m. and it’s definitely not built with plastic jacks/nuts (though it’s not 100% clear the 2600m is either). is the Matriarch affordable by your definition then?

2 Likes

Hmm… yes, i would say so. Is there anything like it you can buy for less? I am not aware if there is. Never the less, it is original design, must be worth something also… Paraphony. Big size …Don’t know a lot about that synth…

Soo not confirmed then. Thank goodness, I really don’t think they would go that route for this synth.

Sorry, yes it is not confirmed !! I hope it isn’t plastic, that would be really sad thing to do .

2 Likes

so… it’s not the dollar value, it’s the fact that Behringer made a similar one.

that’s a fine point. and one made several times already. if Korg had introduced this a couple years ago, they’d likely sell more. it remains to be seen how well it sells. I’m sure B will sell a ton of theirs too. there’s nothing wrong with having options. we’re very lucky to have all of those we do these days.

but remember: to many people, the B version basically doesn’t even exist. so it’s a choice of a Korg version for $1800, Antonus/TTSH versions for $3k-ish, or the FS and original versions for the better part of $10k.

3 Likes

Are you saying there will be no Barp 2600??
Because i can make an order now on Thomann and it is 615 EUR.
5-7 weeks waiting time.
I cant order korg 2600m though .

:musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note:
Those fake plastic Korg Arp nuts,
In a small 2600M,
It’s got reverb inside.

But it looks like the real thing,
And it sounds like the real thing,
Those fake plastic nuts.

2 Likes

I think as far as Korg are concerned, the fact that Behringer have made some sort of ugly Christmas tree thing that they say is a clone of a 2600, but sounds hardly like one from what I can tell, isn’t their concern really. And I think they know enough other people will feel the same.

FWIW this 2600 M isn’t a ‘real’ 2600 either - it’s too small. And the size of something does matter in a clone. To be a true ‘new’ version it needs to be 1:1 … but can ( & should ) include refinements like MIDI.

This is what Sequential have done with the Prophet 5 … & what Moog did with the Model D reissue.

The 2600 FS is an ARP 2600 to all intents & purposes. The 2600 M isn’t - but given it’s got the ‘guts’ of the FS I think at least you can be confident it will sound right. But it won’t give you the experience of playing an ARP 2600, in the same way playing an upright piano won’t give you the same experience as playing a grand.

2 Likes

I’m saying many people will never buy the B version. or anything from them. clearly the thing actually exists. I’m saying it may as well not, to many.

4 Likes

What appeals to me about the 2600M is the fact that it’s an actual reedition of the original one, on a smaller scale, because the size matters to me. I don’t have much space to fill in my studio and having the ability to get the original 2600 sound in that tiny space is huge. Now the BARP 2600 is also great sounding but it’s a modern revision, it doesn’t look sexy and having a more premium built version also matters, the 2600M is made in Japan, the BARP is made… I don’t even know where…

So people will ignore the fact the Barp exist, and buy Karp mini2600 , ok, I misunderstood you.

I don’t care who will buy what, I was just irritated by Korg saying this is affordable, and just now, in this times ? when so many people will or already has lost there jobs, and are struggling to pay rents and put food on the table. And yet, they think it is ok to call this affordable. I now there are people who can buy it, I can buy it to, but will never do it, neither will I buy Barp, booth are small replicas of some past gone dreams.
I would ( maybe ) buy The FS Arp 2600 clone , but not for 10 000 greedy pesos.

2 Likes

People are indeed struggling & have lost their jobs. In those unfortunate cases I suspect that buying any sort of Synthesizer is not an option - whether it’s £300 or £3000 won’t make much difference.

Im not really sure where you’re trying to go with this argument now at this point. It’s clear you feel the 2600 M does not offer good value for money in your opinion. That’s fine. But I don’t think you can keep trying to argue that other people might feel that it is both affordable & good value for money.
Different things sit at different price-points in a free market economy. That’s how it works.

2 Likes

Let’s also all remember that these prices are just speculative, I spoke with the folks at Sweetwater and was told that they are still waiting on pricing information from Korg for both this and the 700FS.

A few things to think about; the MS-20FS costs US $1,400, comes with a keyboard, modwheel, 1/4 inch (real) panel mounted jacks, and a full compliment of connectivity. The speculation that this would come with plastic fake nuts on 1/8 jacks for a (speculated) US $1,800 doesn’t make too much sense to me personally. Yes it has USB Host, yes it has one more oscillator vs the MS, a case, and a few other goodies, but still… Let’s just wait and see, I think we will all be pleasantly surprised.