Kodamo EssenceFM

Great news! Seriously all about this synth!

Latest jam using just the EssenceFM, sequenced by OT

10 Likes

Stoked to see that you’re enjoying it, and as a direct result of your enjoyment I’ve been getting to enjoy the music you’re making on it!

1 Like

Wow, thanks!

Just watched a few Kodamo YouTube videos while having coffee. So funny that I’ve been able to make some music that I like the sound of while simultaneously watching these videos and thinking, “what page did he just go to? I’ve never even seen that page?!”
It’s weird to realize you basically have no idea how to use a machine, yet you’re making music daily on it anyway :slight_smile:
Tutorial time! I really do wish they’d give one to somebody who could do a good series of English tutorials, but just chipping away at it on my own is fun too

2 Likes

Got mine today!:+1:

Really excited to start exploring! :wink:

7 Likes

Congrats! Hope you love it and report back either way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! Please share your impressions, I’d love to see more video/audio about this synth.

2 Likes

@Snipecatcher @SanktDavid

Thanx!:+1:

First impressions are very good, the hardware is really nice and put together well. Though the 6 encoders feels a little wiggly but i got a reasonable explanation for it from Kodamo. They used an encoder rated for 100000 cycles, the shaft is loose by design, with less resistance. Stiffer ones that they could source was only rated for 15000 so they went with the longer life cycle.

The encoder performs perfectly though without any skips or lack to register when turning.

I do find it kind of challenge to find a good place/angle for it in my office, it really needs to be angled IMHO and i do not want it to far away on the desk.
So iv ordered a tiny angled rack to hold it, will arrive tomorrow so ill post some images later.

The touch interface is really snappy, really nice to work with. Buttons are awesome, even feel better than the Elektron buttons.

Haven’t had much time playing with it, but some of the stock patches sounds really nice, easily rivals the DN in terms of sound output. And of course outperforms it in many other areas, name sequencing.

Once I got some more time with it, and learned the interface I’ll post some videos.:+1:

Nice! Sounds like everything is off to a good start :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Paul,

My unit came with a kit with brackets, screws and a hex key. I found these work well for desktop use at an angle.

Cheers,
Rick.

2 Likes

Hi Rick!

Yeah i got those too, and they work, but i do want something a little sturdier. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I put the supplied tilt back legs on my EssenceFM and they do work, but it’s a temporary solution as it slides kinda easy.

Came up with a patch I was quite fond of today. So fun to program this synth. Stacked 3 ‘brass’ voices, tweaked each one for a bit, added pan automation and a voice sequence… worked great.

Not sure why I shared that little tidbit, but I just keep liking this synth more every day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah they are not very stable and they sound when moving it slightly is killing me lol.

UPS will deliver my rack stand today hopefully and ill get it set up more permanently.

Just glanced over the patches and really look forward exploring it!

I think i recall that as of now there isn’t a easy way to export and shares patches, but it sounded like it’s coming ?

Not sure, honestly. I just spent the past 18 months deep down the modular rabbithole, so I rarely even save patches! There’s a couple I regret not saving :slight_smile:
I still make every patch from scratch, which is really fun on EssenceFM

1 Like

Kinda chill, kinda glitchy…all EssenceFM

6 Likes

Nice!! :+1:

1 Like

Firmware 3.1 is out:
https://kodamo.org/firmwares.php

1 Like

Oh, wow! I talked to Stephane yesterday and forgot to ask about that. Would you happen to know what’s new in this firmware?

EDIT- reading it now, duh

1 Like

Looks like some cool stuff. I get so nervous about doing firmware changes…when I’m back in town tomorrow I’ll look into it. Not even sure what firmware I have at the moment, knuckle dragger over here :slight_smile:

1 Like

The process is very straight forward and it takes less than 10seconds, really simple and fast.

1 Like