Koala Sampler App

The iphone where it’s not working is on the latest IOS 16.7. I have the latest Koala … at least, App store can’t offer me an update on what I have (1.4078 (5887))

I have it working on two old (probably +6 years) devices, running IOS 15, and Koala 1.4080 (5901) …

That’s interesting … must be the version on the app store for my new phone has not yet updated.

EDIT: Aha, problem sorted. I ‘offloaded’ the app then re-installed. Now I have koala 1.4080 and the mixer. Thanks for the prodding about versions, should have thought of that myself

7 Likes

Hey, do you know if it’s possible to send midi from an A4mk2 to koala via usb with let’s say that usb-lightning adaptor, to trigger samples from the A4 sequencer? I guess I can but not hear any audio :sweat_smile:? Is the solution to use some little audio/midi interface? I’m tryna do it dawless.

I’m passing iPad Midi to a DN thru the lightning connector to the USB of the DN.

I can’t say for the A4, never had it in my hands. It seems the A4 can control Midi apps on the iPad so I guess it’s doable. I would get a MIDI monitoring app on the iPad to see what’s received by the iPad.

1 Like

The A4mk2 will sequence koala, but koala doesn’t send midi other than clock, just recives it.

Should not be a problem since @Tapepusher wnats to send from A4 to Koala.

1 Like

Koala also sends midi when you tap its sample pads. It can be recorded elsewhere and then played back into Koala.

1 Like

And is the sound sent back to the A4mk2 too via the usb cable too? How would it be monitored/sent to the main outs?

I don’t know how it’d work, I’ve only sent it sound via Overbridge (sidechain) or via the external analog inputs.

Yeah, it does audio over usb back and forth. Just plug your phone or tablet in and have a mess. It’s pretty straightforward.

1 Like

Ok cool. My A4 is being repaired at Elektron so I can’t, I’m just planning my setup.

1 Like

Ah no worries. But yeah I do the exact same thing with my digitone/koala and I find it works flawlessly. I have it set up so the midi tracks on the Digitone trigger koala pads to record and stop recording, so it samples perfect loops into Koala. If I’ve got time later on all film a quick video for you. If I’ve not by tomorrow eve, then feel free to @ me to remind me.

3 Likes

I would love to see that, I’m particularly curious about koala’s latency, especially if you’re live looping with it (if it’s bang on or not)

I’m on the verge of buying an OT as a sampler companion to my A4 but Koala has sparked my interest, I think I’d need to grab a little interface that would simultaneously charge my phone too (I don’t think the cam adaptor does charge the phone too :thinking:)

1 Like

The adapter does charge your phone

1 Like

To charge your phone, you’d need the bigger camera connection kit:

2 Likes

To clarify, my iPhone 12 mini is lightning (not usbc), and my plan would be to connect the A4mk2 to it via an adaptor to send midi to koala.

Isn’t the bigger adaptor only for having a separate usbc socket too?

If only it were possible to click that Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter link and look at the photos.

The separate socket is a lightning connection (which can be used for charging your phone, while your A4 is connected to the USB-A socket of the bigger adopter).

The A4 won’t charge your phone via the USB-A connection (for example, if you’d only use the smaller adopter).

Hope that makes sense!

1 Like

I’d be really interested in seeing that too! Got a Digitone and am just aboiut to buy the Koala mixer upgrade.

I have sequenced the Digitone from my iPad before, using Rozeta sequencer suite and Aum. That worked well, but I just did it as a test run, so need to return to that!

2 Likes

You can start and stop sampling with midi - so you can sequence them along with other sequenced material in sync to get exact bars etc

When I last did this it was using another app as the sequencer - not sure if the inbuilt one can send note commands to the midi mappings

I hope this gets the info across, I’ve not filmed in ages, and didn’t consider I use my phone for Koala, and that’s my cam, so had to Web cam it with obs. But yeah, also I was nervous so I had a bong and was chewing gum, so I’m sorry for the pain you’re about to experience. :rofl:

Oh and I didn’t get into it but mapping the Digitone to Koala’s performance fx and controlling them with the sequencer is really worth while.

9 Likes

At least you put all chances on your side :wink:

6 Likes