Koala Sampler App

The UI implementation of the Tape Delay is beautiful.

2 Likes

But it’s no longer on the desk. It’s stowed away. :crazy_face:

Hi. I’m new to Koala (joining at an opportune moment…) and I love it so much.
I have been trying to find a good stand-alone inspirational scratchpad that does not get in the way and Koala is clearly the best an most fun answer:
I’ve been though these (my reflections, others are using all of these in amazing ways)

• OP-1: far too quirky and forcing adaptation before an idea is down
  • SP-404mkii: Could not get past the workflow and what i felt were “bolted-on” effects
  • Polyend Tracker: Close 2nd after Koala. I liked the zen of the tracker thinking and I could probably make it work, but it would have demanded more effort of learning the ropes

Koala on my iPad is so immediate in ux, sampling etc that time just flies and the results are not bad considering my limited skills. I’ll finish a first track in a few days and that’s a big achievement.
And this new upgrade looks ace too!

6 Likes

I just tried connecting my Launchkey to Android Koala and it worked flawlessly.

Does anyone know a way to make it map MIDI notes to different pads rather than play the selected pad chromatically?

What a class upgrade! If you’re a fan and haven’t already, drop a review on the App Store, there’s very few ratings for the Apple one and it really helps the developer.

2 Likes

There’s midi mapping in the settings

I tried mapping a specific pad to a note, but it didn’t work.

Everything else did though.

Love this, instabuy! I was confident that if mixer anytime happens, Marek will do it right, without overcomplicating the app, and he did. Koala is truly one of, if not the best iOS music making app when it comes to GUI / UX design and is getting really close to the power of SP-404 (already better in some areas).

SP obviously still has some advantages like:

• hardware/firmware integration (could be solved with improved midi mapping or native controller support)
  • skipback
  • huge sample memory (could be solved by streaming long samples directly from storage)
  • general sampling workflow: with SP you just connect the device to it’s inputs (or iPad to USB) and record, while in Koala it’s necessary to fiddle with AUv3/IAA hosts (to sample plugins) and audio interfaces to sample external gear. Could be solved with native AUv3 “input” in Koala, but concerning sampling hardware… well, maybe just use class compliant devices with USB audio functionality. Or controller with integrated audio interface… like SP-404 :slight_smile:
3 Likes

I wish I could access channel effects from the sample pad, so that I can change the effect settings while triggering a pad. Now it‘s only possible via MIDI

1 Like

Aside from the tactile aspect, the fx quality/ overall sound on the 404mk2 is still superior to me even after this update, so I won’t replace it with koala

Still, I’m really impressed with the update. Workflow-wise koala surpasses the sp now for sure. EQ per pad and 4 fx groups are features that i wish were on the 404

4 Likes

This makes it so much more usable for me for killing time on my phone now. Using the mixer, effects and resampling makes it easy to get into techno territory, which I felt a bit too limited before to get to (quickly). Great for sound design

1 Like

And it’s one of the few quality audio apps that’s available on Android as well.

4 Likes

Links to the samples in the Project in the YouTube Description.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I can’t install the Koala mixer on my newest iPhone … iPhone mini 13 / IOS 16 … on the perform page the text “mixer” is not there.

I’ve installed it right on two older devices (running IOS 15) so I know how to do the install correctly, I’m sure I’m not looking in the wrong place for instance.

Is anyone sharing this experience ?

(If you’re on the audiobus forum, apologies for the crosspost).

I had to update the app first. Then the mixer text appeared.

1 Like

Good call. Though I did try that already, and just tried again, but, there’s no update available according to the apple store.

I can see the mixer text although i’m on iOS 11 so it should not be a problem of the OS being too old.

What’s your current version?

iphone 14 pro running 16.4.1 - mixer option is down the bottom to the right of the hold button. Both landscape and vertical views.

In case anybody comes looking for info at some point, I can also confirm that it works with the mpd218 controller.

The iphone where it’s not working is on the latest IOS 16.7. I have the latest Koala … at least, App store can’t offer me an update on what I have (1.4078 (5887))

I have it working on two old (probably +6 years) devices, running IOS 15, and Koala 1.4080 (5901) …

That’s interesting … must be the version on the app store for my new phone has not yet updated.

EDIT: Aha, problem sorted. I ‘offloaded’ the app then re-installed. Now I have koala 1.4080 and the mixer. Thanks for the prodding about versions, should have thought of that myself

7 Likes

Hey, do you know if it’s possible to send midi from an A4mk2 to koala via usb with let’s say that usb-lightning adaptor, to trigger samples from the A4 sequencer? I guess I can but not hear any audio :sweat_smile:? Is the solution to use some little audio/midi interface? I’m tryna do it dawless.