Kinotone Ribbons Lo-Fi Tape Pedal

Not sure if there’s a thread about this already. I have the gen loss 2 and mood 2 and this is up that same alley. Just got this in and I’m really loving it! Anyone else have any thoughts on it and how they like to use it?

8 Likes

@circuitghost any thoughts/interest in this pedal? Seems like it might be right up yours as well given as versatile and deep it is.

1 Like

Sounds and looks very cool, but I’m still exploring what I got and hoping to god Chase Bliss won’t release something new in awhile now. But this one seems to have a lot going for it. Thanks for the tip :pray:t2:

1 Like

I preordered this pedal and should be receiving it within a few weeks, hopefully. I got it as a gen loss alternative, and possibly as a replacement for my Blooper (if I end up liking it) On paper it seems like the perfect pedal for me. It sounds beautiful and it has some really inventive features. The four track asynchronous looper (in stereo) could be its own pedal, but it’s just one of many things this pedal does. My only fear is that it might be too feature heavy. Hopefully the ui is easy to navigate and it isn’t a hassle to jump between different modes… I’ll definitely post about my experience with it once I receive mine.

4 Likes

I’ve found saving to be an absolute pain in the ass - I think it just doesn’t work sometimes. It’s otherwise not too complicated to use after a bit of practice. It sounds incredible (better than the gen loss mkii in my opinion).

2 Likes

Must say this one looks great also.

Fair to say its a bit of Mood / Blooper and Gen Loss all in one??

Nice pedal, kind of reminds me of the isolator efx on the 404

Is that something that’s been addressed with the creator? They seem pretty responsive to concerns/suggestions, from what I’ve seen on the Kinotone forum.

Every time I nearly buckle and buy one of these pedals, I turn to my SP-404SX for support.

Thanks for reminding me to do that.

:wink:

Cheers!

3 Likes

I’m 99% sure it’s just a “me” problem, honestly. The process is just annoying and I have to re-learn how to save presets every time I want to. It’s the only problem with an otherwise absolutely fantastic pedal. The touch modes are wild, reverb is great, and the tape effects are stellar. I’m extremely excited for the saturation mode he’s adding soon.

1 Like

Hey @m0ld, sorry you’re having trouble with the presets on Ribbons. Let me try giving you a super simple crash course:

• Hold down the push button for 3 seconds to load up the presets menu. Once you see one of the four LEDs light up red, you’re in it.
  • Press the push button to toggle between the eight preset slots. 1-4 are red, 5-8 are blue.
  • Tap Touch to load a preset slot (think “left footswitch to load”).
  • Tap Bypass TWICE to save your current settings into a preset slot.
  • If you want to just exit without loading or saving, hold down the push button again for 3 seconds.

We added the double tap to save after receiving some feedback about people accidentally overwriting the factory presets. In the last severel weeks we’ve worked hard to fine tune our documentation and I think how the presets work is much more clearly described now - in our PDF manual as well as the online manual.

Gonna duck out now, I don’t mean to hijack this thread, just wanted to pop in and (hopefully) clear up any confusion! :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Pedal is a masterpiece, I like it as much as the mood mk2 and gen loss 2.

I think the disintegration mode could use some refining. I was hoping it’d be more like the el Capistan sound on sound mode in how it degrades at times. It feels like it could be refined but maybe not?

Pedal is very very easy to navigate after one solid tutorial. Kudos, a job very well done!!

2 Likes

Uh-huh.

So this thing has a looper.

In stereo.

Hmmmmmm.

1 Like

Hey @jaakjensen

I presume you are associated with Kinotone. Firstly congratulations on the launch.

Can you tell me more info on future availability? Interested to try etc

Many thanks.

Thanks for this! I’ll give it another go later this evening. Your community involvement and constant support for Ribbons is probably the single best feature :slight_smile:

Yep. Four stereo loopers that have independent lengths, variable speed, and can be run through the tape effects and reverb. Between this and the Mood I’m thinking I won’t be needing my Blooper anymore, but we’ll see. I really like how the Blooper can bake in effects/modfiers, but I also don’t like having too many redundancies with my gear, so I might be ok with loosing some of the Blooper’s features to be able to focus completely on the Ribbon’s capabilities.

1 Like

I use the Blooper very much as a loop designer, tho, and less as an actual multi-layered looper. The stuff you can do with the 60 seconds layer is just out of this world, once you start geling with it.

Does this help?

1 Like

Right, me too. I guess it could be argued that multilayered loops, which are synced and sped up/slowed down in relation to one another could be a loop design feature, but it’s not as enticing as the nuances that come from the Blooper’s modifiers.

1 Like

No, you’re not wrong, that’s part of an experience, for sure, though it’s one more frequently travelled, albeit perhaps not usually to this extent in this format.

And also, features on a list never defines an instrument or a tool. Sometimes, even the most bare-bone kit can lead to unexpected and outstanding results. It’s the combination of the tool’s excellent and whoever wields it that make the difference.

2 Likes