Kinotone Ribbons Lo-Fi Tape Pedal

It should work just like the el cap sound on sound mode. You need to dial in the desired filtering, wow, flutter, crinkle, etc, for things to degrade over time. You also need to have the record head/touch engaged for it to degrade.

@Kultschar There will likely be a small sale of reserve stock during the month of May or June so stay tuned. Best place to find out about these things is the Kinotone forum or our IG page.

Oooh that makes sense! I thought on its own it would degrade like that, not with the effects put on it. Thank you!

1 Like

Noted!

Thanks!

@jaakjensen
Best of luck in your new venture!

Will you be selling via major retailers once you have stock, or is it direct only?
Also, how much will it cost?

Thanks @Helland. We are direct only right now. We are a small team of three people and can only build, test, and ship so many units every week. We hope to eventually find a contract manufacturer who can help us to increase our output but still maintain our quality standards, but that may not happen for awhile.

Ribbons is $399 USD, which may seem expensive, but we feel like we’re offering a lot of value - there are many unique and powerful tools inside, everything is manufactured in the USA + 3 years of development time, and we actively engage with users through our forum and incorporate sensible feedback via firmware updates.

6 Likes

$399 appears to be the norm for advanced pedals these days, so although expensive I think you’ll have no problem selling them. I’ve often wondered how long it would take for someone to do something like this, so it’s nice it see it happen!

1 Like

$399 is a bargain!

3 Likes

I received my Ribbons today. After playing with it for about an hour I can safely say that this pedal is definitely worth its price. It’s well designed and packs so many quality features, and as others have already mentioned, the menu system is intuitive and enjoyable to use. It only took about 20 mins for me to fully grasp how to navigate between the different pages and the touch modes.

I will say though, it’s gonna take me a bit more time to remember the context of each knob within all of the different parameter pages. Same goes for the looper. It requires a few button combos to navigate, which I can imagine might be an issue for guitarists who are wanting to seamlessly jump between loop layers. This shouldn’t be an issue for those who are using their Ribbons with a midi foot controller though, since all of the Ribbon’s parameters can be mapped to midi.

One last thing- this pedal sounds absolutely gorgeous! All of the tape parameters are spot on and give you a detailed level of control. The reverb is lush, and the touch modes add an experimental quality, while remaining very usable. I imagine the crushed tape and disintegration loop will be my go-to touch modes, since I found them to be particularly complimentary to the types of sounds I make. It’s amazing to think they were only added in the latest firmware!

10 Likes

Nice to hear your opinion on it. I’d love one myself but I live in the UK and due to the price of the pedal itself, the import tax and duties involved would render the total cost prohibitive.

To put it into context, I could buy a brand new SP-404MKII for cosiderably cheaper.

If they manage to get it into mass production, bring the cost down considerably and find a UK distributor then I would definitely buy one as long as it’s no more than £250. I won’t pay more than £250 for any pedal no matter how good it is. It’s like a mental barrier hard-wired into my brain!

To put that into persepctive, Ribbons would cost double my maximum tolerable amount by the time it had arrived in the UK and the relevant taxes had been accounted for. So unfortunately for me and I’m guessing many of us, the price is prohibitive and out of reach.

3 Likes

Just wanted to add, there are pedals I would pay more for but they are stuff like the ZOIA that have an infinite amount of utility to them.

But for a task-specific pedal, the cost limit has to kick in and for me it is set strictly at £250, and it takes a very special pedal for me to pay that.

1 Like

Cool

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CslCHkzOEfF/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

I’ve been exploring the Ribbon’s midi capabilities with my M8, and two work really well together! With the M8’s sequencer I’m able to add REP commands to cc’s allowing for parameters on the Ribbons to change incrementally. It can lend itself to some pretty organic sound design and grooves.

2 Likes

got it. … sounds excellent!!

2 Likes

Just a heads-up there a re a few B-stock units available from Kintone right now if anyone is interested in these. It doesn’t look like they’ll be making any new ones for a while: Ribbons B-Stock - Kinotone Audio (I ordered one Friday).

1 Like

I swear I’m not affiliated, but there are a few b-stock units of this amazing pedal in their store right now: Ribbons - Kinotone

3 Likes

Top notch pedal, highly recommended!

3 Likes

It’s so versatile. Tape warble, chorus, a solid reverb, the weird and wonderful touch effects. I adore it.

2 Likes

gone already!

2 Likes

Yeah the reverb is actually really nice!

A new pedal preorder out, looks very nice - it is called Sparks!

Sparks is a stereo overdrive, wavefolder, and multi-mode filter that combines an all-analog signal path with state-of-the-art digital control. Every parameter is continuously-variable and can be modulated by the LFO and envelope follower — letting you navigate vast spectrums of texture and motion.

Color your signal in one sweep, from subtle grit to blown out fuzz. Sculpt your harmonics with a shape-shifting filter. Spin the LFO across the stereo field to create lush analog soundscapes. You can even play Spark as an instrument on its own with a built-in SID Chip-inspired synthesizer.

3 Likes