Keyboard tracking to note decay?

I’m working on a piano sound and can’t find a way to make higher notes decay faster. Have I missed something?

I don’t think that’s possible. I’m trying to think of a hack, but can’t come up with anything… p-locks will do it, but only on a pr-step basis and not for individual notes in a chord.

I guess you could just use a filtered reverb or delay so that lower frequencies end up sustained more? Probably not quite the same effect as what you’re looking for but it’s something.

You could also get a MIDI processor such as the Blokas Midihub, and make a setup that alters decay time depending on where you play on the keyboard. That would probably only work well monophonically and if what you’re playing involved letting a note decay before you hit the next one.

Well, I suppose p-locks is the simplest solution. Rather tedious though.

1 Like

in ‘sound setup’ menu, you might try playing with settings for Key Scaling for operators A, B1 + B2 and Filter Keytrack, which all can probably be bent to somewhat achieve your goal of decay of audible sound following keyboard tracking

1 Like

I’ve been doing something like that in the sound setup menu using key scaling for the operators. There are separate options for a, b1 and b2. Less modulation = less loud/complex. Combine it with filter keytrack and that’s the most you can do i think. I suspect it won’t be very true to an acoustic piano, but very workable nonetheless.

But it will only affect the brightness of higher notes, not how fast they fade out.
What the Digitone needs, is a four destination setting page for keytrack, like the one for velocity, modulation, etc.

1 Like

you will have to be creative.

Ive left a feature request because I ran into this exact question multiple times before and couldnt find an answer. Leaving likes and discussing things is a viable way to achieve change here :yellow_heart:

1 Like

The only workaround i can think off,
But haven’t checked myself yet so it might be a lousy reply… multimap?
Finish your sound as close as you like it to sound but with the longest decay desired for low notes. Now Save it to the soundpool within a project mulitple times but with a tweaked decay per sound. So your projects soundpool is filled with a bunch of the same sounds with different decay lengths. now setup multimap and devide the range in desired amount of octaves/splits and assign the saved sounds in the soundpool to desired split/octave range. I sincerely hopes this works. If it works the sound can only be recalled as a project and played via multimap or external midikeyboard.

1 Like

Exactly what I’m proposing.

i can confirm this works like a sharm. 128 slots so every note in 10 octaves spread can have a unique decay length.

1 Like